Unable to locate package kxstudio-desktop in all of New Orleans

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fulltwentycharacters
Established Member

Unable to locate package kxstudio-desktop in all of New Orleans

Post by fulltwentycharacters »

I have been running Ubuntu for 10 years (now bionic, soon to be 20.04) and, after reading that for "professional" audio one should run kx-studio or AV linux; I enabled the kx repositories...
Then I tried to run apt-get install kx-studio-desktop and got the message (in a terminal) E: could not locate package kxsudio-desktop
I followed the instructions in the kx-studio.com website to get that far...
But their instructions were something like: Now go to your software/package manager and install it...
Maybe apt-get isn't my package manager and doesn't know where to look?
I'm in no great hurry to do professional audio, because it might just show how bad I sound in "high definition" but I will wait to see if anyone has any advice;
Hopefully it's because I am such a newbie that the solution might be "you have to reboot the computer after running apt-get" or something equally simple
Thanks in advance for any help, fellow linuxmusicians!
raboof
Established Member

Re: Unable to locate package kxstudio-desktop in all of New Orleans

Post by raboof »

fulltwentycharacters wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:05 am I enabled the kx repositories...
Then I tried to run apt-get install kx-studio-desktop and got the message (in a terminal) E: could not locate package kxsudio-desktop
Maybe you need an 'apt-get update'?
fulltwentycharacters
Established Member

So apt-get update updates apt-get itself? I guess I really am a newbie...
I'll try it; open a terminal and run that (prepending "sudo" if I have to)
My existing desktop has the "Ubuntu Software" icon; but that just brings me to a graphical interface with a lot of available software with a red check mark next to the ones I have installed. But a lot of these are duplicates side by side; like I have two OpenShot editor icons, both with red check marks and they both open OpenShot but they might be different versions...
But there is no appearance of any kx-studio icon with a "launch" or "install" prompt...
Oh, and thank you very much, reboof, btw
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

fulltwentycharacters wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 am So apt-get update updates apt-get itself?
No, it fetches the indexes from the repositories you have configured. If you've added the kxstudio repository without running 'apt-get update'. I suspected it might not have fetched the index, which would explain why it can't find the package in your local index.
fulltwentycharacters wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 am a lot of these are duplicates side by side; like I have two OpenShot editor icons, both with red check marks and they both open OpenShot but they might be different versions...
Hmm, could that be one OpenShot from Ubuntu and one OpenShot from kxstudio? But that'd suggest the kxstudio repo index was imported after all... not sure.
fulltwentycharacters
Established Member

No, the duplicates appeared recently; and they all have "source dl.flathub.org" written at the bottom of them; but they sit right next to the icons that were originally there from when I first installed Ubuntu...I might have added another repository at some point; which would mean that the kx-studio repository would become the third one that I have?
Along with the Ubuntu Software app; I also have one called "Software and Updates" which has a few more menus that seem more related to my system, like "Ubuntu software" "other software" "updates" "authentication" "additional drivers" "developers options" and "livepatch"
I'm never sure which software application to use; maybe this other software and updates one would allow me to remove the unwanted repositories and stay with the kx-studio one? ?
Thanks for the help; I did do apt-get update but then got the same: could not locate package kx-studio-desktop...
and my desktop is still the same cluttered one that might usurp resources away from audio processes, as the kx-studio website mentioned
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I read this thread a couple of times and still don't quite understand. There is no package called kxstudio-desktop, (or kx-studio-desktop or kxsudio-desktop).
Assuming you have actually enabled the KX repos correctly, you can check all packages starting with "kxstudio" with

Code: Select all

apt list kxstudio*
There are no packages with "kx-studio" in their name but you can check that with apt list too. Or just for all packages containing "studio"

Code: Select all

apt list *studio*
fulltwentycharacters
Established Member

well, I think the alternative was "kx-studio-default" which would preserve whatever desktop you had (gnome in my case, I think) and then just add the repositories. Well, sunrat, then what are the exact apt-get commands to install the kxstudio in place of my Ubuntu??
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

fulltwentycharacters wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:05 pmWell, sunrat, then what are the exact apt-get commands to install the kxstudio in place of my Ubuntu??
KX Studio doesn't install in place of anything. It is repositories to add to your current setup, it won't change Gnome or whatever. Do you have the repositories set up as described on the KX site? It involves downloading a single .deb package and installing it locally using the simple instructions at https://kx.studio/Repositories. Then update sources.
There are a number of metapackages which will each install a collection of packages so choose what you want or install packages individually. Look for packages starting with "kxstudio" and choose what you want. The apt list command I posted above will show all of them or just search in your package manager.
fulltwentycharacters
Established Member

I have a file named: "kxsudio-repos-gcc5_9.5.1~kxstudio3_all.deb" in my downloads folder.

I thought kx was a flavor of linux that comes with a kernel that is designed to make optimum use of system resources, a "low latency kernel" is I think what I read...and the default desktop was something I forget, but it wasn't gnome, my regular desktop.
I have a USB stick that is bootable and has net-bootin on it, and it might just have a live CD version of AV Linux or kxstudio...maybe I could boot up and install from there.
I know that when I ran lubuntu off that stick, I had a whole new desktop.
But I do have that debian file and maybe I can go into "software and updates" and add it manually to my list of "sources?" That would be my next guess...
I've only been on this problem 2 days now, so I'm not ready to give up...
Although it crossed my mind that getting a better sound card and maybe just tweeking my own kernel after digging out my PC Hacks book; might be better than just having better software...
I have a better idea; I'll go to the link you gave me about "Repositories" and read that. But I really did think I would be getting a whole new kernel...
fulltwentycharacters
Established Member

This just in; I ran all the commands in my terminal and got all the way through with one "WARNING; ignoring request to remove" something because it wasn't installed.
But the last message said that it was setting up the kxstudio repositories with (10. something in parentheses).
But, now I just have a blank terminal and have to figure out how to load packages in, I guess..
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

fulltwentycharacters wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:31 pm I have a file named: "kxsudio-repos-gcc5_9.5.1~kxstudio3_all.deb" in my downloads folder.
You're not going to get anywhere if you don't follow advice, such as in my above post with the link showing how to add KX Repositories. The current package to add them, as advised on that page, is kxstudio-repos_10.0.3_all.deb so I don't know where you got that outdated one. It possibly installs repos that don't exist any more.
I thought kx was a flavor of linux that comes with a kernel that is designed to make optimum use of system resources, a "low latency kernel" is I think what I read...and the default desktop was something I forget, but it wasn't gnome, my regular desktop.
KX Studio was a full distro once upon a time. The last version was based on Ubuntu 14.04 with KDE4 desktop and is deprecated, unmaintainable, and probably dangerous to connect to the internet.
I have a better idea; I'll go to the link you gave me about "Repositories" and read that. But I really did think I would be getting a whole new kernel...
Good idea to follow the instructions in that link, it's the first thing you should have done. One of the first things it tells you to do is purge that package you installed already.
You can get a new kernel from Ubuntu, look for "low-latency" in its name for audio use.