Poll ZynAddSubFX new UI

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

What to do regarding the new ZynAddSubFX UI in the kxstudio repos?

Total votes: 0

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Re: Poll ZynAddSubFX new UI

Post by AlbertoZ »

Like Brian, I voted for the new UI.

I looked at the youtube video of unfa interviewing Mark McCurry (fundamental) and I understood that besides the UI changes (truly deserved), the new interface decouples the audio engine from the GUI, that before were (too) closely interconnected. Communication between GUI and audio engine is now handled via Open Sound Control protocol, so this is a big change that in principle allows for third parties interfaces to be added "more easily" (unfa mentioned the gui running on a PC and the audio engine running on a different one on the net). This is quite a big step forward in modernization.
I understood that it was a huge amount of work and it could (it will) be buggy initially. Moreover, like Briandc said, the Fusion interface may attract several people, like me :-) that are inspired by a nice gui. I'm not saying that the old one is bad, but the new one is a bit of fresh air. ZynFusion in Zyn-git could be a nice idea.
Zin thoughts on Zyn.

Regards,
Alberto
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

AlbertoZ wrote:the new interface decouples the audio engine from the GUI, that before were (too) closely interconnected. Communication between GUI and audio engine is now handled via Open Sound Control protocol, so this is a big change that in principle allows for third parties interfaces to be added "more easily" (unfa mentioned the gui running on a PC and the audio engine running on a different one on the net)
That work was actually done prior to the GUI rewrite for the 2.5.0+ (Feb 2015) series of releases. The reworking of the internal architecture was a major step which made large changes like the GUI rewrite possible.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

That work was actually done prior to the GUI rewrite for the 2.5.0+ (Feb 2015) series of releases. The reworking of the internal architecture was a major step which made large changes like the GUI rewrite possible.
Ah, ok, didn't know about that. Thanks for pointing it out..

Alberto
hyenaz
Established Member

Post by hyenaz »

Hello falktx,
What was the outcome?

Is it possible to install the new ui with kxstudio yet? Or do we compile from source or buy it?

Thanks!

Adrienne
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

zynaddsubfx-git crashed twice yesterday in renoise on kxstudio. Anyone else observing instabilities?
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Update new Gui is ok for me :D Hi Felipe

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

in general, i prefer new UI, but there's one issue.
new UI does not work on some quite old but still usable hardware, mainly with integrated intel video, that supports only OpenGL 1.x. (for example, one of my machines with Intel DG33 motherboard, Core Quad CPU and 8GB RAM — that's enough in many cases).
so, it's good to have packages with old UI as an option.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Is the git package not available at the moment? I cannot find it when I search for it.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

It will take some time for users who use an old NTK UI to learn a new ZynAddSubFX UI, so I'd keep it in Git for a couple of months. Or maybe call it "ZynAddSubFX-Fusion" package for the new UI, but "-git" is fine.

I would like to think of an analogy for the Windows world. It's like forcing you to learn Windows 8 even though you are familiar with Windows 7. Two different workflows.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.