Question about upgrade one package

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

goines
Established Member

Question about upgrade one package

Post by goines »

Hello everyone. About a few months I have this packages to upgrade but I don't feel I want to upgrade headers at now. But I don't know if I can upgrade just the meta audio without the headers, I mean if this is a correct thing to do, or I need upgrade also the headers.
Sorry if I am way off of this, I really don't know even the command to do this stuff. I just know about sudo apt-get distupgrade that upgrade everything, but as I said, I don't want to do that, instead I just want to upgrade the meta audio, if is ok do that.

Thank you all.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Question about upgrade one package

Post by sysrqer »

You should upgrade the kernel packages, if there is a problem then your old one will still be there to boot in to, just choose it in the grub on bootup.
goines
Established Member

Post by goines »

Ok. As I know, the computer init for it self when I start it. I don't know how choose that. But ok, I will learn this and see what happen. Thanks.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

If you don't see the grub on startup I think you need to press and hold a button, shift key I think if you run ubuntu, and you will get the option to choose the kernel to boot with.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

falkTX wrote:The name of that argument is terrible though, it just installs or removes extra packages, it doesn't actually upgrade your entire distro :lol:
Oh, on debian/sid, as it is a rolling release, it does. :wink:
It does upgrade the entire distro, not the distro-release-version,
On the road again.
goines
Established Member

Post by goines »

Ok. I will do the dist-upgrade just because I want to know what plugins will be the new. And I don't know if the last release of lmms 1.2 rc (that I waiting for it) will need a new meta.package, but I don't think so.

Also I looking for the easy way to understand how choose the kernel in the case of new kernel fails. This happened to me once, when I used Kubuntu, but that happened because I restarted the system before the install was complete. But obviously to me was a terrifying situation :D

Now I think I'm using one of this two kernels:

ii linux-image-lowlatency 3.13.0.77.83
ii linux-image-3.13.0-77-lowlatency 3.13.0-77.121

This doubt is because when I do uname -r I see this info:

3.13.0-77-lowlatency

I assume that is the "ii linux-image-3.13.0-77-lowlatency 3.13.0-77.121" kernel version.

Thank you all.