Lets get our favorite KXStudio guy paid!

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

zth
Established Member

Lets get our favorite KXStudio guy paid!

Post by zth »

Hey guys!

falkTX does an amazing job with maintaining KXStudio, coding on his various projects, and providing us with the latest of the greatest in Linux audio. He does this without any form of required payment, and he doesn't really ask for anything either. I know we all really appreciate everything he's doing for us. Fact is though, this help is incredibly time consuming. He's spending a lot of time doing things we benefit from, and while I'm sure he enjoys most of it (or he'd be gone since long ;)), he deserves to be thanked in a way that he isn't really right now.

I'm creating this thread as he'd probably never do it himself, and I really hope he won't be mad with me ;). What we all can do, is we can pitch in a little. There's currently a donation system in place for KXStudio, and there's also a donation goal set by falkTX himself: €300 each month. That's not at all a lot of money, and would likely cover some spare time enjoyments at most. But falkTX deserves that, and I think most of us would agree. The donation system is through Paypal, and it's very easy to set up a subscription for €5, €10 or €25.

Now, money's always a tight subject, and I'm guessing most of us don't have a lot of it. Myself included. But I think that if it comes down to it, we could spare one beer, a pizza, or whatever every month for the guy who makes our hobby enjoyable, no? I'm currently subscribed to the minimum subscription amount, which is €5. Here in Sweden, that's not even a pizza, and it's only a beer in the pub if you find a pretty shitty pub. So, I'm not saying I'm doing anything revolutionary here, paying any grand amount. I pay what I currently can in my financial situation. But I do think there are more like me out there, who could spare a small amount each month.

This is not a thread that's trying to guilt anyone into donating to KXStudio, and I am in no way affiliated with falkTX :D Like I said previously, there's probably even a risk he'll be mad with me for posting this ;). I'm just sure that falkTX would never ask for donations like this himself, but someone needs to get the word out there.

€300/month, that's 60 people giving €5 a month. Lets give falkTX the means to spend a few hours outside of the computer and enjoy himself every once in a while!

The donation page (with a nice donation counter) can be found here: http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Donations
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Re: Lets get our favorite KXStudio guy paid!

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Thanks, I hadn't looked and didn't know there was a subscription.

It is an almost shamefully small amount. Does it even buy a beer in Europe? But I guess every little counts, and it is a heap better than donating nothing because a bigger donation feels unaffordable. So I joined you in the five-euro subs.

Heck, if this was a commercial support system, that probably wouldn't buy us one question, let alone a problem, let alone having falkTX constantly, enthusiastically, around.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Great plan zth!

I'm in...57 more to go!
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

I've been sending some $10/month from several months now, but I had recently to cancel due to financial problems. I'll start again ASAP.
hellalive
Established Member

Post by hellalive »

Donated $10 but I'm not sure i can keep doing it every month so I'm not subscribing yet. I was going to do it as I am currently using kxstudio to work on some songs and then I saw this thread and thought I had to say thank you for your hard work. Keep it going
He had a lot of nithing to say, we'll miss him
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

Hey zth,
great initiative, I've been supporting KXStudio financially for some time now but I guess it is worth making some more noise about it ! :mrgreen:
Being thankful and respectful on the forums about his work is for sure of great value for falkTX but the man needs to eat at least !
So let's keep this "be aware of the subscription" campaign going. 8)
| DoosC |
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

Great response all!

It's also nice to see people stepping forward noting they have in fact already been supporting KXStudio financially for a while. You all deserve some extra credit, that is awesome!

falkTX:
I think blogging sounds great. Just posts a few times a month summing up what you're actually up to, and what you're planning, would be a great read. Doesn't have to be fancy, just to let us know what you're doing now, instead of us having to bug you on IRC ;).
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

although i don't use kxstudio myself, i've just added my subscription to the stash:)

cheers

ps. also subscribed to kxstudio flattr.com for ages :)
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

rncbc wrote:although i don't use kxstudio myself, i've just added my subscription to the stash:)

cheers

ps. also subscribed to kxstudio flattr.com for ages :)
That's very generous of you Rui, especially considering your own status as developer! :)