Carla Plugins - Top boarder vanishes (WAVEFORM 9)

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Carla Plugins - Top boarder vanishes (WAVEFORM 9)

Post by lilith »

This happens when loading a carla plugin (e.g. Patchbay or Rack) into WAVEFORM9:
Within 1-2 seconds the top boarder of the window vanishes and the window cannot be closed any more as the control buttons are missing.
With Ardour everything is fine.

Debian 9, Carla 2:1.9.8+git20180419v5

The windows can only be moved when grabbing the top right part (it looks a bit like the active window with the control buttons is covered by the window), but cannot be closed (X missing)

lilith
Established Member

Re: Carla Plugins - Top boarder vanishes (WAVEFORM 9)

Post by lilith »

I don't pay yet, but I'll inform them anyway :mrgreen:
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

I commented on this issue, in response to lilith93, in the Tracktion-on-Linux KVR forum -- I have the same problem on Ubuntu Studio 16.04. As I noted on KVR, in Waveform 9 plugin windows are pushpinned to stay open by default. (This was an "improvement" to plugin GUI handling I wish they hadn't added between Waveform 8 and 9.) In the few seconds "hang" while the top bar is still visible, if I click that pin from red to white, I can at least hide Carla by clicking on a clip. It stays open but in the background. Oddly, when you render a clip from MIDI to audio, Carla closes completely -- I don't think it's crashing, just closing that window. I'll also submit a ticket to Tracktion. (Am happy to see the Carla rack working, otherwise, in Waveform -- I had tried it a few months back and couldn't get it to work.)
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

lilith, did you ever get this bug fixed?
Tracktion support isn't seeing this bug, in response to my query. They used Ubuntu 16.04 and Carla downloaded from http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla
and they say everything works as it should.
The only difference with my setup is I have Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and get Carla from the latest KXStudio repositories.
I have Carla version 1.9.8 Carla 2.0 beta-6, which is what they downloaded.
I don't know why having Ubuntu Studio rather than Ubuntu, or having the same version of Carla downloaded from two different places, would have any bearing on this bug.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I can check tomorrow which version of Carla i'm using. I switched to REAPER meanwhile and it works perfectly.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

Is this going to cause conflicts/confusion with the updated versions I receive through the repositories? Sorry, I'm not an experienced Linux user and could probably use some pointers on uninstalling/deactivating the repositories version and installing the "pre-compiled binaries for Linux" (I assume that's the one with qt4) on that download page. Any suggestions would be welcome.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I have Version 1.9.8 (2.0 beta6) installed with Qt 5.7.1 and I have the problem with Wave.

:|

Hmmm.. Carla from repos uses Qt4, wtf???
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

I downloaded the Qt4 version and installed the carla.vst folder into usr/lib/vst
That seems to have taken care of the problem. The top border remains intact and can be opened, closed and pinned without any problem. I was able to load a couple of .lv2 synths into Carla and everything worked.
It only works in rack mode -- the patchbay version crashes with Qt4 or Qt5. I don't really care about that -- I'm happy to have the rack working correctly in Waveform.
My usr/lib/vst folder had a carla.vst folder already in it (the Qt5 version). I moved it out to do this test. Is there any reason I can't rename the folder with the Qt4 version "carlaQt4.vst" and restore the carla.vst with Qt5 back into the same folder? That way, when the repositories update they won't be changing my Qt4 plugin. I'd like to have the Qt5 version available and up to date for use in Ardour.
(Tracktion Waveform scans usr/lib/vst and whatever other folders you designate for new/updated plugins.)
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

Having two Carla folders in usr/lib/vst -- one called carlaQt4.vst and one called carla.vst -- seems to work OK.