Windows VST2/3 plugins in Carla (revisited)

Official support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: falkTX, khz, MattKingUSA

Blindekinder
Establlshed Member

Re: Windows VST2/3 plugins in Carla (revisited)

Postby Blindekinder » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 am

Hi!
doesn't work for me. While scanning, it opens many Wine windows saying "cant load '...' module" but also have some Acousmodules in the directory. No bridged plugins are load. I need this one.
running on KX 14.04 up do date, wine 1.6.2.
KX on (K)Ubuntu 14.04 - RME Multiface - Jack2

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Does it work on other hosts, like reaper?

Blindekinder
Establlshed Member

Postby Blindekinder » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 pm

yes, with reaper it seems to work (UI load...)

Gps
Establlshed Member

Postby Gps » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 pm

sadko4u wrote:
falkTX wrote:The source is the same, just built with a different compiler (mingw) and winegcc to handle the bridge.
See the ArchLinux PKGBUILD for more details:
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ ... -win32-git

Does openSUSE provide wine and mingw?

openSUSE has wine in it's distribution but MinGW, i think, should be installed separately under wine.
So, do I right understand that after I build it under Wine+Mingw, I can connect it to JACK?

Does this help ?

https://software.opensuse.org/package/mingw32-cross-gcc

Blindekinder
Establlshed Member

Postby Blindekinder » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 am

do I have to compile the bridge with mingw? I don't know how to do that... There are more than 20 mingw packages in the repositories.
edit: I installed gcc-mingw, i will install carla-bridges sources packages, but then can you help me?

thomble

Postby thomble » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:13 am

Hi there,
I'm having a problem getting carla to find windows VST plugins. On a previous install of ubuntu with kxstudio, when I went to refresh the plugins in carla I had the option of checking for windows plugins (this was probably a month or so ago). On my fresh install those checkboxes seems to be missing from that dialog, and when I scan for new plugins my windows VST isn't found.

I have carla-git carla-bridge-wine64 carla-bridge-win64 carla-bridge-win32 carla-bridge-wine32 installed from the kxstudio repositories.
I'm running wine-rt, version 2.0.1. Carla reports itself as version 1.9.7 (2.0-beta5).

If I run carla-single from the command line, I can get the windows VST I have installed to run, using the following command

Code: Select all

carla-single win64 vst /home/tomb/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/VstPlugins/SsdSampler.dll

Have I missed something that enables carla to scan for windows plugins?

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 am

thomble wrote:Have I missed something that enables carla to scan for windows plugins?

Yes, you missed the latest news. http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/News/?ac ... lugin-host
(also discussed in this very forum as well)

Basically now you need to go to settings, enable experimental, then enable bridges and wine bridges.

thomble

Postby thomble » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:05 pm

falkTX wrote:Yes, you missed the latest news.

Thank you! Sorry I didn't find that. I spent a few hours googling and even read through this thread, but didn't find that information.

So I have Steven Slate Drums 4 working through carla. I've only spent about 5min with it so far, but everything appears to be working well. Thanks again!

darkkhaine

Postby darkkhaine » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi

I have a problem with Carla, it doesn't display the few vst i have installed in /.vst folder, i did enable the experimental and bridges before doing a scan. Any ideas what can be causing this ? i'm using carla V1.9.7 (2.0-beta5).

stanlea
Establlshed Member

Postby stanlea » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 am

Did you set correctly the paths in Carla ? If you don't specify ~/.vst in the pathlist, Carla won't look in this folder. And normally .vst is for native vst, not for windows ones. It's better not to put windows and native linux together.

darkkhaine

Postby darkkhaine » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Yes, the /.vst path is added. When i press the scan button, i can see that the dll files from this folder are scanned, but the plugin are not added after.

Taika-Kim
Establlshed Member

Postby Taika-Kim » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 pm

I have the same problem with Windows VSTs not showing up in the list, in logs I can see:
"env: ‘/usr/bin’: Permission denied" several times, I guess when Carla was trying to execute Wine. I'm quite new to Linux, I'm not sure what permissions to set since the user already has permission to use /usr/bin.

I will try to figure this out and edit this post as I progress...

protozone
Establlshed Member

Synaptic's hidden menus for Carla's Win32 VSTs

Postby protozone » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm

If anybody is still having trouble with Carla finding Windows 32-bit VST's, these four tips might help a bit...

First, read this forum discussion... there's a lot of stuff in the preceding posts.

Secondly, in synaptic, do a keyword search for Carla, then check the list to see what is installed.
For each listed entry of the results, there is a hidden drop-down menu to show the thing that's sorta like "--install-recommends" (recommended) additional installation options. What this means is that there are other files that need to be downloaded perhaps, but to apt, they aren't mandatory, but some of them are for Carla! Be sure to "Apply" the changes to initiate the downloads.

On my system, by fiddling with this, I was able to get the missing software parts needed to scan for Windows 32-bit VST's.

Third, each VST needs to be pointed to specifically almost. That is, the VST's can't be found if the folders are nested. This is a pain, but good to know.

Fourth, as a workaround, you could create a specific folder for Carla's Win32 VST's via Thunar or whatever your desktop manager is. Then, copy every *.DLL of the VST type you need there along with their accompanying stuff. It's labor intensive, but it could help perhaps. Then point Carla to that main directory and scan it. Know what I mean?

I hope this helps. It's hard to describe.

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm

FYI you dont really need to scan for Windows VST plugins.
You can just drag&drop the dlls into Carla's Rack area. ;)

Return to “KXStudio Discussion”