Poll ZynAddSubFX new UI

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

What to do regarding the new ZynAddSubFX UI in the kxstudio repos?

Total votes: 0

forestandgarden
Established Member

Re: Poll ZynAddSubFX new UI

Post by forestandgarden »

I admittedly voted without much knowledge of the cause, but ugly as it looks, the old interface at least I do know, and if there's an alternative package for those who want cutting edge, as I understand, everybody should be covered, no?
some of my stuff is ending up here https://alooshu.byethost17.com and here https://clyp.it/user/i4p5dng1 , and you can love me at https://liberapay.com/aloo_shu
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

I would say that a transition to the new UI would be a welcomed change for ZynAddSubFX and a hat off to the work done by Fundamental.
Shupacabras
Established Member

Post by Shupacabras »

I agree with updating the GUI
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

Can't there be some sort of middle-ground? What about updating to the new GUI, but temporarily providing an additional "fallback" package with the original GUI for people who rely on it for "mission-critical" work and suddenly find that the new GUI breaks their immediate workflow. Both are based on the stable version (i.e. not the Git version). Then phase out the fallback version after a few months when everyone has had time to adapt to the new GUI.
Just an idea. Personally though I'm fine to take the leap to the new GUI.
hyenaz
Established Member

Post by hyenaz »

The new UI looks enticing. Update
assink
Established Member

Post by assink »

Well, I guess we all have to learn the new UI at some point, no?
I compiled it last night tho, but would be nice just to have it from the repositories :)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I voted to bring in the new UI, but like noedig said, maybe there could be three packages, one for the old UI, one for the stable new UI, and one for the latest bleeding edge build from git.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Are there any downsides to the new UI other than things being in different places? If not, update!
m.lp.ql.m
Established Member

Post by m.lp.ql.m »

Other than the ramp-up time to relearn the UI, are there any other drawbacks? I've admittedly used ZynAddSubFX so infrequently in the past that the new UI seems much prettier, but not much less complex. It may get me to actually use ZASF though! :D
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

m.lp.ql.m wrote:Other than the ramp-up time to relearn the UI, are there any other drawbacks? I've admittedly used ZynAddSubFX so infrequently in the past that the new UI seems much prettier, but not much less complex.
Agreed. I was a supporter for the new Zyn-Fusion interface hoping it would be easier to use. It's really attractive but I'll admit I have a hard time finding my way around it and that means I don't use Zyn much anymore.

Last time I looked there wasn't any user documentation aside from the promo video on the sourceforge page (which looks cool but isn't informative).

I vote to replace the old Zyn in the hopes that it inspires/forces some kind of basic manual or a short video walk-through!
listenable at c6a7.org
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

m.lp.ql.m wrote:Other than the ramp-up time to relearn the UI, are there any other drawbacks? I've admittedly used ZynAddSubFX so infrequently in the past that the new UI seems much prettier, but not much less complex. It may get me to actually use ZASF though! :D
Documentation is always a concern and certainly one of the difficult things about changing an user interface. The primary goal of the new user interface is to make things more usable (i.e. managed complexity). So while the underlying complex engine is still there the UI is designed to incorporate a number of features which make it easier to find the parameter that you want and easier to understand what's happening when you change it. While the new UI might not accomplish this goal for everyone at the moment the hope is that it still should present a large improvement over the prior interface.

If you're interested in seeing some of the new interface in a tutorial context I would recommend seeing some of unfa's work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axtVERiqUIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf-8JkGVeoY
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I voted to keep the new GUI in the Git version, since people could then have a choice.
That said, I am also very much of the belief that the GUI of a synth is very important in encouraging people to use it. Lots of features and options are always nice on paper, but if people feel like they get lost in it, they might not ever really get to know how powerful it is.
Lastly, since Yoshimi has maintained the original look and feel, Zyn's new look might make it more attractive to those who shy away from Yoshimi.

My humble 2c..

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

Like Brian, I voted for the new UI.

I looked at the youtube video of unfa interviewing Mark McCurry (fundamental) and I understood that besides the UI changes (truly deserved), the new interface decouples the audio engine from the GUI, that before were (too) closely interconnected. Communication between GUI and audio engine is now handled via Open Sound Control protocol, so this is a big change that in principle allows for third parties interfaces to be added "more easily" (unfa mentioned the gui running on a PC and the audio engine running on a different one on the net). This is quite a big step forward in modernization.
I understood that it was a huge amount of work and it could (it will) be buggy initially. Moreover, like Briandc said, the Fusion interface may attract several people, like me :-) that are inspired by a nice gui. I'm not saying that the old one is bad, but the new one is a bit of fresh air. ZynFusion in Zyn-git could be a nice idea.
Zin thoughts on Zyn.

Regards,
Alberto
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

AlbertoZ wrote:the new interface decouples the audio engine from the GUI, that before were (too) closely interconnected. Communication between GUI and audio engine is now handled via Open Sound Control protocol, so this is a big change that in principle allows for third parties interfaces to be added "more easily" (unfa mentioned the gui running on a PC and the audio engine running on a different one on the net)
That work was actually done prior to the GUI rewrite for the 2.5.0+ (Feb 2015) series of releases. The reworking of the internal architecture was a major step which made large changes like the GUI rewrite possible.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

That work was actually done prior to the GUI rewrite for the 2.5.0+ (Feb 2015) series of releases. The reworking of the internal architecture was a major step which made large changes like the GUI rewrite possible.
Ah, ok, didn't know about that. Thanks for pointing it out..

Alberto