Drag & Drop Midi Carla

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

straighttothebar
Established Member

Drag & Drop Midi Carla

Post by straighttothebar »

Hi,

I use Carla to load a (windows) vsti called Addictive Drums. After routing MIDI and audio to the proper channels in Ardour 3 I can hear sound and record and what not.. so all good there.

Now, for those familiar with AD, inside the GUI there is this "beat list" window where one can choose different MIDI files (drum patterns really). In windoze I was able to drag and drop the pattern I wanted from the VSTi to the daw, where the notes then appeared on the MIDI track. This dragging and dropping does not work on linux. I was wondering what is responsible for this ( is it Ardour, KDE, wine, Carla,..) and if there is any way to solve this?

Thanks,
danboid
Established Member

Re: Drag & Drop Midi Carla

Post by danboid »

I've never used AD nor tried dnd with a win32 VSTi but the problem is likely that A3 doesn't support dnd for VST plugins.

The VSTi will only be programmed to expect/accept windows style file name paths so the plugin host would have to convert a Linux to a Windows style path, most likely, for this to work. Do any hosts do this? I dunno.
gazpacho
Established Member

Post by gazpacho »

If you find the midi file with the drum pattern within your AD files, you only have to open it in any midi import capable program, if draggin dont work, just find it and open it explicitly.
straighttothebar
Established Member

gazpacho wrote:If you find the midi file with the drum pattern within your AD files, you only have to open it in any midi import capable program, if draggin dont work, just find it and open it explicitly.
Yeah, thats how I do it atm, but surely you understand it would have been more effecient to just drag n drop.
falkTX wrote:This has nothing to do with Carla, but just Wine.
There are things Wine supports better than others, and this is one of the poor supported ones.

You shouldn't rely on Windows software under linux anyway.
Without wanting to open the discussion between windoze vs linux, there is really not much that can compete with VSTi's like AD, ezdrummer, etc.. No matter how much I try to tweak Hydrogen (native linux drum vsti) to a sound I like, its not working for me, but hey maybe I'm just not experienced enough. And I did buy AD, so its harder to say goodbye to something you spent money on then to say goodbye to free software..

Alright, so it seems to be a Wine issue. Thanks for the answers guys.
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

straighttothebar wrote: there is really not much that can compete with VSTi's like AD, ezdrummer, etc.. .
You clearly have never seen me play my midi drums. :mrgreen:
Nor were you around before VSTi and know how to do these things without the plugin doing much of it for you.

Keep trying homey you'll get there :)
straighttothebar
Established Member

ToddMWorth wrote:You clearly have never seen me play my midi drums.
Ok you got me there. But are you available for download in form of a .deb file? Aha, thought so :P
ToddMWorth wrote:Nor were you around before VSTi and know how to do these things without the plugin doing much of it for you.
Wiki tells me VST was released somewhere around 1996. Back then I was a rockstar, dear ToddMWorth, in a heavy metal band with real steel drums and self-made cables and mics that produced feedback like there was no tomorrow.. and we toured and roamed in Flanders Fields underneath the metal sky for many years! We partied and drunk like racehorses, I kid you not. But then they all got children and wifes and what not, and now, in 2013, I am in need of a drag and drop possbility in wine.. So sad.

But dont you tell me anymore I wasn't around my friend :p

Hold the hammer high! :)