Using carla-control to control a remote Carla instance

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mindhog
Established Member

Using carla-control to control a remote Carla instance

Post by mindhog »

Hi all,

I'm trying use carla-control to configure a remote headless instance of Carla. The remote instance is running on a Raspberry Pi, carla-control is running on my desktop. I appear to be able to connect to the remote instance, but:

1) When I click "Add Plugin" I get a list of plugins assembled from my local machine (where carla-control is running) instead of on the headless host running on the Raspberry pi. I'm assuming this wouldn't work very well.
2) When I add a plugin, even one that should be present on the headless host, nothing happens. carla-control appears to go into a wait state, if I try to add another plugin I'll get a message saying "A previous operation is still pending. Please wait"

I'm not at all sure I'm doing this correctly, I've been unable to locate any instructions. But it does seem like Carla aims to support this sort of workflow.

Can anyone tell me how to get this working?
robin
Established Member

Re: Using carla-control to control a remote Carla instance

Post by robin »

I stumbled upon that behavior described in 1 as well but choosing a plugin that existed on both hosts worked for me. My setup was two Arch-Linux boxes with calf-plugins installed as package, so same Linux, same plugin versions, same architecture and same path to the actual lv2s in the fs, I suppose the first three might differ in your setup. Maybe check the paths first, versions second and if all fails if it works on two machines with your desktop OS and architecture installed. I dont know what carla exactly expects, thats just wild guesses...