Moving some KXStudio packages to official Debian repos

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Moving some KXStudio packages to official Debian repos

Post by Basslint »

Hello,

a question, I hope it's not a stupid question but why aren't at least the free packages like Carla distributed directly from the Debian repos? I think more people would have access to them.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Moving some KXStudio packages to official Debian repos

Post by sysrqer »

Might be easier for falktx to have control over getting fixes out and having a certain version to support.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

sysrqer wrote:Might be easier for falktx to have control over getting fixes out and having a certain version to support.
This is good, however some programs like Carla would really be useful to have on Debian (and derivatives such as Ubuntu) core repos.

I know using KXStudio repos is pretty easy (as easy as running a .deb file) but some people might not be skilled enough to do even that or might not trust KXStudio (understandable, given that Debian has more eyes on it, objectively speaking; I know that KXStudio is OK!)
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

The Debian release process is fairly arduous (for good reasons). We tried to get Dragonfly Reverb into the upcoming Debian, but we missed a deadline, so I think the next chance is in 2021. KXStudio's packages are updated so rapidly that it's probably better to keep them separate rather than try to work with Debian's glacially slow releases.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Michael Willis wrote:The Debian release process is fairly arduous (for good reasons). We tried to get Dragonfly Reverb into the upcoming Debian, but we missed a deadline, so I think the next chance is in 2021. KXStudio's packages are updated so rapidly that it's probably better to keep them separate rather than try to work with Debian's glacially slow releases.
I don't know why FalkTX opted to have a separate repo, but I believe it is some reason along these lines.

Getting packages into Debian repos is not very easy: there is a very specific process, requirements, guidelines and deadlines to be met.

On top of that, there is not just one repo. Audio software typically gets updated very often, while Debian Stable repo needs extensive review to push new versions. It might be more of a complication to have backports or packages into the non stable repos for both maintainers and users with respect having a separate repo.

I believe that, most likely, having the separate repo is the easiest and best choice for both maintainers and users.