[SOLVED] Debian Buster fresh install and kxstudio-repos_10.0.2_all.deb Problem

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Janez
Established Member

[SOLVED] Debian Buster fresh install and kxstudio-repos_10.0.2_all.deb Problem

Post by Janez »

I set up Debian 10 Buster on an old Laptop, installed some more Packages from the original Repositories with apt-clone and then used GDebi to install the latest kxstudio-repos_10.0.2_all.deb.

When trying to install kxstudio-meta-all I ran into tons of conflicts, that looked like gcc5 was missing. But that seems to be installed automaticly and no longer a package the you have to install.

I tried to uninstall kxstudio-repos_10.0.2_all.deb and install kxstudio-repos_9.5.1~kxstudio3_all.deb, but apt-get update complains about a missing release file.

How can I solve this. So far I am very hesitant to upgrade my main machine, although stretch seems not to be officially supported anymore.
Last edited by Janez on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shupacabras
Established Member

Re: Debian Buster fresh install and kxstudio-repos_10.0.2_all.deb Problem

Post by Shupacabras »

Here is the new Kxstudio forum https://chat.kx.studio/channel/say-hi
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

This is what i would do, if i am in that situation.
1. I will remove all non native debian repos
2. i will remove all non native packages
3. i will reboot
4. i will install the latest kxstudio-repos from the website and i will install it following the instructions
5. i will install the following packages: kxstudio-default-settings ; kxstudio-menu ; linux-image-rt-amd64 ; rtirq ; jack2; pulseaudio-module-jack
6. i will reboot again
7. i will install and configure cadence
8. i will reboot again
9. i will check out if jack is working properly, and also check out if pulseaudio is bridged and controlled properly from cadence
10. if the kxstudio metapackages don't work, i will either install the appropriate apps manually, or i will use the debian multimedia metapackages. Search for multimedia-
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
Janez
Established Member

Post by Janez »

thetotalchaos wrote:This is what i would do, if i am in that situation.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't gotten around to trying anything since i posted this.
This second step is something I have to find out how to do. I would be looking for the magic line to copy and paste into the terminal.
But in the meantime there is a newer version of the kxstudio-repos.deb. That will be the first try.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Janez wrote:
thetotalchaos wrote:This is what i would do, if i am in that situation.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't gotten around to trying anything since i posted this.
This second step is something I have to find out how to do. I would be looking for the magic line to copy and paste into the terminal.
But in the meantime there is a newer version of the kxstudio-repos.deb. That will be the first try.
Apps from the KXStudio repo are "non native" apps. And the KXStudio repo is a non native repo. So even though @thetotalchaos method might work to get you a working Debian system, it will not solve your prob's w/ the KXStudio repo because that method requires you to remove non native stuff. And if I'm not mistaken the only non Debian native stuff you've got at this moment is KXStudio stuff.

If you find the solution in above mentioned KXStudio forum, will you post the solution here too? Pretty please please? :wink:
FawkesThat
Established Member

Post by FawkesThat »

Shupacabras wrote:Here is the new Kxstudio forum https://chat.kx.studio/channel/say-hi
That doesn't look like a forum, it looks like a chat room and wants to be yet another thing I'd have to register for.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Falktx recently left this forum, where he was also a moderator, and deleted all his posts here.
According to Falktx, the chat room is his new ~forum.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Janez
Established Member

Post by Janez »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Apps from the KXStudio repo are "non native" apps. And the KXStudio repo is a non native repo. So even though @thetotalchaos method might work to get you a working Debian system, it will not solve your prob's w/ the KXStudio repo because that method requires you to remove non native stuff. And if I'm not mistaken the only non Debian native stuff you've got at this moment is KXStudio stuff.
No, there is more, there is deb-multimedia, cinelerragg, waterfox, palemoon and the debian backports with the latest libreoffice.
Although on that particular machine there ist no cinelerragg yet.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: If you find the solution in above mentioned KXStudio forum, will you post the solution here too? Pretty please please? :wink:
If falktx is in that chatroom, I guess thats where I have to go. Does anybody know whats behind that story? It seems a little drastic to delete all his posts.
I'll let you know the solution, but I still don't know when I will get around to it.
I am pretty shure it has something to do with gcc5. I got my hopes on the latest .deb installer.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Janez wrote:Does anybody know whats behind that story? It seems a little drastic to delete all his posts.
I'll let you know the solution, but I still don't know when I will get around to it.
Deleted Thread? viewtopic.php?p=110923#p110923
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

Janez wrote: No, there is more, there is deb-multimedia, cinelerragg, waterfox, palemoon and the debian backports with the latest libreoffice.
Although on that particular machine there ist no cinelerragg yet.
I found your issue here. There are too much external repositories. Deb-multimedia itself, basically rewrites half of the libraries on which KXStudio depends on. Follow that KISS principle. KISS aka Keep It Simple Stupid

Best regards, Totalchaos
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
Janez
Established Member

Post by Janez »

I went for a different approach and now it works.
I started over on a different laptop, so I had to install a fresh debian anyway, and installed kxstudio as the next step on a fresh system. After that I installed the other repositories including deb-multimedia and everything works fine :-)
I assume deb-multimedia is not a problem as I remember falkTX writing somewhere that he considers it unnecessary to host a package that is already hosted by deb-multimedia. It would be redundant.
What might have created the mess may have been the use of apt-clone before I tried to install kxsstudio. I don't know.
thanks guys
I consider it [SOLVED]