Guitarix - Can't update or re-install

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Zeugitai
Established Member

Guitarix - Can't update or re-install

Post by Zeugitai »

Salutations!

Recently, I have been trying to set up an audio recording station on my Lenovo W510 (I'm going to be traveling). I started with Ubuntu Studio 17.04.

I immediately ran into issues, one of which was the sampler not 'connecting' / not working. Although I've tinkered with Ubuntu over the years and used it superficially for daily internet and email, I am by no means Linux-savvy. I scoured and searched. Several times, I ran across articles that recommended adding the KXStudio repositories for certain additional functionality, and it seemed to make sense, so I followed the instructions and did so.

Then, system update was always ending by showing issues with Guitarix, so, I tried uninstalling it with the intention of reinstalling it, but reinstallation is failing with the following messages:

Unpacking guitarix (2:0.35.6+git20170910v5) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/guitarix_2%3a0.35.6+git20170910v5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libgxw.so.0.1', which is also in package libgxw0 0.35.2-2
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/guitarix_2%3a0.35.6+git20170910v5_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I do not know enough to be able to interpret and resolve this, and I am appealing to the community for help!

Many thanks!
finotti
Established Member

Re: Guitarix - Can't update or re-install

Post by finotti »

You could try:

Code: Select all

apt -f install
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

I gave up. I offloaded some data and started all over again. This time, I'll stay with KXStudio and only KXStudio. I did a fresh install. Immediately, upon trying to use Firefox 55.0.2 as installed, I discovered that checkboxes on webpages are invisible. Since they are obviously there even if they cannot be seen, I click to check the emptiness where they must be and send the page, and --voila!-- it works. However, since I have only the most rudimentary of clairvoyant abilities, I'd prefer to see the checkboxes to begin with. Anyone else encounter this issue? This is fresh, stock install of KXStudio to which I have done nothing!
Zeugitai
Established Member

Post by Zeugitai »

falkTX wrote:firefox issue is sadly something that will be there until the next major release ISO.
the "fix" is to change the gtk3 theme within systemsettings -> appearance -> GTK.
A 'fix' that is working well so far is the use of Vivaldi instead of Firefox. Incidentally, I'm enjoying and appreciating Vivaldi in the process.
infernal

Post by infernal »

had the same problem this answer helped me solved it https://askubuntu.com/questions/405862/ ... 7e2217ba76