Fontconfig

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

Fontconfig

Post by Lyberta »

So apparently KXStudio repos have fontconfig and it has the newer version than in Debian Testing. After update to 2.11.94-0ubuntu1.1 the fonts of Firefox and Qt apps became extremely horrible. I have other PCs with Debian testing and they have normal fonts. How can I reverse this? I've tried rolling back the versions but that didn't help.
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Fontconfig

Post by Lyberta »

I've never messed with fonts myself, and the MATE GUI for fonts has the same settings between machines. I'm happy to post contents of config files which you'd request.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Phew, I downgraded all fontconfig packages and fonts returned back to normal. I have no idea how Ubuntu users deal with these, they are horrible.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Fontconfig 2.12 arrived to Debian Testing and fonts became horrible even on PCs without KXStudio repos. Apparently it's not an Ubuntu's fault. :(

EDIT: Oh, thankfully, I had a PC with 2.10 and was able to find the source of the problem. Remove /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf and fonts will be back to normal.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Lyberta wrote:Remove /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf and fonts will be back to normal.
That's an option but with a future update the file will be installed again. Maybe commenting the whole file would be a better option.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Alright, a few weeks later there was another update that actually notified users about the change and contains the proper way to revert:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config
...and select full hinting.