question re: kxstudio repository and updates

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

braintree12
Established Member

question re: kxstudio repository and updates

Post by braintree12 »

I am on Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and have the KXStudio repositories. Independently, I have purchased (or donated for) and installed the current versions of Ardour ( 5.8 ) and Zyn-Fusion (aka ZynSubAddFX 3.01).
When my Ubuntu software updater runs, it keeps checking off Ardour 4 as needing to be updated. I don't need 5.8 from KXStudio since I am keeping current with Ardour on my own. How can I remove Ardour 4 from the update queue?
Also, I bought Zyn-Fusion at version 3.01 and would like to get 3.02, which recently came available. However, I am being prompted by the updater to update from 2.5.4 to 3.01 (which I already have). Is there a way to resolve these conflicts? I keep unchecking Ardour and ZynSubAddFX when I update, is there a better way? Any advice would be appreciated.
Chibchan
Established Member

Re: question re: kxstudio repository and updates

Post by Chibchan »

How to hold package(s).
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto
Hope it helps.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You should be able to remove the packages with 'sudo apt remove ardour4 zynaddsubfx' (replacing with the actual package names). Unless they are being pulled in with the meta packages. Either way it should be too much of a problem to have more than one version installed.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

Thanks -- I don't mind having two versions of Ardour. I'm assuming that KXStudio's update of Ardour 4 will install 5.8, overwriting the version I've been working with. I don't know if that's bad or good but it seems undesirable. I decided to stick with Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and not upgrade to 16.10, partly because I didn't want to over-write Ardour and some other programs I'm happy with. The difference is, the updater doesn't keep nagging me to install 16.10. I will try uninstalling those packages.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I use kxstudio repo and I use the official binary so it's definitely possible to not have the kxstudio version installed. I think the kxstudio version installs to /usr instead of /opt which is where the official one installs but probably best not to have both the same version installed.

By the way ardour and ardour4 are separate packages in kxstudio I think, ardour is the v5.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

OK, thanks, I will allow the update. What about ZynSubAddFX? I downloaded an "authorized" version of Zyn-Fusion from the website after I purchased it. Is that different from Version 3.01 in the KXStudio repositories?
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

OK, thanks. I like the new interface, so I may uninstall the KXStudio version, if I can figure out how to do it.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

I couldn't make heads nor tails of what needed to kept and what needed to be uninstalled in the package manager, so I let the updater update zynaddsubfx from the kxstudio version 2.5.4. This installed 3.01 but with the "classic" interface.
I had received an email with a link to Zyn-Fusion 3.0.2cr a couple of weeks ago -- the link didn't work, so I downloaded the tar of 3.0.2cr in demo mode, untarred, moved the glpsol and COPYING.glpsol files from the 3.01 folder to the 3.02cr folder (so my version would be licensed), said a short prayer, and ran the install script from inside the 3.02cr folder. This installed the new, Zyn-Fusion interface, it seems to be working, and I am no longer being prompted to update. Whew, lot of work.