Call for Testing: KXStudio 14.04.1 ISOs

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thetotalchaos
Established Member

Re: Call for Testing: KXStudio 14.04.1 ISOs

Post by thetotalchaos »

@unfa

I just re-install KXStudio (KXStudio_14.04.1g_64bit), My motherboard is UEFI too. Both normal and secure boot installations were successful. I used automatic partitioning on a SSD drive after i flush the drive and made a fresh GPT partition table.

PS: Generally the package responsible for (v)fat manipulation is dosfstools.
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

falkTX wrote:Ok, another ISO:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kxstudi ... o/download
md5sum is bc901b898109a55e26a82e912f38b8d810c1e681

btw, I know about sourceforge shady practices.
hopefully some time later I'll move to another domain.
I'm seriously hoping sourceforge doens't go all crazy... :evil:
I downloaded multiple times and was driving myself crazy until I checked with Sourceforge. That hash above isn't the md5sum, it's the sha1 the md5sum is 6dc813c857b19a51490f76d7c664ed4e
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
unfa
Established Member

Post by unfa »

Ok, I installed again using the newer "g" version of the DVD (I previously used "f") and I made sure I have Internet connection during the installation. It installed fine, all seems to work well, apart from few issues:

1. Backlight Brighntess (wasn't a problem in Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 15.05)

System can't change backlight brightness. (it tries to but it's still 100%). Also it seems to not react to Fn+F11 and Fn+F12 keys used for backlight control on this laptop (Dell Latitude 3550).

I can manually change brightness:

Code: Select all

/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight# echo 300 > brightness
The system however seems to react to the brightness values I put there, maybe its's an issue with permissions?

Code: Select all

root@unfa-Latitude-3550:/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight# ls -o brightness 
-rw-r--r-- 1 root 4096 cze 20 18:14 brightness
2. Sticky keys (was a problem in Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 15.05)

When I type, sometimes a random key will behave like I never released it. It keepssssssssssssss (yeah, that just happened right there) being active until I press something else.
This even once happened with left mouse button. I moved mouse around the screen and it was clicking. I think it's an Xserver issue, but I don't know how to deal with iiiiiiit (again). I used Ubuntu 15.04 and the issue wassssssssssssssssssssssssssss hardly a problem there, but as you can see it's very frequent right here. I'm all upgraded as for 2015-06-20. (Oh, I just got a mouse button to stick again). Do you know what can I do with this?

3. Intel used as default GPU (wasn't a problem in Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 15.05)

This laptop is Optimus-enabled, so it has 2 GPUs (Intel nd nVidia) by 3D performance I can see that Intel is being used.

I can't find the X server configuration files in /etc/X11/. Ubuntu had a nice set of config files like "xorg.conf-failsafe" (using vesa driver) that one could read and use for reference or just copy in the place of main xorg.conf.

4. Synaptic plain GTK look (wasn't a problem in Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 15.05)

Synaptic uses a different GUI theme than the entire system (no KDE look)

5. Xapaian index (was a problem in Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 15.05)
Synaptic's quick filter didn't work at first. In Ubuntu I needed to reinastall and reconfigure synaptic package, in KX Studio it has solved itself.
unfa
Established Member

Post by unfa »

Ok, I'll seek for solutions for 1-3 elsewhere.

As for 4: I run kxstudio-apply-root (it asked for password and didn't say a thing so I guess it worked) but Synaptic's look differs still. I have run Dolphin as root before and it matched the theme, so it might be something else. It's not a big deal really, just an aesthetic issue.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

falkTX wrote:New ISO is up.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kxstudi ... o/download
md5sum is a252b7878edf4f6fdfea4846b2320803

I've updated the networkmanager widget thing, so now it finally remembers wireless passwords.
The Claudia-Launcher app list was updated, only a few minor things left.

This is getting very very close to release.
I previously couldn't get the KDE one to work and had to install a GNOME-based network widget thing. Does this mean that I can update my system and successfully get the KDE one to work again?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

Hi falk
I get a "500 Internal Server Error" when clicking your link (or when trying to download it from the Sourceforge page).
svoufff
Established Member

Post by svoufff »

Hi, I installed the "i" iso without problem on a clevo notebook (uefi mode for win, nux, installer, and a uefi boot partition).
I choosed a manual setup of partitions during installation and directed the boot loader to install on the shared uefi boot partition.No breakage of other systems already in place.Neat.
Thanks for all the work falktx and all contibutors :D

The only obstacle so far is the nvidia card (gtx 965m) which can't be used in place of the intel graphic chip, even after installing the driver via xorg-edgers' ppa and prime.
Hanging in the dark world of optimus in linux for now...
pitorescu

Post by pitorescu »

Great work on this, the live iso is as fast and snappy as your usb drive, my only problem is that the installer crashes in both live and installer mode on different computers, its kind of giving me a hassle, saw that someone had this problem on the initial 14.04.1 release, but since im using the latest...
maxxpaul
Established Member

Post by maxxpaul »

Hi, I think a I'm a little late to the party.
Is this the proper place to ask something / post feedback about KXStudio 14.04.2 Live-DVD - 64bit too ?
If yes, here it is.
I am trying to test KXstudio from a 30mb/s USB2 thumb drive.
Fist the good part:
I wrote the iso + (i think) a 1GB save partition (that was I think in unetbootin), booted fine, quite fast, recognized network.
It really looks nice boots fast and generally seems fast and responsive.

But:
1. At 1st boot resolution wrong, I couldn't see the lower panel (taskbar-like) - it was outside's the real display's area, like the OS was using a higher resolution and I was vieweng only a viewport. OR like it was extended on my 2nd display ? Managed to right click, search, display - > adjusted ok (I don't remember what have I changed - resolution or multi-display configuration). Mt 2ns display (a 42" flatscreen) was OFF but connected to HDMI. My main display is an LCD monitor, connected to DVI, 1366x768 and usually is recognized by windows as being 2nd (because HDMI is first).
My video is onboard i3-4170 + z97 chipset (Asrock Z97 Pro 3). 8 GB ram.
2. After a few subsequent boots the lower panel suddenly was irresponsive, gray/dimmed. After messing around with it, i deleted it, recreated it, than I thought it was fine.
3. The next reboot I only saw the wallpaper. No panel/taskbar, no right click menu, no Alt-F2 (IIRC I read somewhere that Alt-F2 would allow me to open a term windows).

My question: Can I salvage this live image somehow, is there something I could do if the system boots to a blank screen with only wallpaper? or do I need to re-write the iso from sctatch? I mention that between all these reboots, I also installed a PCI s/c based on CMI8737 PCI which was not physically in the PC at first. Maybe this is what caused the problem? It shouldn't I guess.

Also, does KXStudio fully support CMI8737 PCI sound cards out of the box, including MIDI/gameport (well especially MIDI/Gameport, actually) if somebody know for sure? I don't mind to test, I was just curios (buy if I'm I told it doesn't I might think to try a different version or other distro first).
Thanks!
i5-3570k, Asrock Z97 Pro3, 8GB RAM
snd: @PCI CMI8738 +15-pin MIDI + TerraTec keyboard / @m/b Realtek ALC892 Audio
gpu: Radeon HD5670 1920p@HDMI, 1366x760@DVI / Intel HD (disabled)
hdd: sda1 ntfs Win7, sda2 ext4 KXStudio, sda3 swap, sdb ntfs, sdc ntfs