RME DIGI9652

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Snap
Established Member

RME DIGI9652

Post by Snap »

Just got an old Digi9652 for cheap and learnt the hard way that hdspconf and hdspmixer don't work with this card. They were written for the later non Digi versions. I managed to put it to work (but stuttering) with Pulse audio, but I cannot manage to make it work with Jack at all. Don't know how to set it up in Cadence. Jack crashes every time I lauch the server. I'm stuck at this point. I've surfed the web but there's very little info regarding this card used in Linux. Folks say it works but don't know how to.

Please, any advice to setup jack properly will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Re: RME DIGI9652

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Have you tried rmedigicontrol?

It used to work for me Digi96/8 PST, although I did not try the digital i/o since moving to Linux.

EDIT... no, I think mine is an earlier generation. Probable better information here.
looplog
Established Member

Post by looplog »

I have had the same card here working fine under JACK for several years. The DIGI 9652 or 9632 cards have had Alsa drivers for a long time and work with no extra setup required. They should work with JACK easily as well. There isn't really a "how to" - these cards are about as plug and play as it gets. The only thing I can think of is that there may be an issue if the card has the Mac compatible firmware chip installed.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

I've tried the card in Ubunbtu 12.10 and it seems to work kinda plug and play. No mixer or anything. It just works under Pulse audio, but it stutters in a weird way. According to these topics:

https://community.ardour.org/node/3426

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=817022

I managed to set it as master clock to sync my dbx Quantum as the DA converter. The Quantum gets locked to it. But it seems the stuttering is related with the priority of the process. For now, trying different recommended priority settings I haven't managed to get rid of it.

In KXS 12.04.1 I haven't got a single sound for it yet... :roll: haven't tried PulseAudio here anyhow, only Jack.
Yes, "No RME Digi soundcard found". Maybe a module is missing? ...But Alsa finds it.
I have had the same card here working fine under JACK for several years. The DIGI 9652 or 9632 cards have had Alsa drivers for a long time and work with no extra setup required. They should work with JACK easily as well. There isn't really a "how to" - these cards are about as plug and play as it gets. The only thing I can think of is that there may be an issue if the card has the Mac compatible firmware chip installed.
Did you ever used it with Jack? Do you remember the settings?

The guy I bought it from used it in a PC loaded with Win XP for years. I don't know if it has Mac firmware, I guess no...
looplog
Established Member

Post by looplog »

Snap wrote:
Yes, "No RME Digi soundcard found". Maybe a module is missing? ...But Alsa finds it.
Digicontrol is for only one or two specific RME cards. It will not work with the DIGI 9652 or 9632 cards.
Snap wrote:Did you ever used it with Jack? Do you remember the settings?

The guy I bought it from used it in a PC loaded with Win XP for years. I don't know if it has Mac firmware, I guess no...
I use it with Jack exclusively. Assuming you have Jack setup correctly then it should just work, and by setup correctly I mean there are no special settings for this card that don't apply to any other card. It is a standard Jack setup for which there are many guides on the net. About the only thing this card won't do is operate at lower frame rates like 16 or 32 frames per period. Do you have any way to make sure Jack is working in general, perhaps by using it with a different sound card just for testing purposes?

Otherwise, since you can probably rule out the firmware being the cause of an issue, the only other potential cause of stuttering I can think of could be sample rate or bit depth mismatch between your DA unit and the card. Unfortunately these kinds of issues are a real pain to troubleshoot. Maybe try running the RME card as slave to the Quantum instead of the other way round? You should be able to set Preferred Sync Source in Alsamixer.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Snap wrote:Did you ever used it with Jack? Do you remember the settings?
Possibly, but only in passing. In fact I think my once-much-loved card is dead: I did plug it in recently and got only a loud buzz on one channel. Must be over ten years old now.

I only came to Jack because I ended up with a firewire device. Before that, yes my card worked with Linux, plug and play with Ubuntu.

Because I do no more than the most simple and basic recording, I had no need of Jack and studio tools. Now I do use it, I'm going to continue using it even with non-FW devices: it's wonderful. But that's another story :)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

pls post:

Code: Select all

lspci |grep RME

cat /proc/asound/cards

cat /proc/modules |grep snd_hdsp

cat /proc/interrupts |grep hdsp

#################

Build module:

cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig 

Device Drivers --->
 Sound card support --->
 Advance Linux Sound Architecture --->
 PCI sound devices ---> 
==> "snd_hdsp" <== (?) :: "M" == module

>>EXIT<<

make modules && make modules_install

modprobe snd_hdsp

hdsploader
(?)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
looplog
Established Member

Post by looplog »

khz wrote:

cat /proc/modules |grep snd_hdsp

cat /proc/interrupts |grep hdsp
I believe Snap is using the Digi9652 card (http://www.rme-audio.de/old/english/hammer/d9652.htm). This card predates the HDSP cards and uses a different driver so none of the HDSP stuff is relevant.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

@looplog:
Yes. (Digi9652 card (module))
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

the only other potential cause of stuttering I can think of could be sample rate or bit depth mismatch between your DA unit and the card. Unfortunately these kinds of issues are a real pain to troubleshoot. Maybe try running the RME card as slave to the Quantum instead of the other way round? You should be able to set Preferred Sync Source in Alsamixer.
Yes, I considered that, but for some reason the Digi9652 doesn't seems to lock to the Quantum. Don't know why, but bet as a master the Quantum locks every time. In fact I'd like to sync the Digi to the Quantum set as the master since I prefer the sound of the dbx clock over the RME clocks I've tried. I'll try to solve this once the card is working properly.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

I use it with Jack exclusively. Assuming you have Jack setup correctly then it should just work, and by setup correctly I mean there are no special settings for this card that don't apply to any other card. It is a standard Jack setup for which there are many guides on the net. About the only thing this card won't do is operate at lower frame rates like 16 or 32 frames per period. Do you have any way to make sure Jack is working in general, perhaps by using it with a different sound card just for testing purposes?
Well, Jack works fine with the buil-in Intel card, if this means something. Buit if I set the Digi in Cadence as Device/Interface, or in duplex mode as the input and output device, Jacks crashes when I click to start the server.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

paco@paco-kxs:~$ lspci |grep RME
04:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall) (rev 03)

paco@paco-kxs:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [R15            ]: RME9652 - RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5)
                      RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xfd000000, irq 16
 1 [Loopback       ]: Loopback - Loopback
                      Loopback 1
 2 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf9ffc000 irq 43
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

paco@paco-kxs:~$ cat /proc/asound/R15/rme9652
RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) (Card #1)
Buffers: capture f2a00000 playback f2400000
IRQ: 16 Registers bus: 0xfd000000 VM: 0xf841c000
Control register: 3401e

Latency: 8192 samples (2 periods of 32768 bytes)
Hardware pointer (frames): 0
Passthru: no
Clock mode: master

ADAT1 Input source: ADAT1 optical

IEC958 input: Coaxial
IEC958 output: Coaxial only
IEC958 quality: Consumer
IEC958 emphasis: off
IEC958 Dolby: off
IEC958 sample rate: undetermined

ADAT Sample rate: 44100Hz
ADAT1: No Lock
ADAT2: No Lock
ADAT3: No Lock

Timecode signal: no
Punch Status:

1: off  2: off  3: off  4: off  5: off  6: off  7: off  8: off 
 9: off 10: off 11: off 12: off 13: off 14: off 15: off 16: off                                                                                                              
17: off 18: off 19: off 20: off 21: off 22: off 23: off 24: off                                                                                                              
25: off 26: off  
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

Is this normal?

Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

paco@paco-kxs:~$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Input Connector',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'ADAT1' 'Coaxial' 'Internal'
  Item0: 'Coaxial'
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Output also on ADAT1',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Sample Rate',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined penum
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 96000
  Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'ADAT1 Input Source',0
  Items: 'ADAT1' 'Internal'
  Item0: 'ADAT1'
Simple mixer control 'ADAT1 Sync Check',0
  Items: 'No Lock' 'Lock' 'No Lock Sync' 'Lock Sync'
  Item0: 'No Lock'
Simple mixer control 'ADAT2 Sync Check',0
Simple mixer control 'ADAT3 Sync Check',0
Simple mixer control 'Channels Thru',0
  Capabilities: pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right - Rear Left - Rear Right - Front Center - Woofer - Side Left - Side Right - Rear Center - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback [off]
  Front Right: Playback [off]
  Rear Left: Playback [off]
  Rear Right: Playback [off]
  Front Center: Playback [off]                                                                                                                                               
  Woofer: Playback [off]                                                                                                                                                     
  Side Left: Playback [off]                                                                                                                                                  
  Side Right: Playback [off]                                                                                                                                                 
  Rear Center: Playback [off]                                                                                                                                                
  ?: Playback [off]                                                                                                                                                          
Simple mixer control 'Passthru',0
Simple mixer control 'Preferred Sync Source',0
  Items: 'IEC958 In' 'ADAT1 In' 'ADAT2 In' 'ADAT3 In'
  Item0: 'IEC958 In'
Simple mixer control 'Sync Mode',0
  Items: 'AutoSync' 'Master' 'Word Clock'
  Item0: 'Master'
Simple mixer control 'Timecode Valid',0
Again...

Mono: 0 [0%]

Shouldn't these read 44100 [45.9%] (or thereabouts) and 44100 respectively?