multichannel linuxsampler lv2 plugin

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lazyklimm
Established Member

multichannel linuxsampler lv2 plugin

Post by lazyklimm »

KX studio linuxsampler-lv2 package has a patch linuxsampler-stereo-lv2.diff applied, which hardcode the number of channels to 2. I don't think it's a good idea, since it makes LS plugin almost unusable for drumkits (which usually have more than two channels).
lazyklimm
Established Member

Re: multichannel linuxsampler lv2 plugin

Post by lazyklimm »

quote from LS bugzilla:
The 32 channel feature isn't some novel idea I come up with. Other sampler
plugins like Kontakt and SampleTank behave similarly. Actually, the LS VST
plugin originally only had 2 channels, but 32 channels were soon requested in
the forums.
Maybe we could find a compromise?
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

>the best thing to do would be to ask them to support both 2-chan and 32-chan variants of the plugin.

i'm afraid that is the only way, since LV2 doesn't support multiple channel configuration (yet?).

>can you make the request on their mailing list please?

ok, maybe a little later
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

I use LS LV2 quite a lot, and I personally only use it in 2-channel mode. What drumkits are there for Linux that uses 32 channels?

Anyway, for me personally, it's a matter of convenience, especially with instruments. Also, when I do drums, I do a track per part of the kit (kick, snare, hihat etc..), which makes having it 2 channel simpler for me.
But indeed, having 2 versions maybe's the best thing if people want 32 channels as well. Falktx, could LS LV2 perhaps come in two versions in the repos that don't conflict (only difference being patch applied or not applied); linuxsampler-2channel-lv2, and linuxsampler-32channel-lv2? This way, you could just load which instance of LS LV2 you currently want and need?
Problem is this'd break compability with old sessions I guess, so maybe let the the 2 channel one be named what it currently is, and just add a new one with 32 channels.

I should say I have no clue if what I just described would be technically possible, but it would solve the problem I guess if it is.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

>What drumkits are there for Linux that uses 32 channels?

Most good drumkits has multiple outputs (one-two per instrument + overheads + rooms).
I use Wavesfactory Classick Rock Drums and Analogue Drums Rockstock.

>Also, when I do drums, I do a track per part of the kit (kick, snare, hihat etc..), which makes having it 2 channel simpler for me.

too much tracks, hard to record (have to split them every time)

>But indeed, having 2 versions maybe's the best thing if people want 32 channels as well. Falktx, could LS LV2 perhaps come in two versions in the repos that don't conflict (only difference being patch applied or not applied); linuxsampler-2channel-lv2, and linuxsampler-32channel-lv2? This way, you could just load which instance of LS LV2 you currently want and need?

It's possible, but there are some problems:

That's what LS devs say:
The VST plugin now provides 32 channels. We don't see a reason (as suggested) to provide additional VST versions with less channels, since the "waste" of resources are marginal.
Here's another link: http://bugs.linuxsampler.org/cgi-bin/sh ... cgi?id=188

and that's what Paul Davis says:
and according to ardour devs, it is an LS "bug" :) its stupid. people don't
use MIDI tracks to drive 16 different instruments. this is just dumb.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

I have nothing against stereo version, but prefer 32-bit version myself, it's more flexible, wastes less resources and "big brothers do it that way".

Ardour definitely should have midi tracks with customizable number of outputs.
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

lazyklimm wrote:too much tracks, hard to record (have to split them every time)
And I think having everything in the same MIDI-region is less efficient, as I do loop-based music and sequence everything drum-by-drum. Clearly, there are different use cases :)
lazyklimm wrote:I have nothing against stereo version, but prefer 32-bit version myself, it's more flexible, wastes less resources and "big brothers do it that way".

Ardour definitely should have midi tracks with customizable number of outputs.
You can add and remove number of inputs and outputs as you want in Ardour. I would however argue against it being more flexible (but I can only speak for my own use case), and you quoted LS-devs yourself above saying that the waste of resources was marginal.

As I see it, LS devs have made it clear that they're not interested in changing how the plugin works (32 channels) or maintaining another version. Ardour devs don't agree with the reasoning, so hostwise it's unlikely to change there. It then comes down to: Should LS in KXStudio be altered and at the same time break old sessions depending on it (plugin suddenly creates 32 channels instead of 2). There was quite a lot of discussion on IRC when the 32-channels were introduced (I know I reported it as a bug for one, as it broke every session I had with LS) and [lsd] graciously provided a patch to solve the issue for us. I don't remember anyone arguing for keeping the 32-channel version, but many arguing for making it 2-channel again.

Obviously, if the majority of the users want a 32-channel version instead, it should be put in there. But I think careful consideration should be put into a decision before breaking compability with old sessions A simple solution if you want 32 channels could be compiling LS yourself without the patch.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

>And I think having everything in the same MIDI-region is less efficient, as I do loop-based music and sequence everything drum-by-drum. Clearly, there are different use cases :)

I thought ardour was made more suitable for live recorded music.

>You can add and remove number of inputs and outputs as you want in Ardour.

1) I don't know how to add additional number of outputs for midi tracks

2) Is it possible to add new ios on the fly?

>As I see it, LS devs have made it clear that they're not interested in changing how the plugin works (32 channels) or maintaining another version. Ardour devs don't agree with the reasoning, so hostwise it's unlikely to change there. It then comes down to: Should LS in KXStudio be altered and at the same time break old sessions depending on it (plugin suddenly creates 32 channels instead of 2).

Two variants of plugin would be great for all, but as LS devs don't want to maintain both versions, somebody has to. There are very few differences in code, but anyway, it will cost some time.
Btw, i'd like LS plugin to have more controls - at least it should be able to download lscp scripts. I wish i had time for this :/

>There was quite a lot of discussion on IRC when the 32-channels were introduced (I know I reported it as a bug for one, as it broke every session I had with LS) and [lsd] graciously provided a patch to solve the issue for us. I don't remember anyone arguing for keeping the 32-channel version, but many arguing for making it 2-channel again.

Sounds like linux musicians don't use good live drum samples.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

You're awesome, man! Thanks!
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

Just tested, plugin works as expected, thanks again!

Now it's time to disturb Ardour developers :)