KXS 12.04 or 14.04?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

leokin
Established Member

KXS 12.04 or 14.04?

Post by leokin »

I'm running KXStudio 12.04 64 bit.
I'm not quite sure the right (safe) way to run updates/ upgrades. I use Synaptic instead of Muon because that is what I'm used to (Synaptic) while using Ubuntu the past couple years.
I get emails from SourceForge.net reminding me of "new updates/upgrades" a few times monthly.
I never get the popup messages I'm used to getting on my regular UbuntuStudio (12.04.4 LTS, 3.2.0-67-lowlatency, XFCE 4) whenever I bootup KXStudio.
So, without really understanding what is best, when I'm using KXS, about once a week, I run Synaptic, and click reload, but I never get a popup then either, to say that "updates are available".
So, I --while still in Synaptic -- tick "Mark all upgrades" then "apply" and then it seems to update to the latest packages.

I got an email today from sourceforge.net saying a new version of KXS is available (14.04b_64bit). I'm sorta apprehensive about following their suggestion, because of fear of breaking my KXStudio OS.
Is this the same source as the one I have now, from falkTX?
leokin
Established Member

Re: KXS 12.04 or 14.04?

Post by leokin »

Thank you!! I'm not even aware that I subsribed to their feed. lol
Since I seem to get confused from time to time about this matter, all I need to do is unsubsribe, then visit sourceforge
as I wish. Simple.
So, if falkTX (you) ever offers an upgrade which he supports, how do I know when/if that happens?
In the same vein as you, I have regular Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on another hard drive and don't wish to change.
Thanx again, Leo
p.s. How do I support your cause via money?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I would definitely recommend people stick with 12.04 until falkTX fixes the ALSA bridge problem that plagues 14.04. As soon as you want to switch JACK device or settings, it becomes a struggle to get the ALSA bridge restarted because both its Start and Stop buttons are greyed out. falkTX says this isn't an issue under Debian but the iso is based upon Ubuntu 14.04.

The main draw for me of using Cadence over qjackctl and KXStudio over AVLinux or US etc is the integrated ALSA to JACK bridge. People need this working to get sound under their web browsers (whilst running JACK) a feature I feel is fundamental to modern computing, video being so prevalent and popular on the web today.

We need to check this issue occurs if the KX repos are used to install Cadence atop kubuntu 14.04 or similar - I presume it will.
billybob
Established Member

Post by billybob »

Can't seem to find a download link for KXStudio 12.04.3 64 bit. All links seem to point to 14.04 now ? Anyone got an active link please ? Torrent preffered. Thanks.
billybob
Established Member

Post by billybob »

many thanks :)
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Ok I've downloaded KXS 14.04b_64 bit and also 14.04.1 LTS Trusty Tahr....how are they different?
I suspect I can just install the former over my existing KXS, right?
Also, if I do that, how can I also migrate my KXS home partition to a different location, maybe on the same hard drive in it's own separate partition, or to another drive altogether?
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Another question...does the KXS 14.04b_64bit have the improvement implemented what you guys are talking about---addressing the ALSA bridge problem?
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Thank you! ~Leo