Toshiba fan controll with KXStudio Iso

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

genericuser123

Toshiba fan controll with KXStudio Iso

Post by genericuser123 »

Hi. Having a problem that seems specific to an install of the last KXStudio iso (haven't tried the latest one, however I've been regularly performing software updates with no change in the situation)

The install was performed on a Toshiba Satellite L305/Portable PC w/Insyde BIOS 2.20 (the latest version available). I've run many many older and newer Debian/Ubuntu variant systems on this machine with no problems (The current KX studio partition previously hosted UStudio 14.04 with KX repos enabled) BUT the boot script needs to be modified with the flag "acpi_osi="Linux"" to get proper system variable fan control. This is really needed for audio work otherwise the proc just heats up untill the failsafe kicks in and blasts the fan at max untill a reboot. Please note that this is NOT one of the earlier non-Insyde BIOS Toshiba machines that require the use of the FN/FX or Omnibook modules to get this to work. Those packages have no effect on this machine as they were not designed for it.

The other distros (sub-distros, whatever you want to call them) will accept the "acpi_osi="Linux"" flag and perform as expected, however KX Studio seems to be rejecting it. The bootlog includes the following lines:

[ 0.000000] DMI: TOSHIBA Satellite L305/Portable PC, BIOS 2.20 12/09/2009

[ 0.065556] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored

[ 1.371023] pci 0000:00:1a.7: EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug?) 01010001
[ 2.473026] pci 0000:00:1d.7: EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug?) 01010001

Any ideas on how to get this to behave? I'm going to have to replace the install if I can't as this is seriously obnioxious problem.