Qtractor can't open Calf Plugins

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

oscillator
Established Member

Qtractor can't open Calf Plugins

Post by oscillator »

Hi,

I have installed QTractor via the KXStudio repos.

I create a track, then insert a plugin via the mixer. When I click "Edit" to load/show the plugin (in my case "Calf Fluidsynth") QTractor crashes.

The About box shows "LV2 Plug-in UI GTK2 native support disabled." Is this the problem? How to enable it?

I don't know where to find the logs, but this is what the Jack logs show:

Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: Cannot write socket fd = 15 err = Broken pipe
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: CheckRes error
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: Could not write notification
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 3 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 4 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 5 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 6 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: Failed to find port 'Qtractor:Master/in_1' to destroy
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 3 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: Failed to find port 'Qtractor:Master/in_2' to destroy
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 4 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: Failed to find port 'Qtractor:Master/out_1' to destroy
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 5 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: Failed to find port 'Qtractor:Master/out_2' to destroy
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = Qtractor notification = 10 val1 = 6 val2 = 0
Wed Jan 4 14:34:54 2017: Client 'Qtractor' with PID 1907 is out

Running: Debian GNU/Linux stretch/sid 64-bit

Best regards,

Staffan
Sweden

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

oscillator
Established Member

Re: Qtractor can't open Calf Plugins

Post by oscillator »

Thanks, falkTX!

The Style themes I have available under View > Options > Display are
(default)
Windows
Fusion

Unfortunately, Calf Fluidsynth crashes whichever I select (and I have restarted QTr after each change).

Best regards,

Staffan

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I have downloaded the source, installed a bunch of dependencies and finally managed to compile QTractor. Calf Fluidsynth now works!

What could the problem have been?

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Although now I have another problem. When I create a new clip using menu item Clip, I am presented with the Session dialog. If I click the file selection button (to change the directory), QTractor hangs.

I ran QTractor from the terminal and got the message after hang:

tk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

I will try another theme...no, can't find a theme where it works.

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

And It's strange, because I can select a directory/folder when loading SF2s into Calf Fluidsynth.

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

QTractor shows a message:

QXckConnection: XCB error: 8 (Bad Match)...(...) major code: 1 (CreatwWindows) (...)
QXckConnection: XCB error: 8 (Bad Windows)...(...) major code: 18 (ChangeProperty) (...)

thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

For the issue with Calf GUIs in Qtractor, this worked for me in Debian testing:
thebutant wrote:1/

Code: Select all

sudo apt install qt5-style-plugins
2/

export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE='gtk2'
3/ Open Qtractor, press F12 -> Display -> Style theme -> change this to gtk2.
4/ Qtractor looks great again, GUIs work again.

Unfortunately this fixes only Qtractor, not other QT5 applications. At least for me.

There is a command that's supposed to fix it for every QT5 application, but for me it makes no difference.
Maybe it does for someone else, so here it is just in case:

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2
Unfortunately 1: This 0.8.0 qt5 version of Qtractor does still not work too well for me. It seems I can edit sound quite fine, but a lot of midi tracks sound terrible and there's no use editing them in the qt5 version. Also the program shuts down quite often due to SIGABRT issues. However FalkTX was kind and pointed out where to get the qt4 version of 0.8.0:
falkTX wrote:You can use the old qt4 build in the mean time (while debian testing still has the issue).
Grab the deb file at the end of this page: https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... hive-extra
(either i386 or amd64 depending on what you use)
Unfortunately 2: Even the qt4 version shuts down quite often due to (something like) "memory segmentation fault". Especially when I zoom in or out during playback, it seems.

Hm. It is a bit troubling, this. During the more than 3 years I've used Qtractor on a daily basis, I've never had a build as unstable as I do now. I realize it's probably more because of dependencies rather than the program itself. Still I don't know what to do with it.
Really hope it's just a phase.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

thebutant wrote:Unfortunately 1: This 0.8.0 qt5 version of Qtractor does still not work too well for me. It seems I can edit sound quite fine, but a lot of midi tracks sound terrible and there's no use editing them in the qt5 version.
midi tracks sound terrible on the qt5 build? in what freaking way ? o.O
please, elaborate on this experience as much as you can, and let me know about your experience, please.
thebutant wrote:Unfortunately 2: Even the qt4 version shuts down quite often due to (something like) "memory segmentation fault". Especially when I zoom in or out during playback, it seems.
this might have been fixed already on git head, see https://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/tickets/223

cheers
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

I always feel bad when bringing up issues I have with Qtractor.
Please never forget it's my no. 1 favourite piece of software. I love you for making it. :wink:
So here it goes:
rncbc wrote:midi tracks sound terrible on the qt5 build? in what freaking way ? o.O
please, elaborate on this experience as much as you can, and let me know about your experience, please.
I open up a project, for example this song I've been working on lately. It has drums, bass, some synth, vocals. I press playback and hear something that could be a bassdrum. But it's not the bassdrum from the song. Also it does not follow any midi pattern from the song. I can not find the logic of its rhythm. After some seconds a synth joins in. Kind of ambient sound, like a soundscape. Not a synth from the song, though. Also not following any midi patterns, I can't figure out where it gets its impulses from. The vocals I cannot hear, but on the mixer they jump up and down. Peaking a lot (they don't peak normally), but sometimes being all quiet (remember - soundwise they're quiet all the time, no sound from them), without any relation to what the recording looks like. Also they are panning, sometimes peaking in the left channel, sometimes the right one is louder, even though the recording is mono. Master output is at max all the time. When playback stops, the master output sometimes goes quiet, sometimes still showing sound. Anywhere from just a little to max. Sometimes there is still some sound playing, the synth-kindof sound. The bassdrum-kindof sound always seem to go quiet.

As you see, it's just totally random behaviour, hardly relating to the project at all.
BUT when I uninstall Qtractor, reinstall the qt4 build, it all sounds fine again.
If I then upgrade to the qt5 build, it still sounds fine!
And then after reboot: Qtractor is once again on a very bad trip.
rncbc wrote:this might have been fixed already on git head, see https://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/tickets/223
Great news! Thanks!
Looking forward to try that.
(i'm staring at my shoes, blushing. during the soon 8 years that I've used gnu/linux only, I have still not managed to install one single program from git. always something not going as it should. this time also, yes (more blushing)).
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

thebutant wrote:I always feel bad when bringing up issues I have with Qtractor.
Please never forget it's my no. 1 favourite piece of software. I love you for making it. :wink:
So here it goes:
rncbc wrote:midi tracks sound terrible on the qt5 build? in what freaking way ? o.O
As you see, it's just totally random behaviour, hardly relating to the project at all.
BUT when I uninstall Qtractor, reinstall the qt4 build, it all sounds fine again.
If I then upgrade to the qt5 build, it still sounds fine!
And then after reboot: Qtractor is once again on a very bad trip.
wow. sure it ain't a poltergeist lurking in there? :)
by the way you tell it sounds like there's some paranormal activity going on in there.
just kidding (or maybe not :cry:)
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Hi,

still can't use QTractor because of this:

When I create a new clip using menu item Clip, I am presented with the Session dialog. If I click the file selection button (to change the directory), QTractor hangs.

I had the same problem when opening projects but that one disappeared when unchecking the System dialogs setting.

But, in

http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/1790?p ... mment-7310

Michael had compiled a new version of QTractor which worked!

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

oscillator wrote:Hi,

still can't use QTractor because of this:

When I create a new clip using menu item Clip, I am presented with the Session dialog. If I click the file selection button (to change the directory), QTractor hangs.

I had the same problem when opening projects but that one disappeared when unchecking the System dialogs setting.
yes, that's the don't "Use desktop environment dialogs" options, and a matter of fact it had no effect on the session directory requester, until... yesterday it is now fixed on git head alright.

meanwhile, you can always write the session directory by hand in the provided entry field, avoid hitting that button on the right ;)
oscillator wrote:But, in

http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/1790?p ... mment-7310

Michael had compiled a new version of QTractor which worked!
note that, as Michael states, this is still a qt4 build.

hth.
byee
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

wait

why the hell isn't there suil(-libs) >= 0.8.4 available from the mighty kxstudio repos?

suil 0.8.4, which was released on last november 20, 2016, adds support for LV2 Gtk2 and X11 plugin UIs on Qt5 hosts alright and, must say, that being missing is surely a hindrance to any qtractor-qt5 build and runtime, most esp. re. OP--all Calf LV2 UIs are still plain Gtk2, afaict.

please urge falktx to make suil 0.8.4 ready into the kxstudio repos as soon as... yesterday ;)

byee

[EDIT:] actually, suil 0.8.4 was released even earlier, on september 20, 2016.
Last edited by rncbc on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

rncbc wrote:why the hell isn't there suil(-libs) >= 0.8.4 available from the mighty kxstudio repos?

suil 0.8.4, which was released on last november 20, 2016
suil is still at 0.8.2 in the official Arch repo, too – which is supposed to provide the latest and greatest. So hold your horses, it’s not singular. Well, we have a -git version in AUR which we can compile, which sort of saves the day for AUR packages, but still. :mrgreen:
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

falkTX wrote:I completely forgot about suil... updated now.
maybe I need to rebuild qtractor, but afaik suil api/abi hasn't changed.
afaics, rebuilding qtractor is not strictly necessary.

thanks