ARCH system

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rastagallo
Established Member

ARCH system

Post by rastagallo »

I'm thinking about moving to Arch, maybe it will be better for the stability of the system, but I don't know where to start.
Is there a deb-like repository for KXstudio on Arch?
Or, is there a easy way to install the KXstudio tools on an Arch system?

Thanks guys!
Qualitymix
Established Member

Re: ARCH system

Post by Qualitymix »

Hey this isn't so much a response to your question, but more of an addition. I tried out AVLinux and on my particular system it ran super quick. I know Openbox is lightweight and snappy, but Ardour popped up really fast and things just seemed to load up with no fuss whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, the KXStudio distro runs quick, but KDE in general on MY desktop(as in this doesn't apply to everyone) runs slower than the super lightweight Openbox. And I did try the XFCE meta package in the repo. It was a little quicker but nothing like Openbox. I was really hoping I could just install AVLinux and grab the KXStudio repos, but sadly this cannot be. And it's no one's fault in particular, it's just the way it so turns out at the moment.

I don't know how the AVLinux build of Ardour 3 is customized, but it called itself the beta 5 with VST support, and the whole UI seemed updated and fresh. However I simply cannot do without the latest Carla and Cadence.

In short, I understand the desire to move to a different setup, but when I reflect on how limited I was on Windows, I just view this current issue I have as a non-problem. As in, this is only a problem I have made for myself by my choice to become familiar with a particular set of software. The flexibility I have as a linux user has always been refreshing to me.

In conclusion, I hope you're not too disappointed if there ISN'T an Arch package for KXStudio ( I don't know if there is or not). I only say that because this is such a fantastic suite of software that it would be a shame to accept anything less unless one absolutely had to. I made the decision to pass up a faster, snappier system(AVLinux), for something that I still feel is far superior(KXStudio). In my mind, you simply cannot have an audio distrobution without all of KXStudio's software suite embedded into it.
autostatic
Established Member

Re: ARCH system

Post by autostatic »

What are you using now and what is unstable about it?