KXStudio 18.04 Testing

Official support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: falkTX, khz, MattKingUSA

falkTX
Established Member

Re: KXStudio 18.04 Testing

Postby falkTX » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Well, I do have a new beta, network is fixed and most of the issues, but already a bit old and a few details need to be sorted out
http://download.linuxaudio.org/kxstudio ... 8.04b1.iso

it is just not in a state where I feel comfortable sharing it too much...

note: this iso does not include wine or pulseaudio, intentionally.

eris23

Postby eris23 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:51 am

Installed the 18.04b1 to my Dell 5285 tablet. Everything "seems" to work. A huge number of updates came in today and yesterday, fixing a problem I had when I tried Monday of plasma-desktop getting uninstalled.

Unkle_Bonehead

Postby Unkle_Bonehead » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Are we getting closer since Kde Neon announced that they are official?
https://dot.kde.org/2018/09/26/kde-neon ... nic-beaver

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Yes, no more reason to wait for it, but I need to figure out a way to make the patching and updating of neon packages more easy for me.
Some magic scripts or something.

I suspect a new ISO, RC1/stable thing, to be ready within a few weeks.

stanlea
Established Member

Postby stanlea » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:58 pm

I had a hard time with Neon, maybe I'm getting too old for changing my habits, but I can't really deal with its behaviour and look and feel. I'll stuck with Mate 18.04 and the repos.

canezila
Established Member

Postby canezila » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Would it be possible to install the neon version NOW and apply the magic falkTX scripts and audio goodness when released LATER?

Fedora
Established Member

Postby Fedora » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:23 pm

falkTX wrote:I suspect a new ISO, RC1/stable thing, to be ready within a few weeks.

I've got an empty drive that's waiting for the next release of KXStudio. This will be go into a box that currently has KXStudio 14.04 running. Let me know if you want me to do test installs. :)

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:26 am

canezila wrote:Would it be possible to install the neon version NOW and apply the magic falkTX scripts and audio goodness when released LATER?

No, because I am basing the ISO on the neon-stable repositories, for which they do not publish images.
So even though you can install neon as-is right now, the experience won't be the same.
By this I mean that any patching I do to KDE won't be reachable to you, since you always will have more updated packages compared to neon-stable.
Right now the patching involves mostly just removing pulseaudio (all sound goes through jack, no matter which audio framework is used), removing the file indexer (completely! you can't even enable it anymore) and setting up artwork.
Likely more changes will be made.

stanlea
Established Member

Postby stanlea » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 am

Why removing the file indexer ?

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:38 am

stanlea wrote:Why removing the file indexer ?

it is a background service that consumes resources and can get in the way of producing music.
randomly having disk activity, when you do not expect, it is just not nice.
(same thing can be said about automatic update checker.)

wolftune
Established Member

Postby wolftune » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:37 am

What if I want the file indexer and to be able to just manually turn it off if necessary for me? I appreciate and use the file indexer.

I've also found that pulse, while awkward in some ways, works well through the JACK bridge and having it makes sure that all programs function (some don't have non-pulse builds).
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:53 am

wolftune wrote:What if I want the file indexer and to be able to just manually turn it off if necessary for me? I appreciate and use the file indexer.

You won't be able to do that in the ISO.

wolftune wrote:I've also found that pulse, while awkward in some ways, works well through the JACK bridge and having it makes sure that all programs function (some don't have non-pulse builds).

Yes, I agree. But none of the applications that come with the ISO need pulse, and things are patched there to not need it.
Even firefox has jack support :)
The only problem I know of will be skype.
But anyway, installing pulseaudio (which automatically will pull pulseaudio-module-jack too) is quite easy.

Might be more useful for you to go with regular neon and put kxstudio stuff on top, as usual.
The ISO is a very special case.

wolftune
Established Member

Postby wolftune » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:06 am

Gotcha, but it will be possible at some point to use regular Neon, add the repos, and still get any important patched stuff then? Such as kmix or whatever else? I suppose there will be some list of what's patched in KDE? That might help someone like me decide whether to go with the ISO or with Neon+repos
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:00 am

wolftune wrote:Gotcha, but it will be possible at some point to use regular Neon, add the repos, and still get any important patched stuff then? Such as kmix or whatever else? I suppose there will be some list of what's patched in KDE? That might help someone like me decide whether to go with the ISO or with Neon+repos

I answered this just above.
I will quote because why not :)

No [cant have the same stuff as the ISO but using default neon], because I am basing the ISO on the neon-stable repositories, for which they do not publish images.
So even though you can install neon as-is right now, the experience won't be the same.
By this I mean that any patching I do to KDE won't be reachable to you, since you always will have more updated packages compared to neon-stable.
Right now the patching involves mostly just removing pulseaudio (all sound goes through jack, no matter which audio framework is used), removing the file indexer (completely! you can't even enable it anymore) and setting up artwork.
Likely more changes will be made.

I dont plan to support the non-"stable" part, as that would be too much work for me.
You can see the work-in-progress packages here https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... kde5-neon/
see that is not a small number of packages ;)

One can still add that PPA to get firefox with kde+jack patches, and a few non-pulseaudio things.
But neon non-"stable" packages will override most things on that PPA.

canezila
Established Member

Postby canezila » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be something like that just didn't know the depth. I know it's a lot, and it's always really great to use.

I will patiently wait now and donate to the cause asap.

Return to “KXStudio Discussion”