system crashes

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jon tomes
Established Member

Re: system crashes

Post by jon tomes »

ok, here's a weird one - not sure if this is off topic or not so please bear with me

as far as i'm concerned my machine is fixed, apart from the 1/2 ram issue which doesn't bother me that much

but when i installed low-latency kernel (3.13) - the same behaviour occurred: spontaneous freeze for no reason apparent to me

so i'm like wtf??

any ideas, or should i start a new topic?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's the same kernel version you had before isn't it? If you can use PPAs in mint then I would suggest a newer kernel, mainline (low latency), liquorix, mub. These all have the 'low latency' option enabled in their configs.
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

sysrqer wrote:That's the same kernel version you had before isn't it? If you can use PPAs in mint then I would suggest a newer kernel, mainline (low latency), liquorix, mub. These all have the 'low latency' option enabled in their configs.
yes, the very same - rocking4.11 now (mainline) - i couldn't find the low latency version so this is generic, but it's all back working again - maybe it was the kernel all along causing the problems?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jon tomes wrote:maybe it was the kernel all along causing the problems?
Certainly looking like that, might be a regression in that particular version. Depending on what you want to do you can probably get away with the generic but there should be a low latency version available - http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.11.8/
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

42low wrote:
jon tomes wrote:as far as i'm concerned my machine is fixed, apart from the 1/2 ram issue which doesn't bother me that much
This could be if your internal memory banks have higher specs (gb's) than your mother board can handle.
the specs on the mobo are high (i got the machine off a gamer) and it was reading the full value when i first put the ram in
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

42low wrote:
jon tomes wrote:but when i installed low-latency kernel (3.13) - the same behaviour occurred: spontaneous freeze for no reason apparent to me
Then don't install it an option?
I haven't installed a low-latency kernel either. Never did. Works great for me.
that's cool i will stick with the generic one i have - and now i can make some MUSIC - HOORAY!!!
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

42low wrote:
jon tomes wrote:
42low wrote: This could be if your internal memory banks have higher specs (gb's) than your mother board can handle.
the specs on the mobo are high (i got the machine off a gamer) and it was reading the full value when i first put the ram in
Ok. But if a bank is read false there mostly is a common reason.
- motherboard and banks have different specs so motherboard can't handle the banks.
- bank broken (but mostly only one. you have it with all, so that would be strange....although not impossible)
- motherboard broke

Can i mention some other minor reasons like 'connection' broke but again as you have it on all that's highly unexpectedly.

The fact that your banks don't give what their supposed to is strange.
No matter what os you have, your pc has to recognize those banks already starting the bios.
That should be a fixed fact. That shouldn't (can't) be divergent.
Got it, I was confused - those sticks are 2gb, not 4, so all is well
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Lol
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

pdate - upgraded to rosa 17.3, all working well

many thanks to 42low, Luc, rghvdberg, and sysrqer, for all your help, and patience