Tell me about KXStudio......

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

59Panhead
Established Member

Tell me about KXStudio......

Post by 59Panhead »

I downloaded the ISO file from the KXStudio site, and imaged it to a DVD. Being a total novice in any form of Linux, and Fedora being the one that I've chosen, is this piece of software something that I can install as an app on my Fedora 22? Or, must it be a stand-alone OS?

I've become some disenchanted with anything Microsoft, but must use it for work and home. But, I have dedicated a computer for just Fedora, and find that I rarely even want to get on the Windows machine. However, I want to stay within the Fedora environment, and can see no way to install KXStudio as an app. I have another topic on my Akai EIE, that I want to try this software on, once I get the two working together.

I made a search under this forum, and didn't see a discussion as to whether it could be run as an app. Thanks for all help.

Jack
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Re: Tell me about KXStudio......

Post by Scary Hallo »

I think you should see KXStudio as an addon to an Ubunut-Distro. I don't think it will work in fedora. The iso is a KDE-Ubunut with all KXStudio-Repos already installed.

The big, big advantage with KXStudio is, once you have installed it, you can start making music imediateliy.

I think KXStudio rocks!
:D
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Keeping separate linux varieties on different external usb drives, is the safest way to learn
linux audio. Bootable 'live' dvds/cds like avlinux, ubuntu studio, kx studio,
which are using debian packages, can fill a niche for testing, that run in ram,
and won't harm your existing hard-disk goto setup.

Many computers have an 'early boot menu', accessed by a function key, flashed
on screen when booting. You can boot from external drives, or dvd/cd.
If you install kx studio, on an external drive,
you can start the computer from that drive, and access the kx repository
by the synaptic package manager.
(synaptic details are in a simple google/youtube search)
and soon have a powerful virtual studio.

I would check out ccrma, a repository for fedora based musicians
that will supply a lot of audio software, and an excellent kernel.

Test some bootable live dvds thoroughly, so you can get real comfortable
with the basic i/o, connections, instruments, daws, plugins,
and do some recording as you go.

Rushing in is an easy invitation to frustration and premature grey hair,
which may be fine for George Clooney, but... :(

Most linux audio system components will be available for Fedora, which uses rpm packages,
instead of debian packages. If something you want or need that is not a system app,
perhaps a new plugin, instrument, or a daw, you can search for
rpms from other distros, at http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

and use them with cautions, keeping notes what you manually install.

In Linux, you often can choose both, and more, and survive by not using
your main computer for experiments.
Cheers
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

Scary Hallo wrote:I think you should see KXStudio as an addon to an Ubunut-Distro. I don't think it will work in fedora. The iso is a KDE-Ubunut with all KXStudio-Repos already installed.
I have it installed on a memory stick, so I can use it from there. I'll be awhile getting the terminology down. But, this is the kind of information to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Jack
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

glowrak guy wrote: Keeping separate linux varieties on different external usb drives, is the safest way to learn
linux audio.

I would check out ccrma, a repository for fedora based musicians
that will supply a lot of audio software, and an excellent kernel.

Test some bootable live dvds thoroughly, so you can get real comfortable
with the basic i/o, connections, instruments, daws, plugins,
and do some recording as you go.

you can search for rpms from other distros, at http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/
and use them with cautions, keeping notes what you manually install.

In Linux, you often can choose both, and more, and survive by not using
your main computer for experiments.
A good while back, I made the decision to have a computer just for occasions like this. With external docking stations for swapping hard drives. This particular one has never had Windows near it, and will remain so. I have Fedora 22 installed on a standard hard drive.

I have another drive with basically the same setup, to be portable, and for use on a personal machine that I have at work. It is my tie to the outside world, and off the company network.

And, I have a third SS hard drive that will take the place of a Win7 drive that I had in it. It has Fedora 23. I'm thinking that I should stay at lease one version behind, and should have gone with 22 on it, as well. Man, does the SS drive boot fast. I can see more of those in my future. It will be the machine for music and experimentation. It's out in my shop, where I can get away from distractions.

Anyway, your response and that of Scary Hallo will get me started in the right direction. I'll post my how things go. Thanks a bunch. Have a good one.

Jack