usb interface to laptop, then out to mixer

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hapibeli
Established Member

usb interface to laptop, then out to mixer

Post by hapibeli »

Why do all of the connections say mixer to usb interface? That seems backwards to me. If I send my signals into the laptop, through the DAW, out to the mixer and through my speakers, it means I get to mix the signal in the DAW and send THAT stereo mix of music from the interface to the mixer.
What am I missing here? If I send the signal of my synth, keyboard through the mixer with its 2 XLR and two 1/4 inch inputs,it will be mixed before I get it to the DAW, right?
My interface has 4 XLR'S so plenty of inputs for my usage.
uns4ph3
Established Member

Re: usb interface to laptop, then out to mixer

Post by uns4ph3 »

Two reasons to do inputs into a mixer first: gain staging so you can get levels where you want them, and get stone spree basic EQ for the room you're in if you need it and your mixer has that functionality. Then run the outs from the sound card into the speakers.

Someone who has used mixers more can probably tell you how to get your speakers to come off the main out as well but i am not that well versed in such fancy gadgetry.

If you ran your mixer between the interface and the speakers, all you get is a volume knob for the sound. Is that what you're aiming for?
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.