Gah....

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

millerthegorilla
Established Member

Gah....

Post by millerthegorilla »

I've just tried to install ubuntu studio and add the kxstudio repositories.

What the idiots have done is beyond belief. They have removed jackdbus and parcelled it exclusively with ubuntu-studio-controls, and so you can no longer install the repos over the top of ubuntu studio. Its enraging. Its the absolute opposite of the thesis of opensource software, and I wouldn't be surprised if falktx didn't take time out in frustration.
And it is frustrating. Ubuntu studio effectively becomes a closed source operation, since you are tied to use their software, or not at all, as if you try and install cadence, it won't run due to there being no jackdbus available in the ubuntu studio repos. Why would the ubuntu project allow the removal of jackdbus from their repos? I don't get it.
GAH!
I'm now going to try and use a kde neon base, or similar and try and install the kxstudio repositories. Damn.
zoco
Established Member

Re: Gah....

Post by zoco »

Dalai Lama says it. Nothing remains. Everything changes. :D

Install regular ubuntu with low-latency kernal to install everything you want?
Or jump into AV Linux? http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I use Xubuntu 18.04 LTS with the provided low-latency kernel. Works fine.

i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
M-Audio 1010LT
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

So you cannot install jackdbus from other repo, why? I don't use Ubuntu Stusio, that's why I'm asking)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

If needed, most likely you can get rid of all ubuntustudio packages & repos, and replace stuff with normal ubuntu packages.

And sure, there is always option to build everything you need.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

millerthegorilla wrote:What the idiots have done is beyond belief. (...) I wouldn't be surprised if falktx didn't take time out in frustration.
A common reason for open source maintainers to burn out is when users act entitled and even call them names in public - like you just did. Please don't, nobody deserves that.

By all means vent your frustration about the "state of things", but don't make it personal.
millerthegorilla wrote:Why would the ubuntu project allow the removal of jackdbus from their repos? I don't get it.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?sear ... n&arch=any suggests it is in the 'jackd2' package, do you have that installed?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

My comment was a joke btw. I have no issue with ubuntu studio or the devs.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

lilith wrote:My comment was a joke btw. I have no issue with ubuntu studio or the devs.
Yeah, I figured as much but it wasn't completely clear and it didn't seem like a particularly good joke so I assumed you wouldn't mind if I removed the post ;).
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

It was the best joke ever :lol:
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

millerthegorilla wrote:I've just tried to install ubuntu studio and add the kxstudio repositories.

What the idiots have done is beyond belief. They have removed jackdbus and parcelled it exclusively with ubuntu-studio-controls, and so you can no longer install the repos over the top of ubuntu studio. Its enraging. Its the absolute opposite of the thesis of opensource software, and I wouldn't be surprised if falktx didn't take time out in frustration.
And it is frustrating. Ubuntu studio effectively becomes a closed source operation, since you are tied to use their software, or not at all, as if you try and install cadence, it won't run due to there being no jackdbus available in the ubuntu studio repos. Why would the ubuntu project allow the removal of jackdbus from their repos? I don't get it.
GAH!
I'm now going to try and use a kde neon base, or similar and try and install the kxstudio repositories. Damn.
This:
raboof wrote: A common reason for open source maintainers to burn out is when users act entitled and even call them names in public - like you just did. Please don't, nobody deserves that.

By all means vent your frustration about the "state of things", but don't make it personal.
Besides, do your research before venting. There might be a solution around the corner:
raboof wrote:https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?sear ... n&arch=any suggests it is in the 'jackd2' package, do you have that installed?
And if you find it, share it. Typical of Linux users is to collaborate and be constructive. Or at least, it should be.

In addition to that: I am not too familiar with Debian/Ubuntu world, but I maintain packages for Arch Linux and package incompatibility is a thing: multiple packages that provide the same software are typically in conflict and cannot be installed alongside, unless <list of unlesses that I am not up to type right now>. Before going full tin foil hat and declaim various conspiracy theory about how Ubuntu Studio wants to vendor lock-in its users, just figure out if the Ubuntu Studio software sources are in actual conflict with KXStudio: repo incompatibility is a fairly common occurrence.

Either way, it would strike me as odd to add KXStudio repos on Ubuntu Studio, given that you would mix up two software sources for the same stuff, much of which is already installed by default (hence, conflicts are harder to manage). I would just add KXStudio on regular Ubuntu.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I use Ubuntu studio controls on neon and jackdbus is running, must be possible to install at least.

When I installed UBS it removed cadence which is annoying but UBS is wanted to use so I accepted it.

I don't really understand what your issue is. Did you encounter issues adding the repo, or trying to install something, or did you get dependency problems?

I think a closed system for music isn't such a bad or unusual idea although I doubt that Ubuntu studio has to be closed in that way.
millerthegorilla
Established Member

Post by millerthegorilla »

I meant that it was not following the open source ethic to incorporate some package or other into a piece of software such that the piece of software becomes exclusive.

I often used Ubuntu Studio, with the kxstudio repos enabled to allow me to use cadence, which worked well, and looked nice etc, as well as promising the opportunity to engage in low latency network audio, which I meant to get involved in at some point.

I recently installed ubuntu studio for the first time in a few years, excepting that time when I discovered recently that cadence was prohibited from being installed due to 'ubuntu-studio-controls'.

It installed well, even detecting the Nvidia optimus/intel set up on my friend's laptop, which is more than xubuntu did. It installed easily, and relatively seamlessly, and I have used it and it works well. I was disappointed by the sudden discovery that I wouldn't be able to use my favourite combination, I guess, which is ubuntu studio with the kxstudio repositories, and their software.

I hope ubuntu studio controls is developed, since when pressing 'apply audio settings' there is no feedback as to what has happened, no indication of dsp load, latency, xruns etc, all of which I can get elsewhere, but I liked cadence for that and its ease of opening tools like Katia and the meters as well.
Again, I can get those elsewhere, but losing software, like cadence, is a shame.
I will still enable the kxstudio repository in order to install the plugins, since there is a massive list of them available on kxstudio, that don't seem to be available on Ubustudio.

As for name calling, all I did was point out that it is in breach of what is the accepted opensource software 'contract' to publish some software that exclusively incorporates some package at the expense of some other project. It limits freedom, not something to be encouraged. However, ubuntu studio seems to work well, including being able to provide audio for high end recording as well as being able to maintain an audio presence for desktop software, like Firefox etc.
What has been done, in making ubuntu studio controls the exclusive option, and preventing cadence from being installed goes against the grain of your statement... 'Typical of Linux users is to collaborate and be constructive'... it is neither collaborative nor is it constructive.

However, I am not a fan of AVL studio, and with KXstudio down, there is only ubuntu studio left as a real contender, at least that I know about, anyway.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

millerthegorilla wrote:As for name calling, all I did was point out that it is in breach of what is the accepted opensource software 'contract' to publish some software that exclusively incorporates some package at the expense of some other project. It limits freedom, not something to be encouraged.
I'm not sure I agree. Software conflicts all the time. Of course it is better when it doesn't, but that might require work, and you can't blame people for not putting in that work.

Now if someone is actively sabotaging other software, of course that is not cool. But I don't see anything indication that that is the case here.
millerthegorilla wrote:What has been done, in making ubuntu studio controls the exclusive option, and preventing cadence from being installed goes against the grain of your statement... 'Typical of Linux users is to collaborate and be constructive'... it is neither collaborative nor is it constructive.
I'm sure they'd welcome a contribution making this possible - it might be technically challenging though.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

raboof wrote:
millerthegorilla wrote:As for name calling, all I did was point out that it is in breach of what is the accepted opensource software 'contract' to publish some software that exclusively incorporates some package at the expense of some other project. It limits freedom, not something to be encouraged.
I'm not sure I agree. Software conflicts all the time. Of course it is better when it doesn't, but that might require work, and you can't blame people for not putting in that work.

Now if someone is actively sabotaging other software, of course that is not cool. But I don't see anything indication that that is the case here.
millerthegorilla wrote:What has been done, in making ubuntu studio controls the exclusive option, and preventing cadence from being installed goes against the grain of your statement... 'Typical of Linux users is to collaborate and be constructive'... it is neither collaborative nor is it constructive.
I'm sure they'd welcome a contribution making this possible - it might be technically challenging though.
I would like to slightly correct Raboof statements: it will require work, 100% probability, and it will be technically challenging, 100% probability.

This is why, for example, Debian officially recommends against using third party software repositories, especially PPAs, (explicit mention here). Is it because Debian wants to vendor lock-in its users? Is it because Debian does not want to collaborate? It is because they can ensure proper support only for packages directly under their control, and cannot test all the third parties repos that exist under the sun. And Ubuntu is no different.

Normally it is responsibility of the repo maintainer to ensure compatibility with the target distro, and FalkTX has always done an excellent job at this. But you should acknowledge that the KX Studio project is currently on pause, so rough edges should be expected for the most up to date releases of the target distro.
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

millerthegorilla wrote:I meant that it was not following the open source ethic to incorporate some package or other into a piece of software such that the piece of software becomes exclusive.

As for name calling, all I did was point out that it is in breach of what is the accepted opensource software 'contract' to publish some software that exclusively incorporates some package at the expense of some other project. It limits freedom, not something to be encouraged. However, ubuntu studio seems to work well, including being able to provide audio for high end recording as well as being able to maintain an audio presence for desktop software, like Firefox etc.
What has been done, in making ubuntu studio controls the exclusive option, and preventing cadence from being installed goes against the grain of your statement... 'Typical of Linux users is to collaborate and be constructive'... it is neither collaborative nor is it constructive.
accusations like that can cut both ways
Ubuntu Studio used to use QjackCtl and adding Cadence would break QjackCtl workflow
Maybe the Studio developers are not happy about Cadence making itself exclusive for controlling JACK and breaking working packages now they have made their own packages.
and UbuntuStudioControls package is not completely exclusive
QjackCtl is still included but without any OOTB Studio configuration and works with USC without conflict

Ubuntu Studio Controls is an interesting new approach to using JACK.
but I also don't like it due to the lack of any feedback of status information am used to seeing with QjackCtl
the hot-plug USB function sounds interesting, but I don't think I would ever have a use-case for it

I do have another issue with Ubuntu Studio that means i will not likely recommended it to others .
One of the Studio developers has become very active in closing down any technical/support discussions online, except for in official Ubuntu forum or AskUbuntu.
Just my opinion but I found both of those sites are bloated and very difficult to find support information and assistance
However, I am not a fan of AVL studio, and with KXstudio down, there is only ubuntu studio left as a real contender, at least that I know about, anyway.
That is a pity considering KX packages are well supported on there
AVL may use QjackCtl by default, but the KX repositories are included to switch to Cadence easily