Missing component non-free

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

Missing component non-free

Post by Lyberta »

I'm getting this when doing apt-get update on Debian Testing/Buster:

Code: Select all

W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'non-free/i18n/Translation-en_US' as repository 'http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/repo gcc5 InRelease' doesn't have the component 'non-free' (component misspelt in sources.list?)
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Missing component non-free

Post by Lyberta »

Still happening.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

I thought non-free is where the LinuxSampler resides.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

falkTX wrote:Let's not start this discussion again.
But people need to know whether the software they download is free or non-free. People need to know that LinuxSampler and current build of Carla (and who knows what else) is non-free. You can't silently break the trust because there is almost no way to gain it back.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

falkTX wrote:Your attitude regarding this subject is out of line, you're not going to convince anyone to go opensource acting like that - on the contrary, you're pushing people away.
Hear, hear!
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

falkTX wrote:Your attitude regarding this subject is out of line, you're not going to convince anyone to go opensource acting like that - on the contrary, you're pushing people away.
My views and standards are in line with Free Software Foundation because they have very simple terms and are responsible for the inception of free software movement and the most important free software projects. The problem is that if you don't support the views of FSF, you directly or indirectly support proprietary software and that hurts all the people.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Here we go again :roll:
You have to understand that this forum is about music with Linux, including things like Wine, windows VST bridges, closed source native linux plugins, etc.
Please stop derailing threads with your approach, it is not constructive and even make negative publicity for FLOSS/FSF as you post with extremism like a close-minded person which you certainly aren't.
I don't know... Just add something like "support FSF!" and a link in your signature to something explaining why this is important for you and post constructive things around music instead, please? :D
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

barbouze wrote:I don't know... Just add something like "support FSF!" and a link in your signature to something explaining why this is important for you and post constructive things around music instead, please? :D
Brilliant idea, I dunno if it will fit in the character limit though.

On the issue at hand: I understand that it is difficult to run 100% FOSS, I myself have proprietary GPU firmware installed. That's why I've chosen Debian as my OS, because it has a perfect compromise for me - it has non-free packages but they are clearly marked as such and are not installed by default. But the way they integrate those packages makes it not approved by FSF.

I was under impression that KXStudio uses the same system. I was dumb because I didn't carefully read the license of LinuxSampler and made some music with it. Now I need LinuxSampler to be able to edit it. I thought that if non-free section of KXStudio is missing, I will lose access to LinuxSampler and that's why I started this thread.

However, if KXStudio doesn't differentiate free from non-free, I will need to study the license of each package before I install it. That's extremely inconvenient. I'd rather not make music at all.
m.lp.ql.m
Established Member

Post by m.lp.ql.m »

I'd rather make music than study licences.

OMG, should I be worried that LinuxSampler's going to show up on my doorstep some night and break my fingers unless I give them edit access to my terrible music? :P

Am I breaking the law? Yes? Good! All the more in the spirit of rock-n-roll! :D