Removing commercial software from the repositories

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Shupacabras
Established Member

Re: Removing commercial software from the repositories

Post by Shupacabras »

remove these packages
I think right
Regards
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I'd say get rid.

The whole point of the KX repos is it saves people compiling stuff themselves. That doesn't apply to these and you already have too much on your plate.
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

Agreed, you can remove those, the providers of those softwares or canonical should do the work not you (at least the big commercial ones, the linuxdsp case might be a little different here).
Anyway as a small, but proud, donator to KXStudio I prefer that you invest your valuable time on your own awesome projects :mrgreen:
| DoosC |
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

I personally don't have any issue with them being there, but I definitely don't want you having to work for no real benefit.

I would think that Reaper fits the description of something that is fully functional. All it does is have a nag screen at open, unless something has changed.

Also, I love Loomer's, and LinuxDSP's products. I'd be fine with installing the myself, of course =)
Think like a gun.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

As time passes, you'll not have enough time to package all existing useful software. These packages can easily be installed manually, so remove them.
anko
Established Member

Post by anko »

yeah, by all means go ahead and remove them.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

+1 remove
lubrio
Established Member

Post by lubrio »

I agree, too.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

It's your distro, keep what's easy for you to keep. But it may be that those producers get precious little advertisement elsewhere, at least for their Linux output. It's possible that some users may have never even heard of those items without your inclusion of them into KXStudio.

The audio optimized-distros are the software equivalent of the Computer Music magazine, i.e. it's how people find out about what's out there.

Best,

dp
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

I agree with StudioDave.

Do what you think is best for you, falkTX.

When I can afford to, I plan to contribute to KXStudio. I might go for renoise, and I would have never heard of it (or installed the demo to try it out) if it was not bundled in KXStudio.

I eagerly awaited bitwig but cannot afford it. There are others, too.

My opinion: If possible keep what you can, but do what you think is best for you and KXStudio and the userbase. At the risk of others thinking "kickback" maybe the developers could make a contribution to KXStudio, and at least mention that their software has been tested and works well in KXStduio...
carlos
Established Member

Post by carlos »

For me, Reaper is a great app that works beautifully with KXS setup. I understand you don't want mantaining this software anymore, but, Reaper+KXS is a great combination, and , at least, Reaper let you try the app with full features.
I'm a happy user user of this in Linux Mint DE 64bit+ KXS repos :)
anko
Established Member

Post by anko »

hm, i didn't think it would really matter about that stuff, but i agree StudioDave made a good point too...

for instance i have a registered version of loomer's aspect synth for linux and it's one of my favourite synths and i also use a registered renoise on linux for a lot of stuff (version 3.0 just came out with a lot of nice improvements too). although i found renoise and aspect on the net and started using them long before i started using kxstudio, it is a good point that someone might discover that things like loomer's high quality stuff and resnoise are available for linux (native linux, no wine junk) through trying it in kxstudio... and i think that companies who are offering quality stuff in native linux form deserve to be promoted for it among linux using musos. all the libre stuff available on linux is just fantastic and so much of it is just great quality, but the more commercial pro audio developers who release native linux stuff the better too!

but i guess the bottom line is, as everyone has said, only support what you humanly can falktx. the amount of work you already do with all your kxstuduio stuff and distrho, already blows my mind! :wink:

cheers,
a.
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

+1 for Reaper.
It doesn't have special dependencies (only wine) ,it's small and efficient app.(lighter than ardour ,but commercial)
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

I think wine (and wineasio) should be kept in the ISO because there are dozens of freeware VSTs...
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

It's your call and respected :)
Does this mean no vst support for Carla?