KXStudio 18.04 Testing

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Metrophage
Established Member

Re: KXStudio 18.04 Testing

Post by Metrophage »

I have installed the b1.iso with hopes of trying it out, maybe learning about the tweaks falktx has been making compared to just using the repos on the site with stock Neon. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten very far. To start finding my way around, I used apt-get to install krusader, but that has broken things. Now when I try running programs, they just die. In the konsole it says:

"Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x50b01) with this library (version 0x50b02)"

I feel like a dumbass that I broke it after about two minutes. What are the best practices for updates or installs on a beta system like this?
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

I know that Ubuntu has switched from gnome to unity to whatever they use now...

Question: Might it be best to ditch neon until it matures and go with something lite and reliable like MATE? Or does Carla and that good stuff have KDE libs and QT stuff baked in requiring KDE or Neon?
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

canezila wrote:I know that Ubuntu has switched from gnome to unity to whatever they use now...

Question: Might it be best to ditch neon until it matures and go with something lite and reliable like MATE? Or does Carla and that good stuff have KDE libs and QT stuff baked in requiring KDE or Neon?
I'm just a user, but I can tell you: Neon was already mature for 16.04, it's not immature, just there's some time-frame around updating to 18.04, which itself seems to be fine enough on its own — questions being only how to adapt to KXStudio. "something lite and reliable" describes today's KDE5 — it's solid, reliable, pretty efficient…

Anyway, for reference, Ubuntu went from Unity *to* Gnome now.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
millerthegorilla
Established Member

Post by millerthegorilla »

I doubt that falktx won't be reporting on this site as much, I think it more likely that the team are busy working on the release, which seems like it is taking a long time simply because we are anticipating it so much. I, for one, can't wait.
If the link is down, I would guess that it is because the next beta version or the release candidate is being formalised and readied for release.
Until then, it might be sensible if you can't wait, to install a distro and use the repositories to install software. Either a ready made distro with audio already set up like Ubuntu Studio or Fedora Jam (not so complete) or AV linux, or just add the low latency kernel to a ubuntu/debian distro via apt or compile one on a redhat. Then /etc/security/limits etc etc and cut down on processes you don't need running when working on audio. Usually, I install all the plugins and whatever software I work with, just ardour, guitarix and calf plugin rack etc.