KXStudio / Debian repo warning

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

KXStudio / Debian repo warning

Post by danboid »

I recently added the KXStudio repos to a Debian Jessie install by installing the deb here:

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Repositories

Shame on me for not checking my sources.list straight after installing it because I didn't expect it would add the Debian unstable and experimental as well as some Ubuntu Lucid-era repos to my system! :/

I chose to install Jessie because in my experience Debian testing has reasonably up-to-date packages whilst being more stable than most other supposedly stable distros. Sadly I can't say the same of Debian sid/unstable/experimental and so I avoid using these repos except in dire circumstances. Do you really need to add the unstable and experimental repos for KXStudio F?

I'd appreciate it if you could warn people of these extra repos repos that installing the KX deb will add to their systems please F! I may end up re-installing soon now as I'm stuck with unstable packages which I don't trust and you can't downgrade Debian. I think I'll download the individual packages I want from KX or just compile them myself if it depends on unstable and experimental, next time.
danboid
Established Member

Re: KXStudio / Debian repo warning

Post by danboid »

Also, it seems wineasio isn't installable because it depends upon wine which isn't properly packaged for Debian. wine in Debian is just a stub package telling you to go elsewhere to get it.

Do you plan to package wine and/or a low-latency kernel for Debian F?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

If it wasn't KX, I've no idea where the experimental + unstable lines in my sources.list appeared from as I haven't installed/added any other repos or downloaded any other debs that could've done that - not that I can think of anyway. Weird! As I say, I didn't check my sources.list until a few days after installing the KX deb so I wasn't sure that was the cause but I couldn't think what else might've caused it. Sorry about that, but I'm even more worried now!

Anyway, I've compiled wine 1.6.1 and wineasio under Jessie now but it wasn't easy!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Whilst I'm talking about wine, wineasio and KXStudio under Debian, it seems that the WineASIO config section of Cadence has gone missing - as has its screenshot in the docs, which we should replace if its still present?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

That'll explain it then as wine defaults to installing to /usr/local when buillt from source.

It'd be nice to see KX wine get updated with a newer, Deb compat. version. Its using the stock 1.4.x one from buntu 12.04 atm right?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

falkTX wrote:I did not do any wine packaging for debian yet.
It's really not a priority to me right now (far from it). But since you're asking I may do a wine-rt (1.6.1) package, is that version good enough?
I think that a working wineasio in a KXdebian is important for :
- reaper people who want to use it as main DAW
- all the vst stuff : some of us have licences for useful software and we'd really like to use them (eg for me Reaktor, Vielklang)
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

I think that a working wineasio in a KXdebian is important for :
- reaper people who want to use it as main DAW
A must here.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Yes please! A Debian wine 1.6.1 would be much better than nothing or having to build from source. wine is quite a big build and wineasio is even trickier to compile, thanks to the need to acquire asio.

I think the person who used to package wine for Debian has given up as those packages (linked on the wnehq downloads page) are still on 1.5.x.
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

Wine 1.4.1-4+rt0tstudio3 from Tango Studio repositories work fine here, Wineasio is in their repos too. For the very last version of Wineasio, if you're on 64 bits system you have to build it in a 32 bits chroot installed with debootstrap. It may look complicated but it's actually not so tricky, i guess there are tutorials in english on the web. Sorry the excellent one that i used was in french.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I got 32-bit wine to compile under Deb testing amd64 by enabling the i386 multiarch support then installing the required 32bit dev libs. Before doing that I compiled wine64 but it didn't work so well.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thanks F! It'll make KXDeb more comparable to KXbuntu.

Any thoughts on packaging a low-latency kernel for Debian?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Thanks ! Install works, testing now.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Can someone recall me the good setup of wine for wineasio ? I think I have not the good option.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I agree that wine is important in any audio linux distro. Imo. I started out last year using only VSTs, and although I have since been using only linux-based instruments, having the freedom to choose is nice. (which is precisely what Windows forbids..)

Thank you falkTX for adding it to the Debian set-up! :)

Just my 2c..

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com