Can't get KXStudio to boot

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kegek
Established Member

Can't get KXStudio to boot

Post by Kegek »

Things I tried:
dd if=Downloads/KXStudio_14.04b_64bit.iso of=/dev/sdb
dd if=Downloads/KXStudio_14.04b_64bit.iso of=/dev/sdb1
These two don't do anything and just skip to the bootloader on my main harddrive
I also tried installing through unetbootin but when I try to boot kxstudio it just gives me a blinking cursor on a black screen.
I've verified that the md5sum of the ISO is correct.
I'm not using secure boot.
I don't have this problem with any other distribution (at least I never had. It's been a while since I booted a live cd though, but nothing should have changed). I've also used KXStudio before and it worked back then.
Kegek
Established Member

Re: Can't get KXStudio to boot

Post by Kegek »

I use Arch, but there seems to be an AUR package for that. Will try it out after I'm finished doing what I'm doing and report here.
EDIT: You got anything else? This package is bugged to all hell and back, among others:
* Will get stuck on 99% when creating persistence
* Exiting it while it's creating persistence will leave the USB in use by an unkillable process (even when using -9), making it unusable
* It will run as a normal user, but crash horribly when you try to make the actual live usb, and thus it only works as root
Last edited by Kegek on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kegek
Established Member

Post by Kegek »

Well, by turning persistence off I managed to get it to boot...
It gave an error about not being able to load some file (I don't recall which file, should've written it down) and let me to a boot: prompt.
Pressing tab revealed that I had the choice between "live", "hd", "mainmenu" and "help".
Entering "mainmenu" gave an error, entering "hd" caused the bootloader on my harddrive to boot. Entering "live" probably should have launched the live cd, but instead lead me to a busybox shell and some error about some directory not existing (I don't remember what directory exactly). Creating that directory and then retrying caused a kernel panic.

I'll go through the whole process again and write everything down if I have to, but I suspec tthis is a usb-creator bug rather than a KXStudio bug, because I assume you've tested the KXStudio ISO before shipping it.
It's rare that one encounters a package this buggy.

EDIT: there's also an aur package called "liveusb-creator-git". It has a broken dependency but I think I fixed it, give me a while to test it.
EDIT2: well I got it to install, but it crashes, so this is not an option either.

You got any other ideas? This seems like an awful lot of work just to run an ubuntu live cd...
Kegek
Established Member

Post by Kegek »

I guess I'll wait until the next release comes out
Thanks for your help!
EDIT: Another thing I'll try later today is boot an ubuntu live CD, then use the usb-creator tool you said worked.
Kegek
Established Member

Post by Kegek »

Ok, I've made a live cd on an ubuntu installation with the tool you told me.
And it boots. It gives me a screen with an option to boot the live cd or boot from my harddrive.
However, upon picking the first option, I get the following:

BusyBox V1.2.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.21.0-1ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Invalid argument
Can not mount /dev/loop0 (cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Pressing enter gives an (initramfs) shell prompt.
I copied all this by hand so it might be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure I copied everything correctly.

No offense, but do you even test these live dvds before you ship them? I'm not one to complain but first of all the official installation instructions don't work, and the fix you suggest doesn't work either.
Kegek
Established Member

Post by Kegek »

Problem is, I don't have a disk drive on this PC. There's very few things that still use CDs or DVDs these days, after all.
Oh well, I guess I'll wait for the next release and hope it's fixed then.
Kegek
Established Member

Post by Kegek »

Testing a few other things now.
Running isohybrid over the ISO file, then installing it with unetbootin gives the same result as using usb-creator. Before running isohybrid it just booted to a blinking cursor, so that's an improvement.
Now I'm gonna redownload the iso file - the checksum was correct, but maybe somehow this magically fixes things anyways. If this doesn't work, I'll instead try the 32bit iso, maybe that one works.
EDIT: yeah, none of that worked either
Kegek
Established Member

Post by Kegek »

I FIXED IT
FINALLY
The trick is to run

Code: Select all

isohybrid path/to/KXStudio.iso
and then to just run

Code: Select all

dd if=path/to/KXStudio.iso of=/dev/sdX
The usb will be bootable and everything will work.

So basically, just make your iso's hybrid next time, and then people can just dd them onto their USBs and everything will work

But it's almost 2AM so I'm going to bed, see ya
Kegek
Established Member

Post by Kegek »

OK, I have located a flaw in my way to create bootable USB's: they're only bootable once
That means, every time after you boot the live USB, you have to write the ISO to the USB all over again or it won't boot.
I have absolutely no idea what is causing this.
Musick
Established Member

Post by Musick »

Just a question: when you tried with unetbootin, which option did you select in the boot menu? Don't know how many were there but basically the Default one is not working, you have to select KXStudio.
I know this issue and it's not falkTX's fault, it's ubuntu itself that is having a problem. Suggesting to default your bios settings will be a stupid advice from me. Formating the hard drive will work, but you said that you don't have one, so I don't know what to say more. Maybe try different grub settings (using unetbootin), when you boot it, before you select KXStudio press "e" and edit it as you wish - some people change the "ro" option to "rw" and say it's working (well, if you see such thing at all, as I don't have a copy now to see if there is).
mojosol

Post by mojosol »

for what its worth just to confirm. I had troubles with dd and kxstudio 14.0b and ran isohybrid kxstudio.iso and then dd if=kxstudio.iso of=/dev/sdb and everything worked great. thanks for helping out with some of the more technical stuff we musicians tend to overlook or take for granted. Let's keep it going man! :D
Samansaw
Established Member

Post by Samansaw »

Just a question: when you tried with unetbootin, which option did you select in the boot menu? Don't know how many were there but basically the Default one is not working
hi there,
I'm having the same issue!
I just downloaded kxstudio and tried via USBLoader /unetbootin and I've got problem like:
USBLoader:
"Can't find configuration file"
unetbootin:
"Missing or corrupted image/kernel"
"no bootable device"
or the blinking _ like Kegek

by the way I haven't a linux distro installed on my laptop.
Should I install a linux distro first, then upgrade to kxstudio?
if yes, can i go for Ubuntu/kxstudio instead of Ubuntu Studio/kxstudio (since my pen drive is just 2gb and ubS is 2,5gb) and have the same features of Ubuntu Studio with no additional downloads?
sorry for my english :wink:

P.S. my laptop is an Hp Pavillion p030nl with Win 8
Taika-Kim
Established Member

Post by Taika-Kim »

I downloaded the 64 bit live DVD ISO from KXstudio site, and burned the ISO with unetbootin as per instructions.

I get the bootmgr is missing error. The drive is a Verbatim Store'n'Go 16gb. I have WIN 7 64 where I did the burning of the ISO from.
Taika-Kim
Established Member

Post by Taika-Kim »

I had a problem with the bootmgr not found error when I created the USB with the tool linked in the Kxstudio documentation on the site. I used another tool, and it was fine. I think unetbootin does not format the drive correctly before burning the iso.
robertmc
Established Member

Post by robertmc »

The Live CD boots and runs...but with the KXStudio_14.4.2.iso I have tried everything so far (yes, the checksum passed):

1. Install from CD.
- installer appears to stop after copying
- mouse can still move
- gives blinking cursor on reboot

2. Install from CD #2.
- re-burned another disc
- mouse can still move

3. Install after booting from Live CD.
- same symptoms as above

4. Install from USB
- isohybrid command
- dd's the image to drive
- can't install because the USB won't boot (gives squashfs errors)

5. Install from USB
- reformatted USB drive to Fat32
- isohybrid command
- dd's the image to drive

6. Install from USB
- used UNETBOOTIN

7. Install from CD.
- booted in AVLinux
- reformatted the destination drive to FAT32 with GPARTED
- restarted and inserted KXStudio Live CD
- mouse can still move

I have tried I think every solution I've come accross except a 64bit iso. However, the UbuntuStudio and AVLinux both were able to install as 32 bit. Please point it out if I'm missing something.

I could install UbuntuStudio and upgrade but the reason I'm so motivated to avoid this: I do not have internet more than a phone tether in the studio!
Last edited by robertmc on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.