Fedora Support

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

daggaz
Established Member

Fedora Support

Post by daggaz »

Hi!

I have been using Elementary OS (Ubuntu 12.04 & 14.04) + KXStudio for some time, and generally it works great :D Installing the KXStudio repos and packages was very simple, and almost everything was working smooth, fast and nice (better than in Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Debian) until relatively recently... As the development of EOS is very (veeeeery) slow, it has become almost obsolete and uncompatible with a lot of new softwate and hardware (since Ubuntu, the base OS, is updated and evolving much more faster).

I don't want to go back to Ubuntu, because it is very unstable to me, and the general user experience do not like me very much.
In the other side, Debian and Arch requires too much time and energy to get the system the way I like (including all the hardware tunning)... And Linux Mint seemed like a good option, but there are a couple of bugs that have been resolved for years and that makes me very annoying to use.

That's why I'm thinking to go back to Fedora (my second or third distro back in 2004, or something like that), but using the equivalent of Linux Mint is to Ubuntu (saving some time and energy tweaking the system). In this case, it is a distribution named Korora, which I have heard very good reviews (https://kororaproject.org).
The big problem I see, is that I understand that Fedora is not officially supported by KXStudio, is that correct?

What advise can you giveme? Do you know another distro that it's easy, compatible, elegant, good looking, fast and stable? (I really like the Gnome3, Pantheon and Cinnamon graphical shells).

Thank You!

PS: Sorry if my english is not perfect :/
luciorgomes
Established Member

Re: Fedora Support

Post by luciorgomes »

incompatible. Fedora uses .rpm format instead of .deb from Debian/Ubuntu/Kxstudio.
daggaz
Established Member

Post by daggaz »

:'-(
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

daggaz wrote:Hi!
What advise can you giveme?.
alien is a utility that does a good job converting .deb to .rpm

install it with yum, synaptic, or other package manager. Example use,
place .deb file in /home/you, become root user, then

alien -r rakarrack_0.6.1-4_i386.deb

creates

rakarrack-0.6.1-4.i386.rpm

If more files are needed as dependencies, it will fail, and you will be prompted with the list
of needed files, some of which may have their own secondary list to fulfill, to do a proper install.
You can often find them here:

https://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/

click the desired app in the list, and dependencies will be listed, with download links
to the various available formats and download mirrors. It can be tedious, but rewarding.
Even bitwig installer can be converted. When all the needed files are in a folder, make a text file
of their names, paste in a root terminal

rpm -i list-of-rpm-files

Utilizing CCRMA repository for fedora core audio files will drag in a lot of the dependencies,
minimizing the items required from debian/ubuntu territory.
Cheers
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

I've been using Fedora with the CCRMA stuff for awhile. There is also the "Fedora Jamz" stuff or whatever they call it now. Generally those repos have had everything I've needed but on the off chance I want something slightly newer than what's available I'll just build from source and install in /usr/local. I can honestly say that in the 18 years I've been using Linux (a RedHat user since day one) I've never had to convert a .deb package to .rpm.
daggaz
Established Member

Post by daggaz »

A lot of people have been telling me, that I should go for Arch Linux instead of Fedora. So i'm thinking to try Manjaro the next weekend, and see what happens.