why is KXstudio is broken

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

offgrid

why is KXstudio is broken

Post by offgrid »

Angry guy rant,
i downloaded kxstudio_14.04.5_64bit.iso. checked out as good md5sum
Built usb installer worked out, install was a bit weird. had and open slot on my drive 117 gig ext4 wide open, it got confused.
reboot format gparted 117 to fat32. and restarted install.
second attempt it decides it going to split drive in two???????????. wont take a simple leap.
so i goes with it. 60/50 something split and go.
installs fine boots fine.
run dist-upgrade locks up on Ardour 5.12. so rerun with package installer after fix errors and clear Ardour upgrade. runs fine.
start Lmms VeSTige not loading VST. WTF
MusE Crashes 99% on start WTF
installed Wine WTF
got VST loading in lmms ,, search google broke since 2012 WTF
99 percent of all my problem with KXstudio have been around since 2008. WTF WTF.
I read a webpage KXstudio is the best bowl of chocolate pudding. just install and it works. Bowl of shit wore likley.
this is my second full reinstall removed Muse and installed MusE3 got it booting ok no errors in Jac logs a few in terminal with a few vst errors but starts and runns i thing havnt started ny projects.
BUT this LMMS not getting things going with wine the second time around is pissing me off.
uninstalled wine ,,package installer installs some other carla notsure packages
Carla assertion failure: "kEngine->isRunning()" in file CarlaEngineThread.cpp, line 45
when loading Muse3 figures WTF but still starts.

whats the worst it is a broken distribution.
i want everything advertised, i get broke this and broke that and help files and web page that elude to nothing in particular about fixing things that shouldn’t be missing or not working in a distribution.
a distribution should not have any missing parts or at least a list of those missing dependencies listed somewhere. Maybe RIGHT ON the front page .
maybe a do this first before starting any apps or you will break the distro.
or a fix distro patch.
How do we get Linux out there when most packages break as soon as you install it.
Iv installed Ubuntu worked fine but not happy with it, Linux mint got 18.1 on the other partition a copy of 18.3 there as well for new installs on windows fuckups. im trying here to install a system to run a music studio for my 13 year old daughter. she likes lmms muse ardour and audacity
was supposed to take a few hours been a week now and its still fucked up.

is there a place for a new install of KXstudio step by step instructional web page on getting all packages and dependencies met so it works as advertised. or should i just wait till 2020.
khz
Established Member

Re: why is KXstudio is broken

Post by khz »

:welcome: I think you've come to the right place.
Computers and code can be complex.
There are nice people here who answer nice questions.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

khz wrote::welcome: I think you've come to the right place.
Computers and code can be complex.
There are nice people here who answer nice questions.
LOL
Best answer ever.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

THX :-)
:freedom:
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

offgrid wrote:had and open slot on my drive 117 gig ext4 wide open, it got confused.
What do you mean 'confused'?
offgrid wrote: reboot format gparted 117 to fat32. and restarted install.
Why would you do that?
offgrid wrote: second attempt it decides it going to split drive in two???????????. wont take a simple leap.
so i goes with it. 60/50 something split and go.
You could have just chosen the manual option if it didn't suggest what you wanted.
offgrid wrote: got VST loading in lmms ,, search google broke since 2012 WTF
Were VSTs loading in lmms or was it broken? You're saying both here.
offgrid wrote: 99 percent of all my problem with KXstudio have been around since 2008. WTF WTF.
This comment is difficult to take seriously.
offgrid wrote: I read a webpage KXstudio is the best bowl of chocolate pudding. just install and it works. Bowl of shit wore likley.
Did you want help or are you just here to vent?
offgrid wrote: BUT this LMMS not getting things going with wine the second time around is pissing me off.
uninstalled wine ,,package installer installs some other carla notsure packages
Carla assertion failure: "kEngine->isRunning()" in file CarlaEngineThread.cpp, line 45
when loading Muse3 figures WTF but still starts.
Why would you uninstall wine? If you're trying to use windows vsts then wine is quite important, whether it's through lmms or carla.
offgrid wrote: whats the worst it is a broken distribution.
i want everything advertised, i get broke this and broke that and help files and web page that elude to nothing in particular about fixing things that shouldn’t be missing or not working in a distribution.
Did you have these problems in the live session?
offgrid wrote: a distribution should not have any missing parts or at least a list of those missing dependencies listed somewhere. Maybe RIGHT ON the front page .
maybe a do this first before starting any apps or you will break the distro.
or a fix distro patch.
Which missing dependencies?
offgrid wrote: How do we get Linux out there when most packages break as soon as you install it.
This isn't a common experience.
offgrid wrote: Iv installed Ubuntu worked fine but not happy with it, Linux mint got 18.1 on the other partition a copy of 18.3 there as well for new installs on windows fuckups. im trying here to install a system to run a music studio for my 13 year old daughter. she likes lmms muse ardour and audacity
was supposed to take a few hours been a week now and its still fucked up.
If you want to try again I would recommend installing Neon (user edition) and adding kxstudio repos (follow the steps on the kxstudio website). Takes less than an hour. New iso will be based on this set up.
offgrid wrote: is there a place for a new install of KXstudio step by step instructional web page on getting all packages and dependencies met so it works as advertised. or should i just wait till 2020.
See last comment.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I never tried KXstudio as a distro so I don't know how good it is. I use pure Debian with the KXstudio repositories added to Synaptic. That means I still run pure Debian but I can download all of the software so generously provided by KXstudio. I have close to zero problem with that setup. Using Ubuntu instead of Debian will likely have the same results.

I think that KXstudio should be just a repository, not a distro. I think that is the best approach, not only because I prefer using a long and widely established distro, but also because time spent on building Yet Another Distro™ could be rather spent on development of audio software only. Distros are a done job, a wheel that doesn't really need to be reinvented.

falkTX is the one and only person responsible for KXstudio. He is very active in this forum and will probably chime in here to share his view of your problems. Maybe he will also comment on my point of view regarding the distro approach.

Either way, you sound like a newbie so hang on, don't give up. People will help and you shall be up and running shortly. It will be a little bit easier if you're not so sour. :)