Alsa is sometimes shutting down.. Anybody with same problem?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

akiz
Established Member

Alsa is sometimes shutting down.. Anybody with same problem?

Post by akiz »

Hi!
I was using KXStudio some years ago and now i am back :) .
But i have problem (same with different soundcards - behringer uca202 or m-audio fasttrack pro).
Sometimes when i listen to music, watching video or making beats in Renoise (doing anything), my sound stops. In the most situations "switch master" helps, sometimes i have to make force restart. But it doesnt seem that jack is stopped, aplications are working, just sound doesnt come out (as log below shows it is probably alsa problem...).
If you have some ladish session and you have to force restart it will crash it. So it is nearly impossible for me to use these advanced features.
What is even more interesting is that sometimes write out crash in logs, sometimes doesnt. And when it doesnt, switch master takes much more time (it looks like stucked for 10s) and when it does, it goes fast and it looks like that:

Fri Jul 12 08:45:40 2013: ERROR: ALSA: poll time out, polled for 31999022 usecs
Fri Jul 12 08:45:40 2013: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...

It happens almost every 15minutes i would say. so i can not make any complex work. I hope that my description is ok and not too much complicated as i am not native speaker. Thank you for your help I suppose i've overlooked some important configuration...

KX Studio 12.04, some AMD processor, 4gb ram, usb soundcard (behringer uca202), master keyboard mk-449c
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Re: Alsa is sometimes shutting down.. Anybody with same prob

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I think different audio drivers and sound cards react differently to the alsa bridge. on my m audio delta 1010. Sound breaks up with distortion sounds like static when using alsa. When using jack for recording it sounds fine it's just when I'm watching movies on the net or watching youtube. It could also be your video drivers conflicting with audio drivers.

I'm not sure falktx is addressing issues like this on the forum he prefers you write a bug report for something like this on get hub
TheSafePlaces
Established Member

Post by TheSafePlaces »

Alwaysanewb wrote:Sound breaks up with distortion sounds like static when using alsa. When using jack for recording it sounds fine it's just when I'm watching movies on the net or watching youtube.
You sure it's ALSA? That's (also) a known Flash player bug... O_o
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Dont know how to specifically describe this bug so this is why i prefer this way...
Yeah, it could be my graphical driver. Right after installation (ubuntu studio 12.04 -> kxstudio) i've installed radeon official drivers because unnoficial linux one are heating my computer so much that it shut down all the time :)
But i will also try that hub if i find way how to do it... i am novice in posting bugs / solving linux problems... :D

Btw. i dont hear any sound when alsa is shutted down. You just dont hear anything, everything besides log look absolutelly normal.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

TheSafePlaces wrote:
Alwaysanewb wrote:Sound breaks up with distortion sounds like static when using alsa. When using jack for recording it sounds fine it's just when I'm watching movies on the net or watching youtube.
You sure it's ALSA? That's (also) a known Flash player bug... O_o

No I'm not sure it's alsa. I know I have a laptop that doesn't do it and all the sudden once all the bridges were added in cadencerecently It started happening. It use to be fine on my desktop. I just figure somethings conflicting now. As soon as the bridges started showing up on claudia where you can actually see the bridge it started happening. I'm not to concerned about it. It's kind of like getting static on an old radio. I don't like it doesn't mean I'm going to stop listnening.
Is there a fix for the flash player bug I can try?
akiz wrote:Dont know how to specifically describe this bug so this is why i prefer this way...
Yeah, it could be my graphical driver. Right after installation (ubuntu studio 12.04 -> kxstudio) i've installed radeon official drivers because unnoficial linux one are heating my computer so much that it shut down all the time :)
But i will also try that hub if i find way how to do it... i am novice in posting bugs / solving linux problems... :D

Btw. i dont hear any sound when alsa is shutted down. You just dont hear anything, everything besides log look absolutelly normal.
Read your post a little closer the video drivers was just a suggestion. I don't know if radeon has more than one driver but you could still try the others if there is more than one.

I see your using renoise which I know nothing about. I'm guessing your running in wine because it's non native to linux? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.
Some times programs that aern't programed well, or not specificly programmed for linux, or OS update something and the program hasn't been updating causes conflicts.So you get glitches like the one your talking about.

It might not be the best suggestion and I could be wrong about all of this I'm not a programmer or anything. You might want to try a native linux program to create your music. Start a thread in the recorder&sequencers section of the forum. Tell them that you were using renoise and what it's doing and they might be able to help with that a lot of people use it. Also tell what type of music you make and how you like to work your workflow ect and someone that knows more about the stuff than me can possibly give you an idea of some programs that will work better on linux and still allow you to make the music you want to make. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Here is a link there a couple of tabs on the page where you can go to report bugs not sure which one is aplicable to you.
http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Development
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Thank you for your suggestions but problem is somewhere else. Besided that Renoise is also linux native and because ive been using it on windows workstation and i find it one of the most powerful and amusing (in a good way) DAW i am using it on linux also (next to the mixbus, ardour and wine reaper).
But sound stops anytime, if i listen to music, if i watch youtube, if i dont listen nothing, if i use ardour or not. What helps is in 95% switch master, in 5% force restart. But it can crash your ladspa session (cadence). Funny is that it is absolutely unpredictable, sometimes sound fluently works 10minutes, sometimes 2 etc.
And everything what i know about it is that log...
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

I've never noticed exactly the same problem.

Which kernel are you running?
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Now ive noticed that ladspa (claudia) is usually up and doesnt fall when i do "switch master" in Cadence, but it depends on running apps. It is still very annoying and it kills my workflow. Interesting is that when ive been running kxstudio about year back, i've never noticed this problem. On the other hand i remember there were different problems, dont remember exactly what but i am sure i was able to doing music without need to restart jack all the time.
Btw sometimes when i click on "switch master" it takes very long time to turn up and it writes out that jack could be turned on, but it is and everything is ok for a while. And it also says that i should check log, so:
Sat Jul 13 23:11:12 2013: ERROR: JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 7 port_dst = 3
Sat Jul 13 23:11:12 2013: ERROR: JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 8 port_dst = 4
Sat Jul 13 23:11:13 2013: ERROR: JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 1 port_dst = 5
Sat Jul 13 23:11:13 2013: ERROR: JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 2 port_dst = 6
Sat Jul 13 23:17:46 2013: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = jack2alsa was not finished, state = Running
Sat Jul 13 23:17:46 2013: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = alsa2jack was not finished, state = Triggered
Sat Jul 13 23:17:46 2013: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = a2j was not finished, state = Triggered
Sat Jul 13 23:17:46 2013: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = renoise was not finished, state = Triggered
Sat Jul 13 23:17:46 2013: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

And about Kernel i use 3.8.0-26-lowlatency 64bit
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

Have you tried using a kernel 3.2 rather than the 3.8?

I had trouble starting JACK as well as some strange crashes with 3.8. It seems due to a USB device issue 3.8 has. I'm not seeing the problem with 3.2.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

No, but i've built KXstudio from scratch from lubuntu.
Everything is allright, but something bad is happening with alsa-jack bridge, it is the problem. But i have to say that ive created alsa jack through cadence that ive installed for that purpose.
When i am running just alsa, there is no problem, same with jack, same with pulse audio (that i dont use now).
So i am 100% sure that what is falling down is alsa -> jack, but as i mentioned, i dont know if the problem is not in cadance. TY
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

When i wrote my first post i was using kx studio from dvd, now ive constructed it from "the scratch" because i wanted to know where is problem.
When i dont run snd-aloop-jack everything is ok, but i would love to run jack with alsa all the time.
Btw. i would advice to use lubuntu and then install kxstudio things, great workaround if you dont wanna use pulse audio...
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Oh, now it is problem with alsa (after installing cadence that ive uninstalled before one hour). Alsa is shutting down even without jack and any bridge, so the problem will be in some configuration changes made by cadence i suppose...
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

I've updated kernel to 3.9 also generic, because ive realized that problem began also with kernel updated to kxkernel lowlatency. for now (10mmin everything is working and looking good). If i wont update this message, problem lies in here :-)
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

So, it falls much less and not sporadically but when it falls (you close something in a bad time... can not reproduce right now) it absolutely crash cadence and everything is stuck for a while and "kill" is must.