permissions issues after using kx repos

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

babag
Established Member

permissions issues after using kx repos

Post by babag »

just did some tests and found that after installing the kx repos and cadence and catia i have problems.

i first found this in an install that started as ubuntustudio, added kx to it, then fully upgraded to kxstudio and kde. that seemed like a complex route to go so i tried a test on a spare drive. on the spare, i installed a fresh ubuntu studio. hydrogen runs normally, as the logged in user. i next added the kx repos and installed cadence and catia. as soon as i'd completed that, hydrogen would try to open but fail. the only way to run it now is with sudo.

i'm using hydrogen as a test case as it's easy to set up and run. on the original disk, though, i had the same issue with qsampler. it only runs as sudo, too. the fresh install does not have qsampler so i couldn't try it in the new, simpler context. in the complex original installation i found that i could run several synths as normal user, probably most apps. qsampler and hydrogen are the only ones i've found that exhibit this behavior but i'd guess others are lurking.

just wanted to post this info in case it's useful in any way. i've had lots of qjackctl/dbus problems as well but that's another topic.

thanks,
BabaG
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: permissions issues after using kx repos

Post by sysrqer »

I can understand this problem is frustrating but you should really stop running these programs as sudo, it can only make your problems worse.
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks, sysrqer.

i actually stopped using them as sudo per your and others' previous suggestions. just testing now, trying to figure out how the situation came about. it seems to have started, as i said in the op, right after installing cadence and catia. prior to that the programs did not require sudo to run. my question now would be: is there a way to keep the kx programs and revert the permissions/ownership on programs i find to have undergone such changes? if not, i guess i just steer clear of kx (not my preferred choice) or go back to w10pro (even worse choice).

thanks again,
BabaG
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I've never come across such problems with kxstudio. Have you installed the kxstudio settings package?
What happens when you start jack from a terminal?
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

there are some odd goings on at the moment. jack has been problematic. planning on doing a fresh install tonight to document for myself how i get my firewire interface running smoothly with jack. then i'll be able to cross that off of the list of annoyances. if that all goes ok i'll check hydrogen again and try the kx thing again to see if that repeats it's oddness. between now and then i'll look up the kx studio settings package to familiarize myself with it a little. will also try starting jack from a terminal.

thanks,
babag
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

so...

i thought the install of kx-default-settings (if i have the name right) might be my issue but not so. turns out it was already installed.

things have been setting up fairly well but seem to, for now, have limits. i've gotten ubuntu studio to install and the kx repositories added. got the firewire interface (saffire pro40) up and running as is jack. those were big ones. added catia and cadence without issues. after all of this hydrogen is still able to run as a normal user. sudo is not required. so far so good.

current issue seems to be kde. my system seems to be extremely finicky about who it lets install. i tried avlinux, kxstudio, and ubuntu studio and ubuntu studio is the only one that actually would go through the entire install without freezing or doing odd things like putting up a background graphic but no menus or windows.

the other thing about this system is the display environment. i have a 4k monitor on the wall for video and three 19 inch displays across my desk for my work windows. that's where the next issue comes in. the kde environment on my previous drive is the only de that puts up a desktop properly. xfce and any others i've tried all have issues like only allowing icons on the wall mounted big screen, something that's not useful since that screen is usually dedicated to full screen video, hiding any icons. non kde desktops also tend to put things off screen all the time requiring special scripts or key commands to move them to another location. kde doesn't do that either. all of this makes kde the best choice for me on this system.

there are only three things left to do to try to isolate the sudo issue with kx (which may not really be with kx). install kde, install davinci resolve, and install reaper. i doubt reaper will have an impact on any of this, which leaves kde and resolve. my next move will be to try to install kde and then kx. if that goes ok and hydrogen continues to run without sudo i'll move on to resolve and reaper.

elsewhere i've read that it might be better to just start with kubuntu. i did download it and burn a dvd but have not yet tried a full install. the preliminary test i did didn't work so well. it brought up a pretty graphic with no windows, menus, or visible options. i let it sit for a couple of minutes before i had to go. will try again tonight.

what does anyone here think with regards to getting kde installed? is there a suitable way to install kde over ubuntu studio or would it be better to just install kubuntu and add kx over that?

thanks for any input,
BabaG
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

KDE Neon all the way. As far as I understand, that is the base of the next kxstudio release.
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

no luck. seems anything i do with newer kde hangs. guessing it's a display/wm/graphics thing of some kind. tried the neon live dvd. same thing. tried a zillion different ways of installing/reinstalling. always same thing. xfce works fine except for a couple of gnarly things that make it only marginally useful here.

one thing i did find is that following the recommended kx install on linuxmusicians caused the permissions issue to trigger:

http://libremusicproduction.com/answer/ ... -reinstall

following the instructions in the link above caused a working version of hydrogen that can be run as a normal user to morph into something that can only be run with sudo. the test i did was the full install to kde, not the one that preserves the original desktop environment. interestingly, after going through the full install, when i rebooted and got to the login screen there was no option to run kde or plasma, just ubuntu studio or xfce.

anyway, thanks for the replies. i'm giving up now.

babag