[solved] Mint 17.1/Mate Cadence failure since re-install

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

[solved] Mint 17.1/Mate Cadence failure since re-install

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Well, it's a long time since I've had any problems to post here, but all good things come to an end :)

TL;DR Solved by update to dbus.

I installed Linux Mint 17.1 on a spare partition. It was supposed to be a test adventure, but everything, including Compiz and even Emerald, was working well, and I decided to make the move from Ubuntu 12.04 and load this as my everyday system. Needless to say, Cadence, etc, was working fine.

After the desktop collapse on Sunday (19 April 15) and loading updates, for some reason my system was a mess, and a clean reinstall seemed the best approach.

I have done that, but now cadence is dead.

Suspecting that the answer might be obvious to someone who is not me, here is detail...

extract from .xsession-errors...

Code: Select all

(mintUpdate.py:2615): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <sign
al>.

(mintUpdate.py:2615): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <sign
al>.

al>.

al>.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence_session_start.py", line 221, in <module>
    sys.exit(startSession(True))
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence_session_start.py", line 103, in startSess
ion
    startJack()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence_session_start.py", line 134, in startJack
    DBus.jack.StartServer()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_bl
ocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not recei
ve a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply
, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, 
or the network connection was broken.
sys:1: Warning: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.2/./gobject/gsignal.c:2580: instance 
'0x94487d0' has no handler with id '6878'
'0xb4c00ea0' has no handler with id '5671'
'0x948d5a0' has no handler with id '5657'
'0x948eaa0' has no handler with id '5664'
'0x9a09ab0' has no handler with id '7600'
'0x99a49b0' has no handler with id '7607'

Terminal output from Cadence command...

Code: Select all

$ cadence
Using Tray Engine 'Qt'
"sni-qt/2725" WARN  14:56:27.732 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE 
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.15:/org/jackaudio/Controller: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 2314, in <module>
    gui = CadenceMainW()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 1194, in __init__
    self.DBusReconnect()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 1216, in DBusReconnect
    if gDBus.jack.IsStarted():
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Any answers or suggestions?

EDIT... Whoa... I loaded an update to dbus, and cadence is running

Additional info: the mint update gui "grades" available updates, and does not automatically apply what it considers as "level 4 or 5," which, according to the Mint people might be untested or dodgy.

Also... Another confirmation of my long-held theory that, after asking for help, the answer turns up anyway!