Using Carla in windows 7 64

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

marce
Established Member

Using Carla in windows 7 64

Post by marce »

Hi. I have been testing Carla and it family in an old XP box. Nice! But i cant make it to work in at all in Windows 7 64. It dont see Jack, says it´s broken. I downloaded a b3 i found in the forum, but no luck. I tried with jack32 and jack64

Any tip?
tangerine
Established Member

Re: Using Carla in windows 7 64

Post by tangerine »

I did a quick test on my system (Win7 64-bit with Jack and qjackctl, I think I compiled jack from source some time ago, but this probably doesn't matter), with following results:
- carla beta2 32-bit finds both "normal" jack driver and asio jack driver, as well as the regular asio driver for my device
- carla beta2 64-bit doesn't find any jack driver, but finds the regular asio driver (but not the jack asio driver)
- the "test" carla beta3 64-bit finds the "normal" jack driver, but doesn't find the asio jack driver, while finding the non-jack asio driver

The "test" version which I tried with the "normal" jack driver successfully connected to jack and the patchbay worked as expected, creating the appropriate connections from jack to the plugin and to jack output port.

To the OP:
Make sure you downloaded jack from their official download location:
http://jackaudio.org/downloads/

Make sure your Jack is working. Don't use the 32-bit version, only use the 64-bit version for 64-bit Windows. In qjackctl (Jack Control), choose "portaudio" for the driver, Duplex for "Audio", and choose your device's asio driver for Input and Output Device. Then start jack and watch for output messages. Try using another software with Jack asio driver for control.
Last edited by tangerine on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tangerine
Established Member

Post by tangerine »

Ah, looks like when running Carla (any version) as administrator in windows 7 64-bit, it can not connect to Jack. Maybe this is the issue the OP is experiencing?
Also the 32-bit version crashes on attempt to load any plugin at all, including internal plugins (I only tested in "single client" mode), while the newer 64-bit version loads all of them fine. I'm not reporting it on github, as I didn't perform a thorough testing.
marce
Established Member

Post by marce »

I have no luck. MuseScore can see without problem Jack.
But,
Carla2 64 b2: It dont see jack.
Carla 1.24, Carla2 32 and 64 b3: They see Jack but when i select it as engine i get

"Could not connect to Audio backend "Jack", possible reasons: Failed to create new JACK client"
tangerine
Established Member

Post by tangerine »

Based on my testing, I would suggest to concentrate on Carla 64-bit beta3.
Not sure following can help, but you might want to try, after selecting jack in Carla, to stop Carla's own internal engine and then to start it again.
Also make sure you are not running Carla as administrator and maybe check that UAC is not disabled on your machine.
Maybe worth to try reinstalling jack from the official release page.
If all of that doesn't help, my best advice is to file a bug report.
tangerine
Established Member

Post by tangerine »

If you post a screenshot of your jack's settings, I can take a look, maybe there is a problem there.
marce
Established Member

Post by marce »

Hi, Thanks for the help. Here is an screenshot. You can see MuseScore running ok with Jack, and the Carla error message after i select "Start engine".
A thing i didnt say previously, is that after i select "Jack" Carla dont allow me to configure it with the button that is at the right of it.
Attachments
Carla-problem.jpg
Carla-problem.jpg (238.88 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
tangerine
Established Member

Post by tangerine »

Your jack settings look good. Unfortunately, I can't think of any other fix right now.
Maybe file a bug report and try a different software in the meanwhile. There is this freeware app with the catchy name "vsthost", it's a little buggy but working.
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Or it's little sister, "savihost". One interesting way to go might be getting the freeware hosting plugins from Studio Units and then wrapping them inside savihost, so you get the ultimate minimalistic vst host.

Reaper is less minimalistic, but it can work pretty well as a vst host. Sometes it has some issues with latency compensation in this setup, so after adding and setting up your plugins, start and stop playback to make it recalculate the latencies.
marce
Established Member

Post by marce »

Thanks tangerine! Im not needing a host really, just wanting to use musescore with jack ,and the samplers inside Carla, but i will wait it become more stable. Thanks again!
tangerine
Established Member

Post by tangerine »

Cool then. Anyway, on windows in order to use jack, you don't need a jack-aware app, any asio-capable app should do, as jack has asio connectivity.
marce
Established Member

Post by marce »

Interesting, that Carla also dont list Jack as an ASIO driver. It is listed by Podium free and other ASIO apps, but Carla b3 dont see it