Carla not receiving set_active osc command from TouchOSC

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bobbyshane

Carla not receiving set_active osc command from TouchOSC

Post by bobbyshane »

So I'm on this quest to get a laptop up and running to use Carla as an instrument and FX rack to use with an old BR-1180 digital recorder so I'm looking at a screen as little as possible. And a huge part of that is that I want to be able to have multiple synths loaded but only a certain one or certain ones active when I turn them on via midi or osc. I can do this easily in Reaper but a huge part of my quest is for this to be completely open source.

So far I've tried this with TouchOSC and a Line 6 FBV Express Mk II, and I just can't seem to get it to work. In Touch OSC I can control a plugin's volume in Carla just fine, but when I set a toggle button in TouchOSC to send the command, I'm getting nothing at all. Not even a blink from the LED on the plugin in Carla. Now, admittedly I'm new to OSC but the trouble doesn't seem to be with the osc command I'm sending but either with TouchOSC or with Carla. I can even successfully send the command over wifi from my Android phone in a Ubuntu shell via Termux. I've tried all of the following in TouchOSC and have had no luck:

/Carla/1/set_active

/Carla/1/set_active i

/Carla/1/set_active i

All with the value's set as 0 to 1, 0 to 1.27, or 0 to 127, etc.

I've even tried stupid stuff like inverting the value's and nothing.

Meanwhile, I set a fader to the following and it works without a hitch:

/Carla/1/set_volume

with the value's set to 0 and 1 and response set to relative.

I've been doing all this with both tcp and udp on port 8000 but I have also tried 9000 and having tcp on 8000 and udp on 9000 and vice versa. I'm reloading Carla every time I make changes etc. but nothing.

So, alas I attempted instead to use my Line 6 FBV pedal and convert the midi event coming from a pedal stomp into the aforementioned set_active osc command and everything I try either leads me in circles because a program is no longer available, doesn't seem to play nice with AVL MX, or requires far more scripting ability than my meager experience is capable of. Regardless I keep failing to pull this off and it seems like it should be really simple.

So I keep coming back to where I started. What am I doing wrong with Touch OSC and Carla? Or is it not just me?

All that said, if anybody knows of an OSC app for Android that plays more nicely with Carla, I'm all ears. Any help anybody can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.