[SOLVED] Can't get Carla to load WinVST's

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Thomas1974
Established Member

Re: Can't get Carla to load WinVST's

Post by Thomas1974 »

Kott wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:16 pm
And I know my situation is not because my .dll's are on an external HDD, because I tried moving a few .dll folders to my home partition and it still gives me that error.
Does your wine has access to / or ~/ ?
What if you put dll into ~/.wine/drive_c/some_dir_with_vst ?
I copied the WinVST folder to ~/.wine/drive_c/VST-Test like I stated above, but this time I did add the Plugin Path in Configuration in Carla.

First I tried Multi client and I first did a Refresh with only the VST3it box ticked under Search for new... it scanned really quick and I noticed in the progression bar it was only saying VST2.. but then I ticked the VST2 and VST3 boxes and it scans for both VST2 and VST3. No VST3's shows up in the list. Then tried to change it to Single Client, the same results as below and showing Multi Client in the Process Mode as well.
======= Starting engine =======
======= Engine started ========
Carla engine started, details:
Driver name: JACK
Sample rate: 44100
Process mode: Multi client
wine: '/home/thomas/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.
it gave me several lines about wine.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I asked the package builder of openSUSE for help.

He gave up after trying hard, and he is much better at compiling stuff then me.

I am quite happy still, because with carla in lmms I can load Linux vst. Too bad we cant automate them yet, but that is being worked on. (lmms)
And for windows vst in lmms there is Vestige.

I have seen people on this forum who got it working though. :)
Thomas1974
Established Member

Post by Thomas1974 »

Gps wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:32 pm I asked the package builder of openSUSE for help.

He gave up after trying hard, and he is much better at compiling stuff then me.

I am quite happy still, because with carla in lmms I can load Linux vst. Too bad we cant automate them yet, but that is being worked on. (lmms)
And for windows vst in lmms there is Vestige.

I have seen people on this forum who got it working though. :)
Thats cool. Years ago I used LMMS for a short while, it's pretty good. It just lacks the ability to record input (e.g. Mic, guitar, etc). I dont have an Audio Interface for that. I have recorded my guitar just through the input of my computer but it can get noisey. but want to get this going a lot smoother before buying one. So I do need an Audio Interface for that. Other DAWs have a lot of features that I would not use atm. So I plan on using Carla - for the host, Hydrogen - for the drums, QmMidiArp - for sequencing and Audacity to record everything including guitars/vocals in the feature. Its only an idea for now. But I did have Carla and QMidiArp running with LV2s and LinuxVST's. I have found some pretty good Linux plugins, but there are some Win plugins that I really want to use as well, mostly synths.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Gps wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:32 pm I asked the package builder of openSUSE for help.

He gave up after trying hard,
What?!
Gps wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:32 pm I have seen people on this forum who got it working though. :)
You're just kidding, right?
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

wine: '/home/thomas/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.
looks like a some mess

do you have 64-bit wine installed?

you can safely rename (backup) ~/.wine to ~/.wine_save and start over with clean wineprefix
Thomas1974
Established Member

Post by Thomas1974 »

Kott wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 am
looks like a some mess

do you have 64-bit wine installed?

you can safely rename (backup) ~/.wine to ~/.wine_save and start over with clean wineprefix
Thank you SO much Kott!! You are awesome! :D I do that whenever I mess with config files, I dont know why I didn't think about renaming the original wine and starting over while having a backup. Like I stated in my first post, I don't know much about wine. but I renamed .wine to .wine.bak (just a habit to use .bak) and Googled "what is wineprefix" and came across this: https://linuxconfig.org/configuring-win ... troduction. So in the process like any other errors or mistakes I have learned a little more. I am up and running now! Once again, thank you! I will mark this as solved....
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Kott wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 am

He gave up after trying hard,
What?!
Gps wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:32 pm I have seen people on this forum who got it working though. :)
You're just kidding, right?
I am not kidding and have LMMS and Carla from the official openSUSE repositories.
Carla and LMMS work fine but I can't load windows vst in Carla. (in lmms with vestige I can)

Even emailed falk tx about mingw or something, but he said that was not important.

There might be a solution for opensuse though, geekos daw, but I have not tried that.
Its like kx repositories but then for openSUSE.

https://geekosdaw.tuxfamily.org/your-audio-workstation/

They talked with the kx repositories guys and also some people of Arch. aur ?

Because Falk Tx is for a while now also an LMMS dev, I decided to wait and see.

@Thomas1974 Congratz :)
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Gps wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:43 am
There might be a solution for opensuse though, geekos daw, but I have not tried that.
Its like kx repositories but then for openSUSE.

https://geekosdaw.tuxfamily.org/your-audio-workstation/

They talked with the kx repositories guys and also some people of Arch. aur ?
You haven't tried but package maintainer gave up?
Official openSUSE package hasn't wine64 support. Geekos DAW has. You can even try bleeding-edge from git develop branch with all bridges too: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... kage=carla
Gps
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get Carla to load WinVST's

Post by Gps »

Interesting, thank you :)

The windows vst I tried in Carla though, works through vestige and is 32 bit. To name one, 4 front piano.

I have in the past tried to compile both LMMS and Carla myself.
Sometimes with succes, (LMMS), some times it failed, and even the LMMS devs had no clue on why it was not working.

Falk tx has tried to help me with carla but that did not work out either.

I don't know why, my Linux knowledge when it comes to stuff like this is beyond limited.

I don't understand why compiling Doom3 for Linux was very easy, but when it comes to lmms and carla compiling feels like a nightmare.

Is it because the list of dependencies is missing stuff for openSUSE?

I might try to add geekos repository, and install Carla from there, but it feels like allot of work, for only being able to load windows vst in carla.
I am already quite happy I can use amsynth in lmms through Carla, too bad I can't automate it yet.

Maybe this gets solved with new lmms version that has lv2 support. (automating amsynth)

And last time I checked, geekos os is not for tumbleweed but for the stable release of openSUSE.
I am on tumbleweed.( rolling release) :)
Wakellor
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get Carla to load WinVST's

Post by Wakellor »

Hey guys! Just though I'd share that there is a fantastic alternative to Carla is called Airwave. It's fast and it's very easy to use!