Can't install JACK on Debian Testing

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

Can't install JACK on Debian Testing

Post by Lyberta »

It requires libreadline6 but Debian Testing ships with libreadline7.
wjl
Established Member

Re: Can't install JACK on Debian Testing

Post by wjl »

Hmmm, you are right - it doesn't seem to be in the Stretch repos. However, you can get it from Sid:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

AFAIK, AVLinux (which is based on Stretch) just brought out their newest version, so I guess you could also get the packet from their repositories.

HTH,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Strange, I've just looked at my main PC and I have zesty version of jackd2 and it works fine with libreadline7. My laptop on the other hand doesn't have zesty version of KXStudio installed. I have installed deb packages from KXStudio site.
falkTX wrote:Thanks for the report, I guess testing will be moving quite fast from now on.
I expect all sort of things to break soon. Move on the stretch if possible.
What? I'm pretty sure that Stretch is not released yet. And when it will, I will continue to use Testing because I like newer version of packages. Especially I'm waiting for GCC 7 with its great C++17 support.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Lyberta wrote:I'm pretty sure that Stretch is not released yet. And when it will, I will continue to use Testing because I like newer version of packages. Especially I'm waiting for GCC 7 with its great C++17 support.
Well, I'm with falkTX here - as a Debian user, you know that 'testing' and 'unstable' always have the risk of breaking things - for end users, it's 'stable' (together with 'backports' if you want newer packages).

For me, and for production work, it's 'stable' since years. Either I want to get things done, or I want to play around with Debian (which I also sometimes do). You should probably consider getting both as dual boot if you really want to do development (or testing) work besides music.

Just my 2 (Euro-) Cents...
more about me on my blog
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

falkTX wrote:The zesty packages are for ubuntu only, shouldn't be used directly on debian.
my point with the kxstudio repos is to have generic packages that work everywhere. the split of gcc5-abi specific packages is already not nice, I don't want to add yet another variant for debian testing.
Strange. I have installed KXStudio repos to my main PC in 2014 and it registered Ubuntu packages by default. I followed the instructions carefully.

Btw even without Ubuntu packages, Ubuntu version of fontconfig is still being pulled.
wjl wrote:For me, and for production work, it's 'stable' since years. Either I want to get things done, or I want to play around with Debian (which I also sometimes do). You should probably consider getting both as dual boot if you really want to do development (or testing) work besides music.
I don't like the idea of having specific distro for different things. I make music, I develop software, I play video games, I do lot of things on my Debian Testing PC, I barely ever had problems with it.