KXStudio recent updates - any problems?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

luster
Established Member

Re: KXStudio recent updates - any problems?

Post by luster »

I just ran the updates some minutes ago. No issues so far.

falkTX, do you know if the kernel regression issue dealing with USB has been fixed? I tried the last earlier 3.8 kernel last night and still had issues with starting jack at login.

thanks.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I'm only seeing updates in "testing" which I am not rushing to install as they are plugins that I do not use, and "kernel" which I am also not installing as I have to keep to 3.2 and an older version of Catalyst for my video chip, which AMD have dropped later support for. Only had this MB a couple of years, grrr at AMD!

I certainly want to keep up to date with Jack and Cadence tools, as it only seems to get better and more stable each time :)
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Should have included: I am on 12.04 --- but my system seems to have picked them up today, with update manager showing me a mega list. I just have to wait out this power cut...
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I updated my KX install yesterday with the new JACK etc. I tested to see if the update fixed the lowlatency USB regresssion (on my Scarlett 2i4) but sadly not. Maybe I'll have to roll back to an earlier kernel.

You say Carla will make use of this custom JACK build but what about Cadence? I was hoping to see that get updated to show the current device in its main window.
billybob
Established Member

Post by billybob »

Does this indicate that 12.04.2 using Ubuntu base is nearly ready ?
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

I just did another full update on my main machine. No problems noticed. One thing I did notice is that I now seem to be able to run the 3.8 kernel without problems. Maybe the USB regression issue is solved? I didn't notice a new kernel in the last batch of updates... Good excuse to make music today and test more stuff to find out for sure. I'll report problems or issues I notice in this thread.

I also did a full install AMD64 from the live DVD yesterday on another machine, then last night, ran all available updates with no problems noticed yet. I'll also report any problems or issues that arise with the new-install machine here.
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

I just noticed that KlangFalter (either VST or LV2) won't load 4 channels IR anymore, something I think that was working right last time I used it (some weeks ago, not sure exactly).
1-1 and 1-2 load just fine but 2-1 and 2-2 either load as blank or after some attempts loads with some kind of periodic signal (!?)
Same IR files load just fine in IR LV2 in LV2 rack.
Argh... is there any other impulse convolver known to work well in Carla and which is able to load 4 channels files ?
| DoosC |
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

luster wrote:I just did another full update on my main machine. No problems noticed. One thing I did notice is that I now seem to be able to run the 3.8 kernel without problems. Maybe the USB regression issue is solved? I didn't notice a new kernel in the last batch of updates... Good excuse to make music today and test more stuff to find out for sure. I'll report problems or issues I notice in this thread....
UPDATE: Yes. A full day of making music and even on into the night and now the next day running the 3.8.0-28-lowlatency kernel at 5.3ms latency, with xruns appearing only due to trying to get an ancient digital camera to download via a serial port. Yay.

So it seems that at least my usb kernel regression issue may be a thing of the past. I don't know what changed. I ran the latest updates, though.

No problems auto-starting jack after rebooting as many as a dozen times. That seemed to be the key to determining if there would be further problems and xruns. At least in my case.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Luster:

I'm glad you have got USB audio working under 3.8 - I was not so lucky with my Scarlett 2i4 under 3.8 but I'm running 3.5 LL without issue.

3.5 would seem to be a safer bet to ship by default in 12.04.3 - USB audio of course being very important to have working properly for as many as possible in an audio-centric distro!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Found an issue with Cadence.

I have a portable hifi with a USB port. I had set JACK to use 96Khz under Cadence for this device but I forgot it doesn't run at anything higher than 48Khz so when I tried starting JACK at 96Khz, Cadence died and I've yet to revive her, even after a reboot or force-restarting the cadence session daemon. I may have to delete the Cadence settings as a quick fix I suppose?

Code: Select all

dan@dan-SR700:~$ cadence
Using Tray Engine 'Qt'
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.59:/org/jackaudio/Controller: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 2303, in <module>
    gui = CadenceMainW()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 1194, in __init__
    self.DBusReconnect()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence.py", line 1216, in DBusReconnect
    if gDBus.jack.IsStarted():
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
dan@dan-SR700:~$ cadence-jacksettings 
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.59:/org/jackaudio/Controller: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/jacksettings.py", line 917, in <module>
    gui = JackSettingsW(None)
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/jacksettings.py", line 194, in __init__
    driverList = gJackctl.ReadContainer(["drivers"])[1]
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)                                                                                                                                         
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.                                       
dan@dan-SR700:~$ cadence-session-start -s
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence_session_start.py", line 223, in <module>
    sys.exit(startSession(False))
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence_session_start.py", line 103, in startSession
    startJack()
  File "/usr/share/cadence/src/cadence_session_start.py", line 134, in startJack
    DBus.jack.StartServer()
    **keywords)
    message, timeout)
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The simple fix was to simply reboot my machine with the USB audio device unplugged, then I could start Cadence again and change it back to 48Khz.

Obviously, my internal audio chipset can handle 96Khz so Cadence was happy to open in that state.

I realize this is the sort of issue you don't see, not having any USB audio devices to test with.
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

falkTX wrote:I saw the same thing, but I don't believe that it was my changes who broke that, upstream probably did (by mistake I guess)
I reported the issue upstream:
https://github.com/HiFi-LoFi/KlangFalter/issues/3
Wow ! Thanks for the bug report, I could have done it myself but yours already comes with half of the solution so I bet it'll be fixed sometime soon ! :)
| DoosC |
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Another plugin prob - this time its setbfree under qtr. setbfree seems to work fine under A3 but I've had no luck with it under qtr.

When you add setbfree to a qtr MIDI track, it opens another small and empty window (that I expect isn't meant to appear at all) as well as the main b3 plugin window. The main plugin window cannot be closed once its open but that doesn't matter as qtr crashes as soon as you try to activate setbfree so you can't use it anyway right now (under qtr).

Maybe I should be reporting this on the qtr bug tracker instead? It'd be good if someone else could verify this is the case now under KX amd64!?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hi F!

I got a reply off Robin and he just said it works fine for him under Debian's qtr 0.5.5 but did also hint at it being a suil prob.

I've tried those two jalv commands and it seems you're correct - jalv.qt suffers the same issues as qtractor so I'll try taking it up with drobilla.

Could it be suil causing my probs with amsynth too I wonder? I've not had any response off Nick since I sent him the bt of the qtr/amsynth crash.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I've tested with Qtractor 0.5.10.4, LV2 1.6.0 and Suil 0.6.14 and no improvement. SetBfree opens with an extra window and if you try to close that Qtractor crashes.