Reinstalling kx studio ububtu 12.04 or 14.04?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Snap
Established Member

Re: Reinstalling kx studio ububtu 12.04 or 14.04?

Post by Snap »

AFAIK there are no issues with AMD processors in Linux. Or not more than with Intel ones. GPUs are a different story. It seems the AMD GPU support is weak these days. Nvidia is the way to go for new builds, just the opposite not a long time ago.
TVu
Established Member

Post by TVu »

:twisted: I seem to be approaching this ass-backwards.

The audio applications I'm now most-comfortable with, and the sound hardware I'm driving (a pair of Edirol DA2496s), needed an -RT kernel (plus patching to support the wordclock sync jumper between the two cards). At the time I got the system, I compared Ubuntu Studio 12.04-3-LTS against 13.10, opting to build the next-higher -rt patch for the latter. Having now "field tested" that, Cadence and Carla are the obvious missing applications

I didn't have that system in-use for a while, chuckled at the expected mess for the first 14.04 release; but - not wanting to wait for 14.04-1, and as I've mucked about a bit too-much - I'm starting with Ubuntu Studio 14.04, bringing it fully up-to-date and building an -RT kernel. Only then adding the kxstudio repo onto that. So ...

Code: Select all

tvu1404@studio$ uname -a
Linux studio 3.14.3+full-preempt-rt5 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Jun 25 21:43:37 BST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I've got tacking -RT patches onto kernel source down to a handful of commands, I just really, really want to be able to use the 10-point touch monitor I've got fully within my audio applications so probably need to dance around the bleeding edge for a bit. :twisted:
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

TVu wrote::twisted: I seem to be approaching this ass-backwards.

The audio applications I'm now most-comfortable with, and the sound hardware I'm driving (a pair of Edirol DA2496s), needed an -RT kernel (plus patching to support the wordclock sync jumper between the two cards). At the time I got the system, I compared Ubuntu Studio 12.04-3-LTS against 13.10, opting to build the next-higher -rt patch for the latter. Having now "field tested" that, Cadence and Carla are the obvious missing applications

I didn't have that system in-use for a while, chuckled at the expected mess for the first 14.04 release; but - not wanting to wait for 14.04-1, and as I've mucked about a bit too-much - I'm starting with Ubuntu Studio 14.04, bringing it fully up-to-date and building an -RT kernel. Only then adding the kxstudio repo onto that. So ...

Code: Select all

tvu1404@studio$ uname -a
Linux studio 3.14.3+full-preempt-rt5 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Jun 25 21:43:37 BST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I've got tacking -RT patches onto kernel source down to a handful of commands, I just really, really want to be able to use the 10-point touch monitor I've got fully within my audio applications so probably need to dance around the bleeding edge for a bit. :twisted:
Seems like your going about it right to me. I'm just as good with computers and most linux users on these forums. Have you tried Any of the low latencey kernals? If so how do they compair to your RT kernal?