[SOLVED] can't install kxstudio-meta-all; using ubuntu studio 22

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

kissthesky7
Established Member

[SOLVED] can't install kxstudio-meta-all; using ubuntu studio 22

Post by kissthesky7 »

Hello,
I am using ubuntu studio 22.0 as base, have installed the kxstudio-repos.deb as instructed. I cannot install kxstudio-meta-all; at first I removed studio-controls which conflict, (according to a discussion in GitHub) . I then installed carla-git but I am still getting the following error message:

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kxstudio-meta-audio-applications : Depends: carla-git but it is not installable
 linuxaudio-new-session-manager : Conflicts: non-session-manager but 5:1.5.0-1kxstudio1 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
Why does it say carla-git not installable?

carla-git is already the newest version (5:2.4.3+git20220415).
How do I fix the conflicting session-manager?

I have always managed to sucessfully use KXstudio with Ubuntu Studio in the past (up to 18.0), I am still trying to get used to the KDE plasma desktop, which is now the new default desktop. I'm still a bit concerned that this is a suitable desktop for my older laptop which is not the most powerful...
Last edited by kissthesky7 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: can't install kxstudio-meta-all; using ubuntu studio 22

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

kissthesky7 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:07 am [...]
I have always managed to sucessfully use KXstudio with Ubuntu Studio in the past (up to 18.0), I am still trying to get used to the KDE plasma desktop, which is now the new default desktop. I'm still a bit concerned that this is a suitable desktop for my older laptop which is not the most powerful...
I'm afraid that KXStudio as a distribution, or Destop Environment, is no more. The developer only supports the applications he develops himself (mainly Carla and Cadence I think). When I follow the instructions you mention then I end up with KX repositories for Ubuntu Bionic which is version 18. In your Ubuntu version that's bound to get into conflicts. You might have to get used to making music in Linux without KXStudio specific "things". Sorry man.

Carla will keep on working just fine in the future I think.
dreamer
Established Member

Post by dreamer »

Sorry but you are spreading lies and FUD. This isn't based on anything.

I use KX repositories on various debian and devuan based machines and they work absolutely fine.
If you have issues with the repo please report them to falktx.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

dreamer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:50 am Sorry but you are spreading lies and FUD. This isn't based on anything.

I use KX repositories on various debian and devuan based machines and they work absolutely fine.
If you have issues with the repo please report them to falktx.
I don't know for who your remark is meant. But I was only telling what my experiences are on Ubuntu 20.04. Carla etc. - like you say - work just fine. No problems there. Neither has the topic starter.

I do not install anything other than Carla anymore from the KXStudio repo's. And I recommend other users to do the same. I have a very good reason for that. FalkTX himself definitely does not want KXStudio to be used as a distribution: he quit being a member of this forum and on his website it says on 2019-09-24:
[...] The KXStudio ISO images were taken down.
[...] Plasma and KDE ecosystem is changing too fast, it does not make it easy for what I want in KXStudio.
[...] Anyway, the bigger news is that the KXStudio repositories are coming back! [...] but not in a state that matches what they used to be before.
[...] General applications and tools will not be supported anymore. This is mainly to reduce the burden of maintaining the repos, as applications often have very complex dependencies compared to plugins (some are actually quite difficult to build). I will be packaging a few that I personally use, or that have stalled in feature development.
[...] KXStudio was and still is a one-person project (with the occasional help here and there for small things).

At that point in time I knew enough. Combine that with the fact that the Ubuntu 20 repo's indicate that they're for Ubuntu 18: that should be a warning. I don't care if the single maintainer of KXStudio has, or will ever, change his mind: KXStudio is history for me, other than Carla of course. That's FalkTX's baby and very usefull.

There are recent entries in the "News" part on his website that, luckily, mention Ubuntu 20 and 22. So his repo's indeed are compatible with the latest releases. However, I am not gonna read through 1.000 lines on remarks on someone's website to determine if the term "Bionic" is erroneous, adjusted or whatever. IMHO it's up to a maintainer - or developer - to be clear in his description of said repository. And if it doesn't work, I'm inclined to blame the deprecation of said repo (ver 18) and distro (version 22). Period.

Anyway, one (polite) user here reports that it's not working (which in first instance seems logical to me) and another (impolite) user says that it is. It's one against the other. Maybe you can help him instead of yelling and swearing. How should he get rid of said errors? Your reply is completely useless to the topic starter and plain rude.

I stand by my point that KXStudio should only be used for FalkTX's applications like Carla and NOT anymore for installing the KXStudio. Why? Because the maintainer/developer of KXStudio says so himself.

Next time reply politely and with substance. This is not Twitter.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

KXStudio does these days refer to just the repos, i.e., the distro is no more, and I'm not sure there was a DE associated with that name, but afaiu the first post was referring to the repos, which are afaik still being maintained, so the reply was a bit of a confusing side track. The KX news page talks about updating them. Whether their state is working is another question, and maybe there are conflicts with Ubuntu Studio, given the overlap in packages they supply. #kxstudio on libera.chat for the horses mouth though.
Last edited by milkii on Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

milkii wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 am [...] afaiu the first post was referring to the repos, which are afaik still being maintained, so the reply was a bit of a confusing side track.[...]
I can understand why you would think that. Maybe I can explain what I meant. The KXSTudio repo's had better only be used for FalkTX's fine applications like Carla, Catia and such. But you don't have to if you really want the complete "KXStudio" experience. No problem if that works for you.

However, the TS is trying to install kxstudio-meta-all which is not one single specific application. I advise against that. In general.

I think that there is no need for anyone to tell me or the TS that this does work on "system this and that" and that you can get help on a specific KXStudio forum etc. for that. I don't mean that in an insulting way. The TS doesn't really like KDE and you can use FalkTX's wonderful programs just fine on XFCE or Gnome and be happy.

Anyway, on topic. Dear @kissthesky7, if something fails to install from a repository then it's advisable to update al repo's with the following command (which you probably already did):

sudo apt-get update
Then try to install again. In your case, if that doesn't help, I'd forget about the package kxstudio-meta-all. Chances are you don't need/want it. :)
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:26 amThe KXSTudio repo's had better only be used for FalkTX's fine applications like Carla, Catia and such.
The focus is on audio apps and plugins like https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins (and JACK itself in the Extras repo), so not just falktx's software.

<milkii> so kxstudio-meta-all is incompatible with ubuntu studio base?
<falktx> milkii: no I had a typo
<falktx> fixed in https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/commit/4a3d4d649bd12b3bb684efe206b953883c90af3b
<falktx> cadence is incompatible with studio-controls, requested from ubuntustudio folks. so the metapackage uses "cadence | studio-controls"
<falktx> you can use one or the other
Edit: P.S. Having been a gtk2 and tiling wm person, KDE Plasma is surprisingly not that bad imho or heavy.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

dreamer
Established Member

Post by dreamer »

kxstudio-meta-all is already the newest version (6.1.7).
Works absolutely fine on my machines.
kissthesky7
Established Member

Post by kissthesky7 »

Hello again,

Glad to hear suggestions! From the replies, I realise that FalkTX doesn't use this forum anymore, so for specific issues to his repo, I should also try the irc.

As one person suggested, I just tried apt update once more and attempted to re-install the kxstudio-meta-all package, since its supposed to have been updated to work, & at least now I have only one smaller package that conflicts:

Errors were encountered while processing:
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-Smh2kb/16-dragonfly-reverb_6%3a3.2.6-1kxstudio1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So I will figure out how to install dragonfly reverb, since I really enjoy that plugin.

The following additional packages will be installed:
  dragonfly-reverb
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dragonfly-reverb
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
64 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/1,962 kB of archives.
After this operation, 36.1 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 446448 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../dragonfly-reverb_6%3a3.2.6-1kxstudio1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking dragonfly-reverb (6:3.2.6-1kxstudio1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/dragonfly-reverb_6%3a3.2.6-1kxstudio1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/lv2/DragonflyEarlyReflections.lv2/DragonflyEarlyReflections_dsp.so', which is also in package dragonfly-reverb-lv2 3.2.5-1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/dragonfly-reverb_6%3a3.2.6-1kxstudio1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
so dragonfly reverb plugin is available from Ubuntu studio? I should just stick with that version?

So far Cadence controls do not work perfectly; the cpu scaling governer is greyed out...its always been accessible in the past. Its good to know that things are working smoothly for a few people. I managed to launch Ardour & Carla from within Claudia but will have to do furthur testing tmr. I am so used to a certain workflow, hopefully will still be manageable
kissthesky7
Established Member

Post by kissthesky7 »

I seemed to have managed to fix my install of the KXStudio meta-all from a solution for a similar situation with:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/dragonfly-reverb_6%3a3.2.6-1kxstudio1_amd64.deb
sudo apt -f install
Hopefully things will still work when there are kernel & other updates....

I had to add a separate gui that works with Plasma to change my CPU frequency rather then be able to access it from within Cadence, but apart from that things seem to work ok so far. I'll mark solved.