Send audio from jack capture to Also - REW

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bazsound
Established Member

Send audio from jack capture to Also - REW

Post by bazsound »

Ive been trying to do this for ages with no success.

I need to send audio from jack ports (midas m32 desk which has 32 ins / outs) to alsa for Room EQ Wizard. REW uses java sound so no jack support.

Ive read others have done it, but it doesnt seemt o work in KX studio.

alsa sound works the other way round fine.

Ive routed the correct jack captures ports, they show signal into plugins i route them in so they are definatly working, but if i route capture 7/8 (signal i want) to jackalsa i catia no signal comes into Room EQ wizard.

Any ideas?
bazsound
Established Member

Re: Send audio from jack capture to Also - REW

Post by bazsound »

Just to check its not an REW issue. I tried audicaity set to alsa.

Same thing cant get any input from jack capture into also no matter which of the many interfaces are listed for alsa (loopback should be the right ones though there are quite a few)
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

No one ones how to take audio from jack and route it to an alsa program? we can route audio from also playback to jack, .

In catia (or other patchbays) theres alsatojack, which is for alsa audio playback through jack connected to playback ports, then there is jacktoalso connected to capture but no audio is getting there
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

I got a little further.

if i stop jack, i can then get sound into alsa programs. it seems that loopback is not working at all for getting jack capture to alsa capture.

so now that i know i can stop jack and have alsa work for alsa programs, how do i change to using a usb interface with alsa. I was getting input through my internal soundcards mic and line inputs but i want to use inputs from a midas m32 32 channel usb interface.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Same here.
With jack i have no signal (in/out) at capture 7/8.
With ALSA (hdspmixer) everything is fine/work.

A Gentoo DAW with
3.18.11-rt-rt7 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT
media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.29
media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit-2.9999
/proc/asound/cards: HDSPM - RME AIO_5df461
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

I sacked the idea of getting it working.

but discovered that if i stop jack, the interface becomes availible in REW. which is actually more ideal than running the alsa jack layer.

Was able to get output and input from REW. the only limitation was that there was only the first 2 ports out of the 32 availible, this might be a java sound limitation though. Only options shown in REW is left or right input. Which is fine as you only need 1 input for measurements.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

maybe you could use route the jack output to a pulseaudio loopback sink and then send that to your program?
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

tatch wrote:maybe you could use route the jack output to a pulseaudio loopback sink and then send that to your program?
this sounds like a recipie for distaster.

system analisis is really sensitive to stuff that mess with the signal, delay for one can mess things up.

the alsajack bridge also has some impact on the quality of the signal.

Best just not use jack and use alsa directly
miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

The main feature of duesn.com/blog/midas-m32-review X32/M32 models is that there are not one, but two switches on the signal path to the physical output of the mixer. Jack requires that you configure the server to determine the minimum processing delay. If you use one sound application that can directly connect to ALSA, then adding Pulse or Jack will not reduce the delay in perception.