manjaro and jack autoconnect control absent .. jack or jack2?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilakmonoke
Established Member

manjaro and jack autoconnect control absent .. jack or jack2?

Post by lilakmonoke »

hi all

so meanwhile i have switched from ubuntu to manjaro arch based linux and its like day and night. 30% more processing power and she rolls steady as a rock even with the rolling releases. i highly recommend falk to move over to a modern linux like manjaro.

i start jack and pulseaudio with a script. im using the original jack not jack2, not sure why. seemed to be simpler. my audio interface is a 64 channel RME hdsp raydat which is amazing. the hdspmixer has full on totalmix functionality. i still use carla which is superstable under manjaro. in ubuntu it would crash regularly.
pulseaudio -k
killall jackd
killall carla
killall hdspmixer
sleep 1

jackd -R -d alsa -p 128 -n 2 &

#jackd --autoconnect a -R -d alsa --capture hw:0,0 --playback hw:1,11 -p 512 -n 2 &

#jackd --autoconnect a -R -d firewire -p 512 -n 2 &

sleep 1

pulseaudio --start
pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
pactl load-module module-jack-source
pacmd set-default-sink jack_out

a2jmidid -e &
sleep 1

/usr/bin/purr-data &
sleep 1

/usr/bin/carla /home/lilakmonoke/studio/hdsp.carxp &
sleep 1

/usr/bin/hdspmixer /home/lilakmonoke/studio/mixer &
after that i somehow lose the functionality of my multimedia keys which i cant figure out. seems to have something to do with restarting pulseaudio.

recently the --autoconnect option in jackd seems to have disappeared after working fine for a few months. if i look at the man pages its not there any more.

https://manpages.debian.org/buster/jack ... .1.en.html

questions:

whats up with that? same thing in jack2? would you recommend switching to jack2?
lilakmonoke
Established Member

Re: manjaro and jack autoconnect control absent .. jack or jack2?

Post by lilakmonoke »

i just replaced jack1 with jack2 and yes, then i have the autoconnect option in jackd. also now i can go to 64 samples buffersize with is almost no lag at all. no xruns up to now. all this with a i5 processor with 4 cores and the standard manjaro kernel. nicely done!

i highly recommend the RME hdsp raydat audio interface. you can get them used for around 350$. i combine them with behringer ada8000 which can be had used for under 100 euro. 4 of those will give you 32 in and 32 out channels. i have a brilliant midas venice 240 mixer and can digitize it completely with this setup.