After upgrading to 20.04, Cadence launch jack failed

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MGdesigner
Established Member

After upgrading to 20.04, Cadence launch jack failed

Post by MGdesigner »

I installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04+ Kxstudio. When I logged into desktop, Cadence always started automatically and jack worked well . Today after upgrading system to Ubuntu Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1 , I found Cadence can't launch jack now. (I had purge KXstudio ppa and reinstalled it. ) . Does anyone know how to fix it? :oops:

My log is below
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 85
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: Acquired audio card Audio0
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: creating alsa driver ... hw:PCH,0|hw:PCH,0|256|2|48000|2|2|nomon|swmeter|-|16bit
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: ERROR:

ATTENTION: The playback device "hw:PCH,0" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: Released audio card Audio0
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: ERROR: Cannot initialize driver
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
Mon Nov 9 16:51:30 2020: ERROR: Failed to open server
robin
Established Member

Re: After upgrading to 20.04, Cadence launch jack failed

Post by robin »

This reads like your soundcard is used by some other process and jack can't take control of it. You can use

Code: Select all

lsof /dev/snd/*
(maybe as root) to find the process and end it before starting jack. Also check if PCH,0 is the correct hardware for jack, thats an onboard card.
MGdesigner
Established Member

Post by MGdesigner »

robin wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:01 pm This reads like your soundcard is used by some other process and jack can't take control of it. You can use

lsof /dev/snd/*
(maybe as root) to find the process and end it before starting jack. Also check if PCH,0 is the correct hardware for jack, thats an onboard card.
Thanks for you reply. After googling, I have comfirmed my situation as the bug: Internal speaker (Audio) is not working in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS after upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. After doing this:
sudo setfacl -m u:username:rw /dev/snd/*
I have recoverd jack can control soundcard again,but Pulseaudio can't automatically set sink to jack just like Cadence+Pulseaudio bridge before. Every booting , I have to manually set pulseaudio output to jack sink. Do you or anyone know which pulseaudio config to set sinks?
robin
Established Member

Post by robin »

That sets acl-permissions for your user, didn't even know that worked on device files... Since this solved your problem I suppose it is reboot stable?
Seems like a dirty hack to me personally since the permissions should be granted by audio group membership (but that might just be a Ubuntu thing) and depends on having the acl-package installed.
Can't help you too much with the pulseaudio sinks since i'm on ArchLinux, but I dont think its any pulseaudio config file. I only had to install the pulseaudio-jack package and the bridges connact autmatically when launching jack, no configs edited. Maybe check bridge-type or autostart options in cadence.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I gave up using Cadence and IIRC read a post somewhere that falktx doesn't use it any more either. I use Qjackctl and put this in the "Execute script after startup" section:

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2 && a2jmidid -e &
If you want to use the source as well you can do:

pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2;pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2 && a2jmidid -e &
a2jmidid is so an ALSA MIDI device such as a keyboard can be bridged to JACK.
Another option using Qjackctl is to enable Dbus and Pulseaudio will load the JACK modules automatically if they are installed.
The essential package for either method is called pulseaudio-module-jack in Debian. May be the same in *buntu, maybe not, I don't use it.
MGdesigner
Established Member

Post by MGdesigner »

MGdesigner wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 am
Thanks for you reply. After googling, I have comfirmed my situation as the bug: Internal speaker (Audio) is not working in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS after upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. After doing this:
I have recoverd jack can control soundcard again.
sorry I reply myself. I redo it again. I need to correct it.
not worked, but this :
sudo apt purge timidity-daemon
made my laptop's jack2 recover again. Or both of them.