Wine Installs Flstudio, Vegas

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Product
Established Member

Wine Installs Flstudio, Vegas

Post by Product »

I searched in the Kxstudio forum and didn't find anyone who has tried to install Sony Vegas. KxStudio is the first linux distro that installs Fl Studio in Wine perfectly. Fl Studio was the only thing keeping me in Windows. I was very happy and amazed but that was not long lived!! Some one asked me to do some video editing. I use Vegas so I had to haul out a windows machine blah blah.

I guess running Fl Studio in linux is 'old hat'. But it is great - anyway!! Has anyone tried to run Vegas in Wine with Kxstudio?? I don't want to try it as it might break Fl Studio. I'm trying to get another machine running so I can try it but I've had grub issues (that I'm sure will be resolved).

Has anyone tried or experienced success with getting Sony Vegas to run in Wine w/ KxStudio??.
Product
Established Member

Re: Wine Installs Flstudio, Vegas

Post by Product »

Hello FalkTX,

Best thing! I get to tell you, that 1: KX Studio is great for music production. The choice of KDE is really interesting - but 2: I hope you're wrong about FL Studio, it's running great, maybe better than in Windows.

Thanks for getting back, I'll check out your link. I've heard that lightworks is a good video editor for Linux.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

maybe it would be an idea to try using play on linux.

Play on linux allows you to install programs in there own sort of isolated setup and you can manage which versions of wine each application uses.

It also has the ability to install windows libraries. Will doing it that way preserve a working setup even if wine gets updated since each installed windows programs is tied to a particular wine version
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

KDEnlive is the closest you'll get to a Linux-native Vegas.

It has the advantages over Lightworks of being FLOSS plus the free version of Lightworks is restricted to exporting up to a max res of 720p so its pretty much useless for serious projects unless you pay up.

LWKS was supposed to become FLOSS but I can't see it now after they introduced that restriction as it would be the first thing to get fixed.
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Interesting, that FalkTX runs Fl Studio. I appreciate finding that out. Too bad there isn't a Linux version.

300.00 for lightworks, maybe it's worth it?? Kdenlive doesn't seem to have a way to make a clips bin. Vegas and Premier allows multiple clip bins and have clip editors. Kdenlive doesn't seem to support that, of course that might have changed.

The 'play on linux' suggestion might be the way to go. Although I'm resurrecting an old computer to try it on. It would be sweet if Vegas could run like Fl Studio!!

But now I'm paranoid that it will break. FalkTX you would know and I don't doubt what you say!!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I have been conservative, not often upgrading distro, wine, kernel, and C libs, on my main setup.
I keep backups of .wine, so it is easy to revert, if a new version has issues, without
reinstalling/re-registering all the commercial products.I can drag/drop Program Files,
and /home/me/Documents, and all my Native Instruments, IK, Cakewalk, and U-he products
are ready for action.

New distros, or major updates, first are installed on external drives. They have to
dethrone the champ, before being installed on internal drives
that can't instantly be crushed by a sledgehammer, in a fit of :twisted: upgrade rage :twisted:
Cheers
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Glowrak Guy, do you mean you have Native Instruments and Calkwalk products running in Linux?? That is great to hear, I used to do a lot of work in Sonar. I thought Ardour would be a good replacement for Sonar, but so far it isn't really there.

From what I understand you are able to do this because you are careful with updates, that makes a lot of sense. Do you have any other suggestions for getting Vegas to run, or should I just go ahead and try it??

Oh and thanks for the info. seems very logical!!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Product:

You do know that you can create folders within KDEnlives clip browser window?

You'l find KDEnlive to be some way ahead of other open source video editors so if KDEnlive doesn't do what you need then I suspect you're looking at costly alternatives. You can try Blender and Cinelerra, which are the only other passable free editors. Everything else is either very basic or buggy and incomplete.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

Kdenlive is what i use for video editing.

Its great software and you can do alot, hwoever ive find out to be pretty tempramental, sometimes causing massive headaches due to crashes.

However the most recent versions seem to be alot stabler with only a few crashes happening while working on a project for a few hours.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Product wrote:Glowrak Guy, do you mean you have Native Instruments and Calkwalk products running in Linux?? That is great to hear, I used to do a lot of work in Sonar. I thought Ardour would be a good replacement for Sonar, but so far it isn't really there.

From what I understand you are able to do this because you are careful with updates, that makes a lot of sense. Do you have any other suggestions for getting Vegas to run, or should I just go ahead and try it??

Oh and thanks for the info. seems very logical!!
I have z3ta, rapture, amplitube, sampletank collection, t-racks, reaktor collection, guitar rig,
absynth, massive, fm-8, razor, micro-prism, and the u-he and Ugo synths. These I use with reaper,
or the .exe versions as standalones. I also use a lot of freeware, and still the linux instruments
and effects get alot of use, because they are good.

I've done only the most basic video edits using avidemux/kino, For vegas, I would see
what video cards the hardcore vegas users prefer, obtain one, and try as many versions
of Xorg and wine as possible, using a vegas demo. The factory nvidia driver
is pretty easy to install, if using an nvidia card, it seems to be default in pclinuxos,
3D works games work out of the box, and it has a variety of live media downloads,
and synaptic for repositories.

In the meantime, list the most important things you do with video, and try to
see which linux tools can be used to accomplish them, and piece together
the most useful workflow. If you must use windows in the future, you might be able
to netjack your linux audio into the vegas workflow, if you set up the windows
version of jackd.

http://www.pitivi.org/

http://www.techdrivein.com/2013/09/top- ... linux.html

http://lizabrown.hubpages.com/hub/Top-T ... tware-2014

Cheers
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Glowrak Guy, Pretty impressive software list. I'm familiar with some of them, especially Absynth which I used to be facsinated with, but didn't think it would ever run in Linux.

Tried to install Lightworks and got an unresolved dependancy problem. I wonder if that means I have to install what the unresolved dependancy is, anyway it says: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: Libtiff4. So does this mean I need to install Libtiff4??
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

Product wrote:Glowrak Guy, Pretty impressive software list. I'm familiar with some of them, especially Absynth which I used to be facsinated with, but didn't think it would ever run in Linux.

Tried to install Lightworks and got an unresolved dependancy problem. I wonder if that means I have to install what the unresolved dependancy is, anyway it says: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: Libtiff4. So does this mean I need to install Libtiff4??
Dependancy not satisfied means that the required file is not availible in the software repositories. Which is odd because ive searched for it and its there

Code: Select all

bazsound@bazsound-MS-7309:~$ apt-cache search libtiff4
libtiff4 - Tag Image File Format (TIFF) library                                                                                                                   
libtiff4-dev - Tag Image File Format library (TIFF), development files
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

G-guy, thanks!

I thought it was a graphic file, 'tiff' in the name - etc.. So, maybe the file needs to be moved somewhere where the install program 'sees it'.?

Got to check out Kdenlive, did look into lightworks. It has a rather sophisticated way of dealing w/ and creating bin files. In this regard it rivals Premier.

I really appreciate the 'feedback' - keeps the noodle, noodling!!
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

I ran the code and got this:

paladin@paladin-System-Product-Name:~$ apt-cache search libtiff4
libtiff4-dev - Tag Image File Format library (TIFF), transitional package

Different return than yours - mabye that has something to do with it!?
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Downloaded the beta or the next release and it works. The demo seems limited. Hopefully there wont be another reason to address the 'tiff' thing!