A good jack-compatible audio player who stays connected to the outputs I want?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

merlyn
Established Member

Re: A good jack-compatible audio player who stays connected to the outputs I want?

Post by merlyn »

I prefer DeaDBeeF to mpv for audio, so if it were me, I would welcome this answer to my question.
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: A good jack-compatible audio player who stays connected to the outputs I want?

Post by jonetsu »

When I want to play a tune (audio or video), I want nothing else but a mediaplayer. Not an organizer, not a that or this, not an oscilloscope, a frequency analyzer, an album cover downloader, a CDDB client, a whatever. I just want to play a piece and that's it. mpv does just fine. vlc would, but it stuttered at the beginning of a file for about 500ms or a bit more. Not nice. mpv does just fine.

In any case this other media player is certainly not jackd only. So by the same token the false notion that jackd apps are absolutely needed gets covered.

And I'm saying this with a good part of my approx. 350 CDs transferred to disk. It's not like I only have just a couple of media files to play.

The music, nothing else.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I don't remember the OP asking what you use, do, or want.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

merlyn wrote:I don't remember the OP asking what you use, do, or want.
Indeed, but you just did:
merlyn wrote:I prefer DeaDBeeF to mpv for audio, so if it were me, I would welcome this answer to my question.
Anything else to point at ?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

If you feel compelled to have the last word -- stop.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I feel like they are all lacking and it's something I've never been happy with since leaving Musicbee on Windows but my favourite is probably mpd+cantata (ncmpcpp is also really good). I also use deadbeef for quick file playback and conversion. There's just always something missing for me, whether it is not being able to sort by albumartist or no option to view the library by album art, or no library functionality at all.

One tool I found which closed the gap was puddletag, such an amazing piece of software and perfect for sorting out tags and folder structure.

I have to say I agree with a previous post that this topic is somewhat mute when really any of them will work with jack either directly or otherwise. Qjackctl has a patchbay function which allows you to store profiles of connections and the ability to load it when you start jack.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Would it be possible to have the audio from a browser coming out outputs 1 & 2, and the audio from an audio player coming out outputs 3 & 4 with Pulse? I've only used it briefly, decided it was a pain and got rid of it, but my recollection is that it wouldn't be possible to do that with Pulse and jack-sink, source, whatever.

If that's the case there are situations where JACK is preferable.

Anyway, what are you doing? Making music or watching YouTube? :)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

merlyn wrote:If you feel compelled to have the last word -- stop.
Far from wanting to get the last word. Very far. Just setting things straight.
The OP mentioned at the beginning:
ciacnorris wrote: Is there any player that behave properly, or another solution (which is not preparing a single audio file :D )?
Now you may remember.

And yes, mpv plays multiple files.

And you added:
merlyn wrote:I prefer DeaDBeeF to mpv for audio, so if it were me, I would welcome this answer to my question.
And then I get the following because I mentioned the reasons for choosing mpv:
merlyn wrote:If you feel compelled to have the last word -- stop.
Anything else to point at ?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

@Jonetsu you've derailed this topic.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Ah, you found something.
merlyn wrote:@Jonetsu you've derailed this topic.
... By suggesting that a jackd media player is not the only choice, that actually any media player can do, giving a wide array of choice, if one is running jackd with the pulseaudio jacksink. ... Which is available from many distros' repositories, a one-click install.

That's the crux of it.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

OK, don't have the last word.
GuitarRoy

Post by GuitarRoy »

In Audacious, if you turn on crossfading it will stay connected to the desired ports :D
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Might be more than what you are looking for but mixxx lets you select the specific outputs and doesn't change them.
Metrophage
Established Member

Post by Metrophage »

I fixed this in VLC with the Advanced Preferences > Audio > JACK > "Connect to clients matching" and typed the name of the pair I wanted to use from Catia. I omitted the L/R and just copied the rest of it: "0001f200000188c0_pbk_Phones" so it maps the output to those two channels.
Xzu Rukneg
Established Member

Post by Xzu Rukneg »

Aqualung was the one I used. https://aqualung.jeremyevans.net/