[Resolved] KXstudio freezes completely since recently

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

chtfn
Established Member

[Resolved] KXstudio freezes completely since recently

Post by chtfn »

Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone was witnessing this behaviour too:

I just recently (since about 4 days ago) started seeing complete system freezes, with mouse frozen and keyboard not responding (no way to invoke a terminal or REISUB the system) and screen not refreshing (clock does not refresh). The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't know what triggers that, so far it's only been happening when using the system normally, usually with Firefox open and maybe a file manage, LibreOffice... It probably happened to me about 4 times but it seems like a pretty serious issue. (I can't imagine this happening in the middle of a DJ set or something...)

I am using KXstudio 14.04 64bits (entire OS), installed clean a few months ago, with minor modifications. I can't think of anything major I have done to make my system less stable... I do upgrade every couple of days though, so it might have been an update that brought this?

Cheers!
Last edited by chtfn on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
chtfn
Established Member

Re: KXstudio freezes completely since recently

Post by chtfn »

Thanks falk, I am currently using the 3.13.0-54-lowlatency version and will try and go back to the previous one if this happens again. I will post here if I find out anything else about it.

Cheers
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

It seems the issue is linked to the use of my external sound card... I spent days without a problem, using the laptop on its own, but as soon as I went back to using my controller's soundcard (in a Hercules RMX), it froze again after a while...

I will see if it happens with a different external soundcard.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

This is why i want install 14.04

Ive tested several kernels on my 12.04 kx studio install and anything past 3.12 causes the same thing. Complete system lockup a few minutes after logging in.

14.04 comes default with 3.13 kernel.

I installed 14.04 on my laptop which is an intel processor (desktop is amd)

it had issues with the 3.13 kernel but was fine with 3.16 kernel . Thought i could just install the 3.08 kernel which works just fine. Nope its not in the repos.
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

I haven't run into the issue in a few days now, I keep updating very frequently. My current 'uname -a' output is as follows:

Code: Select all

3.13.0-57-lowlatency #95-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 19 09:45:24 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Bazsound, does this still happen to you with the up-to-date 3.13 kernel?
chtfn
Established Member

Re: [Resolved] KXstudio freezes completely since recently

Post by chtfn »

I changed the title to "Resolved" as it hasn't happened in a while, even though I am not sure how it got fixed.