VST instruments via Carla Patchbay and recording

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tobbe
Established Member

VST instruments via Carla Patchbay and recording

Post by Tobbe »

Hi,

Can I record VST instruments (wine installed) via Carla Patchbay in lets say Ardour/Harrison Mixbus? I found a great free bassguitar http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... ass&id=190 the other day and I can see the volume meter moving but when I hit record it stops. Do I need to configure Carla in a special way or Ardour/Harrison Mixbus?

//Tobbe
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: VST instruments via Carla Patchbay and recording

Post by Michael Willis »

Yes, I've been able to use Carla Patchbay and Carla Rack in Ardour. As I remember it wasn't that complicated, seems like I had to install the Carla win64 bridge, then added the Carla plugin to an audio bus, then loaded the Win VST inside of the carla plugin.
Tobbe
Established Member

Post by Tobbe »

Thank you for your answer. I forgot to mention that I add a miditrack and then Carla Patchbay to it. But nothing gets recorded. Maybe it doesn't work with midi or I miss something.

https://youtu.be/oZ_2PaBmCCU
I watch this but it's hard to see the connections in Catia. He's using Ardour and recording a miditrack via Carla/Kontakt. I try to do the same but I can't get it to work. I send a message to him, but no answer yet.

I'll search further...

//Tobbe
jiff41
Established Member

Post by jiff41 »

Make sure you change the input selector to 'IN' before recording :wink: ,,,It's in the manual :)
Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (21.76 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
I Started out with nothing & still have most of it left.! (Seasick Steve) :lol:
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

This sounds similar to something I've encountered before...

Do you ever hear the bass? Are you sure you see the audio meter moving and not the MIDI meter moving?

If your answer is yes to either, what I will suggest might not be your problem. BUT: it seems that you need to "pin" the connections for Carla. (This is from memory, so it might not be 100% accurate...) Right click on the Carla plugin and then "pin connections". Click on "manual (connections)" (or something like that) and then add two "audio outputs". Then connect the green connections on the bottom.

Something similar was driving me crazy before... It seems that in previous versions of Ardour, Carla would automatically pin the audio connections...
Tobbe
Established Member

Post by Tobbe »

finotti wrote:This sounds similar to something I've encountered before...

Do you ever hear the bass? Are you sure you see the audio meter moving and not the MIDI meter moving?

If your answer is yes to either, what I will suggest might not be your problem. BUT: it seems that you need to "pin" the connections for Carla. (This is from memory, so it might not be 100% accurate...) Right click on the Carla plugin and then "pin connections". Click on "manual (connections)" (or something like that) and then add two "audio outputs". Then connect the green connections on the bottom.

Something similar was driving me crazy before... It seems that in previous versions of Ardour, Carla would automatically pin the audio connections...
I think I have done every single thing but I can't get it to work. Thanks for all your tips, I try to figure it out by "reading" the manual :)
Tobbe
Established Member

Post by Tobbe »

jiff41 wrote:Make sure you change the input selector to 'IN' before recording :wink: ,,,It's in the manual :)
Selection_001.png
Done that also :)

//Tobbe